AMX-10RAC

Would you like to see the AMX-10RAC in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Hello everyone, and welcome to the suggestion for the AMX-10RAC. This is a somewhat obscure variant of the famous AMX-10RC, the only major change of which is the replacement of the TK 105 turret with a TS 90 turret armed with a 90mm CS90 F4 gun, capable of firing APFSDS and HEAT-FS ammunition. Currently, this turret is in-game on the MARS 15 light tank, and as French players will know, this unfortunately means it doesn’t have a stabilizer. However, I do still think the AMX-10RAC could find its place in the French tree. If you have any more pictures or information on this vehicle, I would welcome it. With that said, let’s find out more about it.

History

An AMX-10RC of the Franco-German Brigade in Bavaria, September 1987.

The AMX-10RC was developed through the 1970s, intending to fill a role in the French Army as a recon vehicle capable of taking out heavy armor if need be. It entered service in 1979, replacing the Panhard EBR. The comparatively large 105mm F2 gun allowed the AMX-10RC and its crew to take out heavily armored targets while still performing their roles as reconnaissance. A couple years before the AMX-10RC entered service, however, GIAT revealed the TS 90 modular turret, equipped with a CS90 F4 gun. This turret could be equipped on a number of common vehicle types, such as the MOWAG Piranha or the M113.

A description of the TS 90 turret from Satory VII.

While the AMX-10RC was an impressive vehicle in its own right, it also proved to be expensive, and as such, only a few hundred were ever produced. GIAT, in an attempt to remedy this, proposed its TS 90 turret. This combination was showcased for the first time at Satory IX in 1983, and reduced the cost of the vehicle by 20%, and also reduced its weight by nearly 1 ton. The vehicle, named AMX-10RAC, featured the TS 90 turret, itself housing the CS90 F4 gun capable of firing various types of ammunition, notably the OFL 90 F1 APFSDS round. It featured a 2-man electrically powered turret, with elevation being done manually via a two-speed gearbox. In total, 20 rounds could be stored in the turret, with 16 in the bustle, and 4 in baskets. Secondary armament consisted of a 7.62 mm AAN-F1 machine gun, however it was also possible to mount a 12.7mm M2 machine gun on the turret roof as well, as seen in a photo below.

An AMX-10RAC, note the different turret shape compared to the above AMX-10RC. This example seems to mount a 12.7mm M2 machine gun.

Ammunition of the 90mm F4 gun from SAMM’s TTB190 Commercial brochure.

While the AMX-10RAC was optimistic, it was ultimately not adopted by either the French Army or any other nations as with the AMX-10RC. Despite concerns over its cost, the AMX-10RC would continue to serve the French Army into the 2020s, seeing a number of upgrades over its service life. As for the TS 90 turret itself, it would still prove itself to the French, being used on the ERC 90 Sagaie and VBC 90, the former of which last saw use in French service in 2013 in Mali.

An AMX-10RC prepares to fire down range during a tank bilateral range during Exercise Bold Alligator 17 at Camp Lejeune, N.C., Oct. 27, 2017.

Specifications
  • Crew: 3
  • Length: 8.47 m
  • Width: 2.78 m
  • Height: 2.48 m
  • Mass: 14.8 t (Fully loaded)
  • Main armament: 90 mm CS90 F4
  • Main armament ammunition: 37 rounds; 20 in turret, 17 in the hull
  • Secondary armament: 1× 7.62 mm AAN-F1 machine gun & 1× 12.7mm M2 machine gun (optional
  • Secondary armament ammunition: 3,200 rounds of 7.62mm and 1,050 12.7mm
  • Defensive armament: 4× Smoke launchers, 2× per side of the turret
  • Engine: 300 hp 6F11 SRX
  • Maximum speed: 80 km/h
  • Fording: Amphibious
  • Amphibious speed: 10 km/h
  • Trench: 1.15 m
  • Vertical obstacle: 0.70 m
Sources
Gallery

3 Likes

+1 would be a nice event vehicle

Why not? +1

I’m going to be honest, I voted no, but it’s because I would prefer that they put the ERC-90 Sagaie first since I think they have the same turret and the ERC-90 Sagaie was used in combat.

1 Like

Is it an AMX 10 RC with ERC90 turret?

Yes +1

Both vehicles use the TS 90 turret.