Amphibious Combat Vehicle (ACV-30): Replacing the USMC’s Venerable AAV

Do you want to see the ACV-30 added to War Thunder?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

304px-Emblem_of_the_United_States_Marine Amphibious Combat Vehicle (ACV-30): Replacing the USMC’s Venerable AAV

approved-photo-of-acv-30.jpg2.jpg?w=1240

An ACV-30 during trials.

• Basic Description:
    • The ACV-30, or Amphibious Combat Vehicle, is an infantry fighting vehicle originally based off of the Italian Iveco SuperAV, that is being adopted by the United States Marine Corps. The program, dubbed Amphibious Combat Vehicle, began in March, 2015 after the previous program, the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV), was cancelled in 2011 due to reliability issues. The new ACV program was tailored to replace the long-running Amphibious Assault Vehicles (AAV) that the USMC has been operating since the 1970’s. The new focus of this program was on increasing speed and lethality during amphibious operations. This led to the competition between ST Kinetics/SAIC’s TERREX 2 and BAE/Iveco’s SuperAV. Ultimately BAE/Iveco won the competition. There are 4 main variants of the ACV being offered, the baseline ACV-P which is designed to carry personnel, ACV-C which is the command variant for situational awareness and C2, the ACV-R for field maintenance and recovery operations, and the improved lethality variant featuring a 30mm main gun which would later be dubbed the ACV-30. All ACV variants from BAE/Iveco features a 690hp turbocharged diesel engine for enhanced speeds through water with the ability to upgrade in the future, modular armor, and the capability to wade through water at speeds of 6-7kmph at a sea state of 3. Even with the 30mm turret, the ACV maintains it’s amphibious capability and still maneuver in the higher sea states.
    • After BAE’s ACV was selected in 2018, low-rate production began. In 2020, initial ACV-P’s were delivered with ACV-C’s delivered in 2022. According to Congressional Reports, by FY2025, the USMC will be fielding the ACV-30 however there was much deliberation on what turret will be utilized for the gun-variant of the ACV. Options included the OTO Melara Hitfist OWS which is already offered on the Iveco SuperAV as well as the Leonardo Hitrole. However, the only field tested and approved turret the military has selected was the Kongsberg MCT-30. In 2020, the Marine Corps eventually selected the Kongsberg MCT-30 to be incorporated on the ACV, which can feature advanced technologies such as Laser Warning Receivers, incorporation of Javelin and Stinger missiles, and a Kongsberg Protector RWS. The main gun utilized is the widely used 30mm Mk. 44 Bushmaster II Automatic Cannon capable of firing ammunition to meet whatever threat that the ACV comes across. Right above the main gun is the coaxial gun that can be reloaded from the inside.
    • The ACV program is broken up into two phases, phase 1 and phase 2. Phase 1 will be a standard acquisition plan, first acquiring the different variants of the vehicle while phase 2 is focused on further developing the speed and deployment capabilities, allowing the vehicles to be deployed from 13-15kts. Further emphasis will be on increasing the overall speed of the ACV without sacrificing the armor and weaponry of the vehicle.
    • Overall the ACV-30 will be the cornerstone of the United States Marine Corps, capable of meeting many different needs whether they are short range air defense, fire support, or continuing its base function of moving personnel. An estimated 50-75 vehicles are currently in use by the USMC for operational testing with the potential to grow by several hundred.
  • Specifications:
    • Role: Amphibious IFV
    • Origin: Italy/USA
    • Operator: United States Marine Corps
    • Armament:
      • Turret: Kongsberg MCT-30 Remote Turret
        • Primary: 30mm Mk. 44 Bushmaster II Automatic Cannon
          • Ammunition:
            • Mk 258 APFSDS-T
            • Mk 238 HEI-T/SD
            • Mk 264 MPLD-T
            • Mk 310 HEAB-T (Airburst)
        • Coaxial: 7.62mm M240C Machine Gun
        • Roof-Mounted: 12.7mm Protector Remote Weapon Station
        • Optional:
          • Anti-tank Guided Missile Launcher:
            • FGM-184 Javelin Missile
              • Characteristics:
                • Mass: 15.9kg (Missile/Tube)
                • Length:
                  • Missile: 1.1m
                  • Launch Tube: 1.2m
                • Diameter:
                  • Missile: 127mm
                  • Launch Tube: 142mm
                • Target Acquisition: Fire and Forget
                • Guidance: Infrared Homing
                • Engine: Solid-fuel Rocket
                • Warhead:
                  • Type: Tandem-charge HEAT
                  • Weight: 8.4kg
                  • Penetration:
                    • 750mm through RHA
                    • 600mm through RHA w/ ERA
                • Detonation Mechanism: Impact
                • Effective Range: 4,750m (from vehicles)
                • Flight Patterns: Top Attack & Direct-Fire
                • Max Height: 150m Top Attack/60m Direct-Fire
          • Anti-Aircraft Quad-Missile Launcher:
            • FIM-92 Stinger Missile
              • Characteristics:
                • Mass: 10.1kg
                • Length:
                  • Missile: 1.1m
                  • Launch Tube: 1.2m
                • Diameter:
                  • Missile: 70mm
                • Target Acquisition: All-Aspect
                • Guidance: Infrared Homing
                • Engine: Solid-fuel Rocket
                • Warhead:
                  • Type: High Explosive
    • Dimensions:
      • Length: 9.2m
      • Width: 3.1m
      • Height: 2.9m
      • Weight: 35-40t
    • Mobility :
      • Engine: 690hp - Turbocharged Diesel Engine
      • Max Speed: 105km/h (~6km/h in water)
      • Transmission: ZF 7HP902 Fully-automatic Transmission (7-Forward, 1-Reverse)
      • Suspension: 8 x 8
  • Crew:
    • Commander
    • Gunner
    • Driver
  • Features:
    • Laser Rangefinder
    • Optional: Laser Warning System
    • 8x 76mm Smoke Grenade Launchers
    • Amphibious
    • Armor:
      • Hull:
        • STANAG Level 4.
        • Further upgraded with modular armor.
      • Turret:
        • STANAG 4569 Level 1
        • Upgradable to STANAG 4569 Level 4
    • Optics:
      • Gunner: 3rd-generation Thermal Imager
      • Commander: Protector RWS (3rd-generation Thermal Imager)
      • Driver: Night Vision Device
  • In-game :
    • Fully loaded, the ACV-30 is a true multi-purpose platform armed with the most advanced technologies to target any vehicle, whether it be aircraft, helicopters, tanks, or light vehicles. For it’s main gun alone it is capable of firing APFSDS-T and Airburst rounds. On the defensive side this vehicle is heavily armored and features a laser warning system to provide the operator warning of laser rangefinders or missiles. This vehicle will be quite deadly and will reinforce the light vehicle line before the HSTV-L.
    • Estimated Battle Rating: 10.3.
  • Sources:
    1. https://www.naval-technology.com/analysis/featureus-marine-corps-acv-competition-profiling-the-contenders-5806031/
    2. https://sgp.fas.org/crs/weapons/IF11755.pdf
    3. Amphibious Combat Vehicle
    4. armored combat vehicle 30-millimeter cannon amphibious assault | Military Aerospace
    5. https://www.kongsberg.com/newsandmedia/news-archive/20202/bae-systems-selects-kongsbergs-mct-30-turret-for-u.s.-marine-corps-acv-program/#:~:text=The KONGSBERG MCT-30 is,wheeled or tracked combat vehicles.
    6. https://www.baesystems.com/en-us/product/amphibious-combat-vehicle
    7. ACV to get Stryker variant of 30mm cannon
    8. Kongsberg MCT-30 30mm Turret Selected for USMC ACV
    9. The USMC Already Wants To Up-Gun Its New Amphibious Combat Vehicle With A 30mm Cannon
    10. PROTECTOR MCT-30 - Fighting-Vehicles.com
    11. https://www.gd-ots.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/30x173mm-Ammunition-Suite.pdf
    12. Javelin Weapon System | Lockheed Martin
    13. https://asc.army.mil/web/portfolio-item/javelin/
    14. Javelin missile: Made by the US, wielded by Ukraine, feared by Russia
    15. Stinger FIM-92 man portable air defense missile system MANPADS data
  • Imagery (Note: Due to lack of imagery, photos of the baseline ACV will be used as well):

ACV_30_mm_cannon_15_Sept_2021.6140f18a9b

A fully equipped ACV-30 demonstrator showing the capabilities of the MCT-30 turret, LWS, ATGM’s, SAM’s, rear sensors including crew compartment thermal sight, and more.

1573680659726-1170x610.jpg

ACV-30 during field testing

marine-corps-amphibious-combat-vehicle.j

Baseline ACV-P armored with a remote weapon station.

6066904.jpg

Baseline ACV during amphibious operations.

MCT-30.jpg.a912e0b65c9c4afdf6e12ed01a124

198581947_RoundFeatures.jpg.3227017d6e4e

30mm Round Specifications by General Dynamics.

22 Likes

Open For Discussion

1 Like

Hi bro. Will you copy your suggestion about Ukraine in War Thunder to this forum? And please DM me, i have something to say, that is not for everyone’s eyes

5 Likes

I’d love USA getting some auto cannons that arent AA but we defiantly need the LAV-25 first or along side this.

10 Likes

Wheeled vehicles are fun 👍

Same turret as the French VBCI-2 (MCT30) recently added, re-usable asset 👍

Something to fill the gap in the techtree between the M60A2 and the M1128 👍

40mm gun and ATGM (and APS?) upgrade would be cool to see as modifications or variants

6 Likes

Yes absolutely. Really need something similar to Russias 2S38 & bmp etc with their rapid fire that destroys us in 2 seconds. Although they are smaller vehicles with lower profile and can move through cities better, LAV - 25 and the above mentioned still would be nice to have if it’s our only options with autocannons etc.

4 Likes

Honestly wouldnt this go after the Bradley as its an IFV/AAV?

I just cant see it after the M60A2 as its not a TD. I think the LAV-AT and LAV-105 should go there

3 Likes

They might just do tracked on one side and wheeley boiz on the other. Either way it both works.

2 Likes

Oh yeah completely forgot about that side. May fit better there. 👍

I didnt realize there was a tracked model! Id love for it to have the javelin too.

Also, damn this forum feels so empty compared to the last one. Confusing too. Bums me out

Sorry I didn’t mean it like there was a tracked or wheeled variant. I was saying they could do wheeled vehicles such as the ACV-30, M1134, and M1128 in line 5 and have the tracked IFV’s such as the Griffin III, Bradley’s, etc. in line 1.

I do agree the ACV-30 should come with Javelin’s though. It’s a unique way to add the javelin since not many vehicles use it. Especially since the ACV-30 is actively used by the USMC.

2 Likes

Wow, so we can actually copy previous suggestions and paste it to the new forums. Oh boi.

Yeah this is one of my suggestions from the old forum. I transferred it as a test to see if it would copy over right but it didn’t. The bullets got messed up and I had to remove some extra characters.

The original author can directly copy there suggestions but people can’t copy other’s work directly and post it on the new forum.

4 Likes

I’m just waiting until the pause on suggestions is lifted so I can port over my suggestions, its a shame that so much will be lost tho

Have they mentioned when will the restrictions be lifted? It’s been weird we can’t make suggestions in the new forums.

No mention yet. They’re still getting things set up.

would love to see this im assuming if it gets both stingers and javelins they’ll be swappable like the LAV-AD?

also how were you able to post this if the suggestions are locked still? just wondering

Probably got it in right as they closed them

1 Like

they’ve been closed since they went to this new format though?