AMD graphics card cannot enable ray tracing

Hello Gaijin!I’ve got an AMD graphics card, but I can’t turn on ray tracing. As you can see in the screenshot, the option is greyed out. Since AMD’s RDNA2 and RDNA3 cards support ray tracing, when can we expect to see this feature added to the game?

2 Likes

Did you select DX12 in the game launcher settings?

5 Likes

I’d totally spaced on this XD,Thanks for getting it sorted

It works on AMD but is broken for me. I see incorrect vehicle meshes and polygons in reflection.
Also ray traced ambient occlusion seems to not work(?)

1 Like

Ray tracing is not finished yet. It’s beta.

1 Like

Doas warthunder use Vulcan?

It can be used by rewriting the WT configuration file.
EDIT:WT primarily uses DirectX, but Valkan and Metal are available for Linux and macOS.

Which rises the follow up questions doas the vulkan version support raytracing?

The in-game description states, “To enable it, the use of the Direct3D 12 or Vulkan graphics API and a ray tracing capable graphics card are required.”

1 Like

Its clearly not ready, as muzzle flashes, fire and explosions have really weirdly positioned points that represents light sources. The Leo MG looks like a flashlight from within the barrel, rendering sharply edged low-poly shadow of the muzzle in the tanks roof.

In aspects like reflection, sun shadows, and global illumination it looks incredible! But it really needs work. And Ray Reconstruction could sharpen up those reflections with low cost:)

2 Likes

I wonder if they update the DLSS to 3.5 with ray reconstruction.

RTX 3050 and 1080p here. With all optoins ultra + ray tracing ultra and DLSS in quality mode I have around 60 fps with drops to 40-50. With DLSS off ai Have about 40fps with drops to 25-30. I tried medium/low ray tracing settings and it doesn’t change much.

And it already looks beautiful, worth waiting for. My favourite feature in this update.

Weird that ray tracing is not mentioned in the change log.

1 Like

I think it’s very early and not coming in the next update. I tested it around, and it seems inconsistent on how light sources have been realized from sprites and such from regular lighting effects, and not all maps seem to be ray traced different. For instance, on ray traced lighting, night battel on seversk-13 you can see that no light source from the map, no matter how bright their textures are, they don’t illuminate anything around them. Streetlights and big neon sings illuminate nothing around them.

I think you might be right and it will be released in December update. I wish all maps are reworked for ray tracing like abandoned factory, it actually may take a lot of time. Maybe even new trees and bushes they talked about last year.

On the one hand I hope you’re wrong xD but on the other it makes sense.

Abandoned Factory looks incredible with ray tracing! But I fear such a treatment for all the maps could take a long time, so let’s hope that’s not required before ray tracing become public:)

1 Like

Abandoned factory looks really nice now
And it doesn’t seam to change the gameplay at all which is a Very good thing

A bit of nitpicking. Feel free to skip anything below
There are a few Logic/realism errors
It’s abandoned factory Why is there smoke coming from the vents?

And while the water dropping from the pipes looks cool wen they get destroyed there is no water coming out, and again Why would an abandoned factory have water inside the pipes at all?

It’s obvious that ray-traced shadows are more detailed than current shadow map shadows, but I wonder if the game reproduces the “dynamic blurring of shadow contours” that ray tracing is good at.

Outdoors, the further away a shadow cast by an object is from the ground, the more blurred the shadow contours will be, but ray-traced shadows should be able to reproduce this well.

On my AMD RX6950XT and everything on ultra, the game keeps stuttering with halfed FPS (from 150 to 80) if not crashing completly

no DX 11 or 12

DX 12 still not being the standard is sad.
But yeah, makes sense, that a DX12 feature requires the game to run in DX 12…

Though I get artifacts with ray traced shadows of trees especially