Albatros D.VI

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

I would like to sugges the Albatros D.VI, it was a singe engine, push configuration, metal Biplane, twin-boom plane inteded for ground striking.

History:

It was only build 1 time at the end of 1917 as a dedicated armored and cannon ground attacker, however came too late and was abandond after beeing damaged on its landing after ts maiden flight in February 1918. On the crash the undercarrige was damaged on landing and was not repaired, instead its project was abandoned in May of 1918 because other projects had higher priority, its powerfull Mercedes D.IIIa engine of 180 Ps was reused and taken off.

It was a very strong redesigne of the D.V, with as written above for a new roll changed engine layout from the front to the back, to have the 20mm Becker M.II in a fixed and central position, as the gun could duo to its construcion and API Blowback not be syncronised. While the push configuration was nothing new, and allready in use on multiple other planes of Germany and other nations, they usually were on bigger planes with multiple engines. The aircraft showed slight ballance issues, as well as duo to its designed, it was also tried to keep the weight and size low, which led to some instabilits, which resulted in the crashing after lading with undercarrige failure.

After that the project was abandoned, in favour of other ground attack aircraft, with instead flexible 20mm Becker M.II guns and the continued Albatros D.VII development (and next generation planes) were again in a pull configuration with front engine as pure fighters, even becomming high deck monoplanes.

In game it would be certainly a 1.0 Plane, with relatively usable armarment and fit next to the Po-2 in the current gameplay. It would show the very early (WW1) development of German Aircraft and Bombers.

However far more interesting would this plane be in a dedicated WW1 Mode, as it would be adequat in line with most other aircraft as well as the cannon armarment of 1x 20mm Becker M.II gun would easily be usable for its indended roll, Tank hunting, with AP rounds the thin 5,5 mm roof armor of the Mark tanks can easily be pierced. It would be in line of the different Ground stikers for WW1, with twin and single engine planes for Germany. And a single LMG 08/15 both in the front nose.

The overall designe of a push configuration was chosen, as the fireing through the propeller blades with synconisation was still in its starting place, as well as duo to the API Blowback action of the Becker M.II, it was impossible to syncronise.

Sadly to my knowlege there is no surviving photo, except a basic drawing from the front, but overall it looks also similar to the Airco-DH2, as such i will also add a picture of it, for better visualisation.
As well as the Albatross C.II, which is also of the Pusher configuration.

Picture:(Click to show)

(As visualisation the Airco-DH2, looking similar.)
(And the Albatross C.II)

The Armarment:
1x Frontal fixed 7,92mm MG 08/15 (600 rpm, 19,5kg, 721mm Barrle) With K-Geschoss around 16mm Penetration.
1x Frontal Fixed 20mm Becker M.II

2 cm Becker M.II
Pictures:(Click to show)

One of the first modern type 20mm Cannon and served as the basis for the later Oerlikon 20mm FF guns. Using the API Blowback action. It was Intended as a AA and AT gun, on ground, vehicles and planes/airships. Later M3 variant was heavyer, reducing the fire rate to 250 rpm but velocity to 700m/s.
It was intended as 20mm, to not be a warcrime to have an explosive filling, overall the ammo layout was also quite modern, with multiple AP rounds, HE rounds as well as incendary rounds.

Caliber: 20mm

Ammo: 20x70mmRB Becker

Fire Rate: 325 rpm

Single Shot, Full auto, 15 rounds Magazin

Muzzle velocity: 490-500m/s

Weight: 30kg

Mounting: Main Tank gun, Fixed and flexible

Ammo Types: Ap-T, I-T, I, HEI, HE

Summary Of ammo Drawings:(Click to show)

(The drawing isnt fully correct, as the nose is too thinn drawn.)

AP:

Panzergeschoß L'Spur Modell 1 (ApI-T) 145g 490m/s 18mm/10m

(Can be conciddered ApI-T, duo to huge tracer filling, made of Barium Nitrate, Magnesium and Shellac of 7g.)

Panzergeschoß L’Spur Modell 2 (ApI-T) (Identical to first one, different head form, see in above summary.)

HE:

Sprenggeschoß Modell 1 (He High capcity, Fuzeless) 137 g
5,5g TNT + 0,5g Pieic acid 495m/s (See ammo Summary)

Sprenggeschoß Modell 2 (He) 137g 5g TNT 495m/s

Incendary:

Brandgeschoß (I) 137g 12g Incendary 495m/s some penetration

Leuchtspurgeschoß (I-T) 144g Barium Nitrate, Magnesium, Shellac filler 11g 490m/s some penetration

(A bit incorrect here)

The Plane:
Albatross D.VI
General characteristics

• Crew: 1
  • Length: 7.75 m (25 ft 5 in)
  • Wingspan: 9.8 m (32 ft 2 in)
  • Empty weight: 638 kg (1,406 lb)
  • Gross weight: 880 kg (1,940 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Daimler D.IIIa , 130 kW (180 hp)

Source:
J.Herris Albatros Aircraft of WW1 Volume 4
The Complete Book of Fighters (W.Green, G.Swanborough)
Notes on German Shells (2nd Edition)

4 Likes

So cool +1