archangel-lomax_71267
General characteristics

• Length: 37.5 ft (11.4 m)
  • Wingspan: 59.25 ft (18.06 m)
  • Height: 13 ft (4.0 m)
  • Wing area: 401 sq ft (37.3 m2)
  • Empty weight: 7,836 lb (3,554 kg) no armor or weapons
  • Gross weight: 16,000 lb (7,257 kg)
  • Fuel capacity: wing tanks: 380 U.S. gallons (1,400 L; 320 imp gal) and fuselage tanks: 360 U.S. gallons (1,400 L; 300 imp gal)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney PT6A-67F turboprop, 1,600 hp (1,200 kW)
  • Propellers: 5-bladed Hartzell Propeller Titanium Dome

Performance

• Maximum speed: 213 kn (245 mph, 394 km/h) at 10,000 feet (3,000 m) with no weapons
  • Cruise speed: 180 kn (210 mph, 330 km/h) patrolling speed at 10,000 feet (3,000 m)
  • Stall speed: 91 kn (105 mph, 169 km/h) at max gross weight
  • Range: 1,303 nmi (1,499 mi, 2,413 km) full fuel at 8,000 feet (2,400 m)

The AT-802U Sky Warden is a derivative of the Air Tractor AT-802, which was originally developed for agricultural purposes. The AT-802 series aircraft have a long history of being used in crop dusting and aerial application missions due to their rugged design and reliability. The transition of the AT-802 into a military role began with the need for a specialized aircraft capable of conducting light attack and armed reconnaissance missions in austere and permissive environments, particularly for counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations.

The development of the AT-802U Sky Warden specifically for military applications was initiated by the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM). Following the Tongo Tongo incident in October 2017, where U.S. and Nigerien soldiers were ambushed by militants, highlighting the need for a nimble and flexible Armed Overwatch platform, SOCOM launched a search for such a capability. After a selection process, SOCOM chose a modified version of the Air Tractor AT-802, which was developed in collaboration with L3Harris, for the Armed Overwatch mission.

In August 2022, SOCOM announced the selection of the AT-802U Sky Warden for the Armed Overwatch program, awarding a contract to produce 75 aircraft. This marked a significant milestone in the history of the aircraft, transitioning it from its agricultural roots to a dedicated military platform. The Sky Warden’s design incorporates features such as ballistic armor, self-sealing fuel tanks, and a rugged airframe, making it well-suited for the demanding operational environments faced by special operations forces.

Since its selection, production of the Sky Warden has been underway, with plans for the aircraft to replace aging fleets of aircraft such as the U-28A Draco ISR aircraft. The Sky Warden’s capability to provide surveillance, close air support, and precision strike capabilities at a fraction of the cost of traditional air assets has positioned it as a valuable asset for military operations. With ongoing testing and evaluation, the AT-802U Sky Warden continues to evolve to meet the evolving needs of special operations forces and other military units around the world.

Armament: The AT-802U Sky Warden is armed with diverse munitions, making it a formidable asset for various mission scenarios. Its armament includes GBU-12 Paveway II 500-pound bombs for precision strikes on ground targets, AGM-114 Hellfire Missiles designed for engaging armored vehicles and structures with accuracy, and stand-off precision-guided munitions launched from 8x common launch tubes, providing the capability for engaging targets from a distance. Additionally, the aircraft is equipped with 70 mm rockets such as the Hydra 70 or AGR-20 Advanced Precision Kill Weapons System, ideal for close air support and anti-personnel operations. With multiple hardpoints available, the Sky Warden can carry a versatile weapons loadout tailored to specific mission objectives, enhancing its effectiveness in providing close air support and conducting precision strikes.

hq720

What it adds in short:

1. Derived from the Air Tractor AT-802, originally an agricultural aircraft.
  2. Adapted for military use after the Tongo Tongo ambush in 2017 highlighted the need for a specialized platform for light attack and armed reconnaissance missions.
  3. Selected by SOCOM in August 2022 for the Armed Overwatch program.
  4. Developed in collaboration with L3Harris, featuring modifications such as ballistic armor and self-sealing fuel tanks.
  5. Designed for rugged operational environments and optimized for cost-effective surveillance and precision strike capabilities.
  6. Armament includes:
  • GBU-12 Paveway II 500-pound bombs
  • AGM-114 Hellfire Missiles
  • Stand-off precision-guided munitions launched from 8x common launch tubes
  • 70 mm rockets (e.g., Hydra 70 or AGR-20 Advanced Precision Kill Weapons System)

Sources:

7 Likes

+1 I feel like it would be in the same boat as the A1H, so event vehicle? Either way it would be a super cool addition!

6 Likes

+1 Would love in game! Would also love A-37 dragonfly!

3 Likes

@whopper098 Some sources were saying it could be armed with a .50 cal or a 20mm and the one for T&P mentioned this.

3 Likes

dusty crophopper

2 Likes

LMAO!! If added I hope that’s a skin option

1 Like

YES YES YES ALL THE YES!!!

It should be well-known by now how much I adore light attack/armed trainer/COIN aircraft, and the Sky Warden is the pinnacle of that design! I have wanted it added since it was first made public, and I will not stop wanting it for any reason at all! +11111111111111111111111111111111111

3 Likes

aight

This right?
845d25425ddfb3b11c5ca6609d1fd400

5 Likes

I can’t see the picture.

colorblind?

what about this one:

Depending on aviable payload and subsequent BR placement its either gonna be busted or useless.

That is the Dragonfly, yes. It was based on a trainer aircraft.

No, it just didn’t load the picture. However that is the one

ok I can make a suggestion on it

Yeah sure thanks

Save your energy:

1 Like

i’m not sure about this one, can it carry a gun , or a gun pod? if yes then sure why not

…this is the official code facing enemies with sandals and AK 47s without a working air defense.

So as already written in the dragonfly suggestion:

Nice job preparing the proposal, interesting equipment for COIN / asymmetric warfare - but wt is not offering this.

Ever thought about its BR? You have either a 1.0 plane just because of the speed or a Cold War II (= after 1991) plane you can shoot down with bow and arrow…

yes it can carry gun pods

1 Like