AIM-9Ms for the F-14B?

The F-14B was pretty good for a while but now it’s outclassed by the F-16C in every way but raw missile count and flare count. However, IRL it could carry the AIM-9M, which would make it at least comparable to the F-16C (it would still have a worse flight model though).

• Add AIM-9M and keep it at 12.0
  • Add AIM-9Ms and move it to 12.3
  • Don’t add AIM-9Ms/add them later
0 voters
5 Likes

Maybe add F-14D on 12.3 with 9M?

5 Likes

The F-14D would be better than 12.3 largely due to the radar + IRST and TCS. It also may end up having the most diverse A2A weapon set for US aircraft depending on what the devs give it.

2 Likes

What is TCS?

Television Camera System or AN/AAX-1. The pod under the nose. The F-14B has it but it’s not modeled to its true capabilities. F-14s with TCS (and later the IRST) could slave the radar (and all sensors) to a locked target and it would be capable of maintaining a lock through the notch.

That’s the simplified explanation. The F-14 discussion page has some documentation on it and there’s a F-14 podcast where pilots discuss how they would manage the different systems.

1 Like

Is that different to TARPS? Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance Pod System - Wikipedia

Yeah, TARPS was a photo recon pod that was huge and in the tunnel between the engines. The TCS and IRST were A2A systems.

Tomcat Chinpods

5 Likes

It was planned to have AIM-120s but they were never added due to budget issues, so realistically it’d have AIM-9M/AIM-7M/MH/AIM-54 (and various ground attack weapons). Not super diverse but at least a bit more so than just 9M/7M

The 1985 SAC for the D has AMRAAM loadouts. For some aircraft in game, that is enough to get a weapon added.

5 Likes

Yep, as we can see gaijin started to add experimental vehicles and weapons in the game, so it’s possible.

1 Like

Thats some good news i didnt realize existed!

1 Like

Yes it should get them and be moved to 12.3 or 12.7 (F-15 should be moved up too).

See page i-5, and Table i-3 on page i-10 "AIM-9 Capable Simulators. The document states, “The AIM-9M can be employed on several Navy and Marine Corps tactical aircraft. The AIM-9M has been integrated on F-14…”.

They were able to use aim120 they where test successful just weren’t in service cause of budget

2 Likes