AGM-65H for other planes?

Not much to say, its just stupid that they make AGM-65H exclusive to new plane, why it didnt come to F-16C, Gr.7, Brit and Swed Jas-39, Kurnass?
Well, its ok if some countries hadnt bought them, but definetly USA can get it.

Also problem to even in the HEAT Mavs, but how TV/IR guidance implemented in the game, if im not mistaken i saw that new AGM-65H finaly started to hit tank roofs instead of drivers and turret front so if they finaly fixed it Heat maws should one shoot tanks almost all the time but i havnt downloaded dev to confirm that.

Generaly AGM-65D better bc its much lighter so it flies faster and HEAT warhead powrfull enough to kill all crew in the tank turret it just newer hits it.

1 Like

It was on the GR7 in the dev so its probably coming for that

H was never used by the GR7 think this post is specifically about the 65H

1 Like

Sorry i the names of mavericks confusing me i thought he was talking about the new one

1 Like

65H and 65G are new. The 65H is the new HEAT and 65G the SAP-HE.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

The AGM-65H is to the -65K as the -65G is to the -65F, the only differences are minor changes to make them more suited to shipboard use.

That and they use the newer CCD seeker.

Excuse me, AGM-65K for Air Force or Naval aircraft

F-16C Block 50 trial or access AGM-65H ?

I’m wondering Harrier GR.7 from RN trial or fire AGM-65E

i think this post is also applicable to AGM65G

All the gripens in game should have AGM-65D/G/H

USAF, its a -65G (WDU-24/B, 80lb Octol SAP-HE warhead) refitted with the new CCD seeker.

The -65J is an -65F refitted with the new CCD seeker, and as such was planned to be remanufactured for the USN, but is functionally interchangeable with the -65K, so may not have been procured to simplify logistics and lower unit price,

The -65H is an -65A, -65B or -65D (WDU-20/B 86lb Comp. B-4, HEAT warhead) refitted with the CCD seeker, and is jointly used by both services.

Some details of more modern variants can be found;

Smin said it was being reviewed, but not going to be part of this update

I’ve also reported the -65F /-65G for the A-7E & A-10A (Thanks Gunjob)

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/DQVcEbp6pedZ

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/cz09XoPRMtPc

We do know it is present in the manual, and that all AV-8Bs could carry up to 4 of them on stations 2,3 & 5,6. Though self designation capabilities (and AGM-65F) were only added with the Night Attack / GR.7 variant.

1 Like

i’m sorry to ask this, but what CCD is actually doing?
how is it different to the usual AGM-65B?
i read what CCD is but it really does not explain what do they do as a seeker.

Basically the -65A/B is an analog system that uses functional but very old (by modern standards) techniques to provide a baseline level of capability, It was a massive step up in accuracy at the time('67~'72) but the actual performance wasn’t very good take for example the results from this live firing exercise.

It utilizes ~35 years('~1965 though 2002) of advancements in microelectronics to basically to improve the performance of the seeker significantly. and digitizes most of the systems, allowing for much more complicated detection and track algorithms(similar to the IIR seekers (-65D / -F /-65G)) to be used and so improve performance, let alone the qualitative improvements to the detector.

In game the current performance of all Mavericks are overperforming somewhat, should the bug report that I am writing at the moment get implemented , the -65B’s range may be reduced from between 50~75%(And the -65A’s is half that), and based on what we do know of the CCD seeker, this would restore the level of performance to current levels.

2 Likes

I guess for F-16CM Block 50 from USA tech tree probably skip AGM-65H to AGM-65H2 instead of second major update and add AGM-65K replace AGM-65D at the same time

I feel A-7E trial AGM-65F but never seen in operational

No problem A-10A Late armed AGM-65G and report gajin add AGM-65G on A-10A Late of this major update

But unsure A-10A Early in premium tree deploy AGM-65G like A-10A Late ?

In the future I assume that A-10C Late with IR AAM AIM-9M-9, 3rd generation targeting pod (Litening AT or Sniper XR), AGM-65G-2 & AGM-65K Maverick, Paveway LGB and JDAM & LJDAM

AV-8B Night Attack from USMC BR same Harrier GR.7 in Air RB/Air SB & Ground RB but none targeting pod, and armed guided Air-to-Ground ordinance Paveway II LGB and AGM-65E & AGM-65F Maverick

Possibly, though if we are being accurate to the specific timeframe / loading restrictions.
The LAU-88A/A may be required to Slant Load, and so only be able to load 2x per station(pending stores carried on adjacent stations). Or due to them being phased out of service be replaced by the LAU-117A/A.

So there would be some advantage to retaining an Ahistoric -65D / LAU-88/A configuration, also the IIR seeker may be resistant to some obscurants, so there is some reasons that they may remain.

I can’t say for sure, but they were at least trialed, so should be a potential addition considering how the A-7E struggles somewhat at 10.7 with only access to GBUs, and that remote control capacity won’t be added.

Might be slightly late to make it into the update, don’t know but it should turn up by the next if it doesn’t make it in time.

I don’t know explicitly what configuration the Early is supposed to represent, but the -65G became an option for the A-10 in '89.

It is an option, though I’d prefer it it also had access to the GBU-39B/B (adds terminal SALH seeker to basic INS/GPS capability), And APAM APKWS II 2.75" (AGR-20) rockets.

A-10C w/ 4x BRU-61, 16x SDB I

A-10C_ BRU-61A w GBU-39_SDB

The AV-8B(NA) should have access to the LITENING (?-AT?) pod and ITER (allow 3x GBU-12 per station), the -B+ would additionally have AMRAAMs and AGR-20.

from what i can understand, the upgrade basically change the warhead and seeker for better kill and range?
anything else still the same, like how they can lock and recognize the target?

Kinematically its the same missile since the motor and control surfaces were not changed, apart from the added weight contributing to maintaining inertia so ever so slightly better glide performance for the HE warhead variants, the early variants were very much limited by their seekers ability to track a target so the change to SALH (AGM-65C & -65E) or IIR (AGM-65D, -65F, -65G), was certainly a good thing.

Each of the warheads are optimized for a different target set(Vehicles & armored targets, and Ships & Bunkers respectively) that might be encountered, since the Maverick is used as both; part of an independent Hunter- Killer flight, and as CAS ordnance item to support ground forces depending on what they come up against.

The big issue is that the HEAT as a whole has been balanced so fragmentation / overpressure is very much underwhelming(I am working on a bug report that may get it revised[using figures relating the M151 and M247 2.75" rocket warheads to one another], though I’m 98% certain that I’m going to be told to pound sand so i need to be careful not to overreach).

so (GP)HE designs are still the meta, and so the Maverick loses out its main use case and advantage over its counterparts (Kh-23, -25, -29, -38, AGM-12B, AGM-12C etc. ), you get to carry 3x per station so there is basically no reason to take them over a GBU where possible.

No, The -65D’s seeker digitized their guidance algorithms and work in a much more advanced way. The =65F /-65G add an alternate mode that allows them to track zero contrast target points, via correlation techniques, in place of the normal Contrast methods

Its difficult to explain simply, but as an abstract; the Electro-Optical(AGM-65A & B) Seekers work directly on Visual contrast apparent in the scene, and so compute the centroid location of the target (due to the pilot selecting it) then uses Proportional Navigation techniques (the same way a Sidewinder / Sparrow does) to maintain the intercept course, the limiting factor for Lock on is the size of the Target in the gate, and so depend on the actual size of the target.

The IIR Seeker uses works on Thermal contrast, and digital pixels, instead of an analog video output of the earlier seekers. Since the Seeker is very sensitive (can pick on on sub degree kelvin(centigrade) temperature variations) it images a scene that is very noisy so needs to be cleaned up before it can be properly processed;

This is accomplished by figuring out the values for coldest point in the Scene, and the hottest within the targeting gate; and then assigning each pixel in the Scene to one of eight grey levels(Black, White & six grey levels) evenly spaced over the aforementioned range to produce a contrast map.

This mapping is then processed to produce the target’s centroid and passed on the the guidance stage as seen with the Electro-Optical Maverick, the advantage of using IIR is that Black body emissions don’t depend on the Target’s actual size, but its temperature and emissivity and so bypass a significant constraint on tactical sized targets, so for some targets; say a Chemical Plant or Oil Jack this can significantly outstrip the Missiles performance or Thermal battery so can lead to issues in specific cases.

We don’t know How the CCD Seeker works exactly, but its safe to assume its very similar to the IIR seeker.

1 Like