[What kind of aircraft should it be for?]
  • F-86F-40
  • F-104J
  • F-86F-40 and F-104J
  • No
0 voters

JASDF_AAM-1_Dummy
AAM-1/Type 69 air-to-air guided munitions
The AAM-1 is a Japanese attempt to create its own short-range missile based on the AIM-9B.The manufacturer was Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.
History
The story begins in 1956, when the Defense Agency’s Technical Research Laboratory began internal research and partial production of prototype air-to-air missiles, and in 1958 began technical research.The results of these tests were very promising, so in 1961 a research and development concept based on the requirements of the Air Self-Defense Force was established. The requirements were that the AAM-1 rocket should have performance similar to or better than the AIM-9B.The results of these tests were very promising, so in 1961 a research and development concept based on the requirements of the Air Self-Defense Force was established. The requirements were that the AAM-1 rocket should have performance similar to or better than the AIM-9B. Thanks to previous work and reverse engineering, the prototype was ready as early as 1962, and in July 1963 tests from ground-based launchers began at the Niijima proving ground.From September to November 1965, take-off trials with the F-86F were conducted.Then, from July 1966, after three comprehensive performance tests with 38 missiles, after a practical test in 1967, it was formalized in 1969 and moved to the serial production stage.Production lasted two years from 1968 to 1969 and ended with the production of 400 rockets. It lasted so short because of three factors:

1. First, AAM-1 was 4 times more expensive than AIM9-B (AIM-9B = 1 million yen),( AAM-1 = from 3.5 million yen to 4.1 million yen),
  2. Second, there were a lot of delays during production.
  3. Thirdly, the AAM-1, despite the fact that the rocket was shorter than the AIM-9B, weighed 7 kg more, which meant that it had worse performance.
Photo

270px-JASDF_AAM-1_Seeker
Prospector Section^
270px-JASDF_AAM-1_Wing
Rear anti-roll bar^

Front stabilizer bar^
AAM-1
AAM-1 probably mounted on the F-104J^
imgf4732f4azik4zj
AIM-9B at the top and AAM-1 at the bottom^

General characteristics

• Year of manufacture :1968-69
  • Length: 240cm
  • Diameter: 15cm
  • Span :50cm
  • Weight: 76 kg

Performance

• Warhead Weight : The same as the AIM-9B
  • Guidance system : infrared homing
  • Maximum speed : 1.7 Mach
  • Operational range : 5km

Summary
Why add Type 69 air-to-air guided munitions to the game? Some will say that it is unnecessary because there are better missiles (AIM-9B), but in my opinion, this AAM-1 is an example of a native design that will bring a game change to Japan. This racquet should be available before the Sidewinder due to its inferior performance, but it will provide a choice.For a long time JASDF in War Thunder used only export equipment, only recently they added the AAM-3 missile, so why not add its grandfather (AAM-1) and father (AAM-2) and finally add products of its own industry for the Japanese Air Force. Every other country has its own missiles or licensed modified copies outside of Japan. I hope you share my opinion on this.I hope you share my opinion on this. Get ready for more, too: other Japanese missiles, both from World War 2 and the present day, will be arriving soon.
Finally, I apologize for the linguistic and logical errors because unfortunately English is not my main language and I had to use google translator.

Source

digidepo_1283286_po_TRDI50_07.pdf (ndl.go.jp)
ADA282389.pdf (dtic.mil)
AAM-1 (Japanese missile) - Wikipedia
誘導武器1967-1999 (mod.go.jp)
1976 | 2321 | Flight Archive
Wayback Machine (archive.org)
Amunicja kierowana powietrze-powietrze Typ 69 (ostra amunicja) (archive.org)
eca1153_280.pdf (kyoto-u.ac.jp)
6siryou4.pdf (ndl.go.jp)
Amunicja kierowana powietrze-powietrze Typ 69 – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia

6 Likes

+1

1 Like