A-4K Kahu - The modernized Kiwi

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

G’day lads. I was doing more research for more Kiwi (aka the people of New Zealand) vehicles, when I was surprised that the A-4K Kahu wasn’t even suggested here yet! So here I am suggesting it for a possible future aircraft for WT :)

Description:

Spoiler

The A-4K Kahu is an upgraded version of the A-4 Skyhawk attack aircraft, specifically modernized for the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) in the mid-1980s under Project Kahu. This upgrade included nearly 30 individual avionic and weapons systems, making it one of the most advanced versions of the A-4 Skyhawk. Key features of the A-4K Kahu include the Westinghouse AN/APG-66 radar, which was also used in the F-16 Fighting Falcon and optimized for maritime tracking. The aircraft’s avionics were upgraded to be allegedly equivalent to those of an F-16. The original A-4K airframe was based on the A-4F, with modifications such as a squared-off tail and the addition of a drag chute. The A-4K Kahu served with the RNZAF until 2001.

History:

Spoiler

Project Kahu was initiated to update the aging A-4 Skyhawks, which had been in service since 1970, and to enhance their capabilities to match modern jet fighters. The project was named after the Māori-language name for the New Zealand swamp harrier, symbolizing the aircraft’s renewed capabilities.

By 1982, it was evident that the RNZAF’s Skyhawk fleet needed modernization. A tender was opened, and the American company Lear Siegler Inc. was selected for the upgrade. In 1984, the program was approved, and ten additional Skyhawks were purchased from the Royal Australian Navy. The upgrade transformed the Skyhawks into a maritime strike force, a shift from their previous close support role. The New Zealand Government approved the tender in 1985, and the contract with Lear Siegler was signed in 1986. One of the first upgraded Skyhawks was the NZ 6202.

The upgrade involved nearly 30 individual avionic and weapons systems, making the A-4K Kahu one of the most advanced versions of the Skyhawk (aside from the Argentinian A-4 I guess). The most significant addition was the Westinghouse AN/APG-66 radar, optimized for maritime tracking. The aircraft’s avionics were upgraded to be equivalent to those of an F-16, and the airframe was modified with a squared-off tail and a drag chute, aswell as having a AN/ALR-66 RWR and AN/ALE-39 countermeasures. The work was completed by RNZAF staff at the No. 1 Repair Depot at Woodbourne, with contributions from local companies like Pacific Aerospace and Fisher & Paykel.

The A-4K Kahu served with the RNZAF until 2001, when they were controversially withdrawn from service without a direct replacement. Some of the aircraft were donated to aviation museums, while others were sold to Draken International, a private military contractor in the United States.

Armaments:

Spoiler

The Kahu has 5 hardpoints, 2 under each wing and 1 under the fuselage and can carry up to 8500lb total. It can use the following weapons (not everything will be listed, as I cannot identify everything in the pictures that will be shown below)

2 Colt Mk.12 20mm cannons

Maverick B/G

Aim-9G/L Sidewinder

Paveway II

CRV7

2.75-inch 69.85-mm rocket pods

Mk.80 series bombs

Mk.82 500lb bombs

Mk.83 1000lb bombs

And much more equipment that i sadly cannot identify

(Image I found on Discord. I cannot find the source, possibly from a book?)

Specifications:

Spoiler

The A-4K has the following dimensions and performance characteristics. The aircraft’s length is 12.57 meters, with a wingspan of 8.36 meters and a wing area of 24.06 square meters. It stands at a height of 4.53 meters. The empty weight of the aircraft is 4,740 kilograms, while its maximum weight is 11,113 kilograms. The maximum ordnance load it can carry is 5,656 kilograms, and it has an internal fuel capacity of 2,431 kilograms. In terms of performance, the A-4K Skyhawk can reach a maximum speed of 1,086 kilometers per hour. It has a service ceiling of 12,863 meters and a normal range of 1,867 kilometers, which is achieved with its Pratt & Whitney J52-P-8A with 9,300 lbf of thrust.

Sources:

Spoiler

AIRFIGHTERS.COM - Douglas A-4K Skyhawk

Project Kahu - Kahu - the A-4K Skyhawk Story

Project Kahu - Wikipedia

Maritime Scheme - Kahu - the A-4K Skyhawk Story

https://redkiwi.weebly.com

NZ 6254 - Kahu - the A-4K Skyhawk Story

Kahu Radar - Kahu - the A-4K Skyhawk Story

A4K's A-4K Thread | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums

https://mx.pinterest.com/pin/586875395167089454/

RNZAF 2 Squadron | The Skyhawk Association

New Zealand Weapons Layout

Skyhawk Ordnance | The Skyhawk Association

https://www.combataircraft.com/en/Military-Aircraft/Boeing/A-4-Skyhawk/

Thanks a lot for reading! If you can find any extra information about the vehicle, then feel free to put it in the replies! Have a great day!

9 Likes

+1, The More The Merrier!

1 Like

+1 Either goes to the UK or US, always happy to see the Kiwi’s coming along

2 Likes

Can you send the unidentified equipment here?

2 Likes

They’re already in the armaments area, like those tiny bomb thingies :)

1 Like

Those are just inert practice bombs

2 Likes

4 Likes

+1 more Skyhawks to the game

2 Likes

That’s very true, yes i’d like to see how Gaijin will handle these new vehicles of any kind.

1 Like

Looks goofy, I like it

1 Like

Looks like a nice addition/idea and it would fit the Brits prefectly.

1 Like

Armament is basically the exact same as every other Skyhawk. Addition of 4 AIM-9L’s on the wing pylons and 2 Maverick’s on the inner wing pylons. None on the Centre fuselage like the A-4M/N. Fairly certain it had some sort of AShM (Why else would it have a radar that can search and track boats?) Also the Paveway II can only be buddy lased in so it would be useless as of current posting.

1 Like

+1 Yes!!! More of this!!

1 Like

This isn’t quite true. The AGM-65s on this plane mount on the wing pylons, as opposed to a centerline Lau-88 like on the Ayit. Also, I’m pretty sure this plane has 3 options for AGM-65s. AGM-65Bs are seen on early photos, and AGM-65G is also listed. But the photos seem to show AGM-65D as well, and it seems like New Zealand might have been tinkering with AGM-65D in inventory anyway.

5 Likes

Also, would love to see this in game, subsonic AGM lobbers are dope!

1 Like

Sorry but can you read?

1 Like

Need I even say +1?
Instant hell yes, give it to the brits so I can finally play that tree lol

1 Like

Looks like fun! +1

1 Like

More A-4s!!! Can’t ever have enough :P
(I wonder if it could possible use the triple rack to carry 5 AGM-65Bs, or possibly 3Bs, and 2Gs…)

2 Likes

Yea I’ve also been looking at triple rack mavericks, but cannot find anything sadly.