Why is the Tow-2B so sad?

I’ve been reading a few research papers about the interaction of EFPs with ERA. Unsurprisingly most concluded even heavy ERA has little effect on tantalum EFPs when mounted at a low angle (0-25 degrees). Only when the angle is 45 degrees or higher does ERA significantly degrade the EFP with tantalum EFPs (same as Tow2B) being affected the least.

So realistically Tow2Bs should be punching through any roof ERA and roof armor.

2 Likes

Yep. In fact the effectiveness of ERA even against apfsds (or any kinetic penetrator for that matter) is dependent on the angle of heavy ERA to the penetrator. I believe the higher the angle the more effective the ERA is. It’s why instead of kontakt-5 being mounted flat to the turret face, it’s instead made to form wedges.

Edit: Also fun fact, heavy ERA effectiveness against kinetic penetrators is measured in percentage of a penetrators total effective pen (meaning it changes based on the kinetic penetrator) not raw RHA or Steel equivalent.

2 Likes

Exactly it’s the same principle. I was curious to look into it as I’ve seen a lot of Russian and Chinese armor enthusiasts claim roof ERA can counter most any top attack missiles ( not too many on this forum specifically).

I had a feeling it was the same story with EFPs but since they’re technically different than sabot and HEAT shaped charges I wanted to make sure.