The AV8B Plus is the a10 situation but worse for both ends

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

I thought the AV8B Plus was great at 11.7 when it had 4x AIM-9M.

Flight performance wise it can’t outrun anything, but handles well overall. I regularly out-turn most things that isn’t a dorito wing or a F-16.

Secondly, the acceleration keeps you alive as you will rarely find a situation where turning drains all your energy.

Ummm… am I taking crazy pills? I love the GAU-12, and generally prefer it over M61 Vulcan. The only downside is the ammunition capacity IMO.

I can’t say anything about the aircraft since the major update though. I just know it was very good prior.

2 Likes

for me the damage goes and comes randomly. Last week I had a month where I would get like 4 kill assists and 3 kills left burning on f-5s and now I simply click them back to the hangar. In just 20 matches on f-5c I’ve killed 100 people, but been teamkilled ultra frequently (happens when you’re playing suicidal and everyone wants to get the kill YOU are getting), i’ve been teamkilled over 120 times on the F-5 Skoshi tiger, 7 times in these 20 matches, which is almost half. Part greed part envy, idk. I still suffered a lot because it’s essentially the J6K1 of supersonics. Yes it climbs well, it turns well, it retains well, but get below certain speeds and you’re mig fodder much like j6k gets out turned by yaks and i225’s below 360kmh.

As for handling, it’s rudder is nonexistent and kills your speed as much as turning. It’s like flying an F8F Bearcat but you’re not the fastest, but the slowest.

Ummm… am I taking crazy pills? I love the GAU-12, and generally prefer it over M61 Vulcan. The only downside is the ammunition capacity IMO.

gib me dooz crayze pills dawg

imagen
critical hit aka nothing
imagen
hit aka less than nothing

bro is literally intact and got 5 kills at the end. Because yes, the av8b is amazing and i’m dogshit as a player.

Bad gun, bad FM, bad WEP, bad missiles, bad everything. People have to stop already saying that “it’s an attacker don’t expect it to be any good” because first of all it’s false (you just look at do335 and am-1/ad4, su25 etc which are energy monsters) and the future to come, fa-18 hornet is also an attack aircraft and it’s the best dogfighter currently that the west ever had.

No it’s not, it’s a massive upgrade. Harrier II turns better than the Harrier I

I’m winning dogfights Vs su27s in the Sea Harrier FA2. In the AV-8B+ it would be laughable easy to do. Past experience in the harrier Gr7 is that you can win a lot of fights

10 Likes

and does everything else much worse. Like hovering, nosing around and retaining energy.

I’m winning dogfights Vs su27s in the Sea Harrier FA2. In the AV-8B+ it would be laughable easy to do. Past experience in the harrier Gr7 is that you can win a lot of fights

so did I against block 10s and all, but doesn’t matter. It’s rudder is bad and its cannon is lackluster.

Hovers better as well, has a lot more thrust and better engine temp management, bleeds speed the same but has more thrust for faster acceleration

1 Like

It does not hover better.

Yes it does. It’s a lot easier to VTOL, just dont be above about 10-15 mins of fuel. Like all harriers. You can land with vertically with a load of fuel

(Irl you needed to be below 2800lb of fuel minus stores)

1 Like

you missed him really badly, like laughably bad

Morvran you’re known for posting a lot of subjective opinions and denying proof. The AV8C can indeed control the yaw during VTOL, thing that the AV8B cannot. Once someone rolls away off your guns, you’re dead and won’t get the kill. ADEN also hits harder than the 25mm, especially after the brutal nerf they got in drag and damage short after adition.

tell me how exactly is it supposed to do that?

yeah, because the av8b has no rudder. I could not aim further on the center, because the av8b has no rudder. If av8b had rudder I would be able to nose around onto players literally flying straight like this j8 was. But the av8b has no rudder so I had to shoot or lose the chance.

in that case preserve ammunition and wait for a better chance

turn in a diffrent circle or the better option, don’t even try to turnfight a J8F in the first place

I have a lot of experience in the harriers. They are my main aircraft. I can’t comment on the gun, other than try different belts. But handling you are wrong. Harrier II handles better than any harrier 1 except maybe the FA2 which has an equally good engine, though does still turn worse.

Rudder authority, especially at lower speeds is a key strength of the harrier airframe (so much so that im planning on buying some rudder pedals at some point to make better use of it)

1 Like

in that case preserve ammunition and wait for a better chance

and die either way you mean? You have to play the av8 as suicidal as possible because you will have only one chance per engagement, and it will be a one way trip.

turn in a diffrent circle or the better option, don’t even try to turnfight a J8F in the first place

you’re asking me to give myself to the enemy. Besides, you saw I could turn inside the j8f. If the av8b/gr7 can out dogfight the j7e and the draken why wouldn’t it out dogfight something that even the Jaguar GR1 can deal with?

it’s not rudder authority but the valves on the engines controlling it’s direction. Try diving down with engines off and use rudder around 200-500 ias and see.

Then dont turn your engine off then.

iirc. Its the flow of the engine exhaust over the tail that gives the harrier its low speed authority. If you are flying with your engine off, of course you arent going to get as good rudder control.

Also I do not believe the puffer jets on the tail activate unless the nozzles are at the hover stop.

Then dont turn your engine off then.

You’re dense as a brick wall. I’m trying to point out that harrier having good rudder authority at slow speed is because the engine nozzles are valving in and out to help it maneuver around. If you turn your engine off you won’t have any valve control and the rudder will be dogwater.

Also I do not believe the puffer jets on the tail activate unless the nozzles are at the hover stop.

They’re the main source of thrust of the harrier and comes from the exhaust turbine. The ones on the front activate only when Viffing, and it’s propelled by the fan.

What?

as far as I am aware, the main nozzles do not have any kind of valving. Nor do the puffer jets (the small sticky out bit on the tail with small nozzles that provide RCS) function unless you are in the hover.

ALL of the rudder control comes from the tail plane. But (and I am assuming this is in someway modeled in game) with engine on and nozzles back. The exhaust from the engines goes over the tail giving you control authority.

iirc, BAE had no idea why the harrier could maintain full nose authority at low speeds, even below when it should be stalling, but the exhaust passing over the control surfaces was a leading theory that was believed by most. Including expert pilots like Commander Sharkey Ward.

@Gunjob can probably comment on both the IRL and in-game side of things in far far more detail. But i’ve never had any issues with the rudder in any of the harriers,

1 Like

imagen
By puffers you mean these holes? If true then my bad, i thought you meant the secondary nozzles.

For the rest, you are right as irl comes, but this is wart hunder.