The AIM-9 Sidewinder - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

isn’t the r74 IIR? I thought that was one of the big part of the upgrade. Or is that not until R74M/M2

R-74M2 received the IIR seeker iirc.

1 Like

No the russian never used IIR for their fox 2 even the most recent R-74M2.
It uses a multi-element dual band seeker by the name of Karfagen-760.

The main upgrade of the R-74M2 over the previous R-74M is the LOAL, DATALINK, better range(up to 50km) and a 90° gimbal after launch.

2 Likes

Bug report for AIM-9M IRCCM underperforming: Community Bug Reporting System

10 Likes

Russian mains ain’t gonna like that

They’re already complaining about the R-73 (which is performing accurately atm to the best of our knowledge)… and honestly Flames’ report isn’t really a bug anyway. It’s a very small alteration.

4 Likes

Given the missile’s rather large fov this might be a great change. Could perform a bit like gatewidth in practice

The R-73 is supposed to have logic gate that help on IRCCM but i don’t know how you could implement it.
Tbh i don’t really know how it works.
For source you should ask BBCRF or Fantom2451

The rangeBands work well enough for this, having 11:10 ratio in favor of fuselage vs flare helps put it on target more often so long as he is not very hot (100%+ throttle, rear aspect and close range…)

Overall, the R-73 seems pretty accurate. I’ve yet to see information to suggest otherwise.

1 Like

@k_stepanovich Do you still feel the IRCCM of the R-73 is superior to the AIM-9M?

1 Like

Do we have anything about the AIM-9L/I or the 9L/I-1? Is there any improvement over preceding models. I know about the IRCCM of the L/I but what does the L/I-1 have?

Also remember that these missiles are specified as 25km+ maximum range, their actual maximum and effective ranges are largely unknown.
Also given that they use imaging seekers with data link they would be able to lock and track targets significantly beyond their kinematic range.

the seeker was not changed on the aim-9m-4, most likely this is a project for a future missile or a modernization of the aim-9m+, but this is not certain.

It’s a report about introducing the AIM-9M into UK service, so it is a production model. Going off the date it can’t be anything newer than the AIM-9M-4.

I found this description on an old website.
In general, the seeker was changed there 4 times, there are even patents. on the missile seeker.
Although the training course is correctly written that there are different seekers.

The missile was created in the framework of the modernization program missile version of the “Lima” (AIM-9L Product Improvement Program (PIP)). The successor version of the AIM-9L is in contrast characterized by an improved version of the engine Mk.36 reduced-smoke propellant, a new guidance section WGU-4/B, increased resistance to infrared interference and higher reliability. Missile tests were carried out in fiscal years 1978/1979. The production was company Raytheon started in the year 1982. Initial operating capability was achieved in the following year. “Mike” was produced in several subvariantách:
AIM-9M-1 - the version used by the navy and air force, the guidance section WGU-4A/B.
AIM-9M-2 - ?
AIM-9M-3 - version of the navy with guidance sections WGU-4A/B.
AIM-9M-4 - version of the navy with guidance sections WGU-4C/B.
AIM-9M-5 - the designation of the u.s. air force for AIM-9M-4.
AIM-9M-6 - a variant of the navy with specific modifications to take account of use in the Persian gulf, the guidance section WGU-4D/B.
AIM-9M-7 - the designation of the u.s. air force for AIM-9M-6.
AIM-9M-8 - version of the navy with increased resistance to infrared interference, the engine of the Mk.36 Mod.11 and the guidance section WGU-4E/B. Development testing lasted a year and were conducted from the third quarter of fiscal year 1991 at the Naval Air Warfare Center in China Lake. Troop tests were conducted in may 1993. In may 1995 initiated the introduction into the armament of the navy. The standard M-8 were adjusted to the older M-1 and M-3.
AIM-9M-9 - designation of the u.s. air force for AIM-9M-8.
AIM-9M-10 - AIM-9M-8 adapted for use on airplanes [F/A-18E/F Super Hornet], the wings of the rocket made of a material with increased resistance to delamination, the front bracket of the rockets has increased resistance to wear.
https://www.parttarget.com//www.parttarget.com/www.parttarget.com/naval-air-systems-command_nsn-parts_639as6160-17_642as0117-14.html/-7F90AD9E-DE19-4F84-9CF4-01453E3DE28E?pagename=Naval-Air-Systems-Command_nsn-parts_639AS6160-17_642AS0117-14&e=3HoknO7kRrA

Уou can find out what missile seeker is there.

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA486826
Page 10-11 mentions the AIM-9E’s gimbal limit to be 40 degrees, not surprising considering how similar it is to the Juliet model. Can anyone tell me if this is a primary source though? Lol

1 Like

that is a primary source

1 Like

Then I’m filing a report tomorrow

Is that gimbal before or after launch though.