The AIM-54 Phoenix missile - Technology, History and Performance

Anyone know what the heck is this 🤣🤣

Bro use Desmos or something similar for graphing. You dont need to draw it on paper.

You can check his previous messages, those were understandable. This is definitely not translation issue. The snail probably did something to this guy.

1 Like

i vote to get rid of the insane drag the missile has. It cant even hit the speeds it was supposed to and as soon as the motor runs out, it slows down as if it had a paracute deployed…

7 Likes

iirc it slowed down less than other new missiles added recently

@MythicPi

Was looking though the catalog for *Hughes Missile Systems Co* Patents, for Stinger related patents (and cross referencing Patent number quoted in the Seeker’s patent) and happened across this one, I think it might be for the Standard Missile, but it provides an overview of how the Directed warhead as used by the AIM-54C & AIM-120 may work.

2 Likes

Cool finding, but im not sure its related to the AIM-54C’s directional warhead. There were quite a few types of early directional warheads from the sounds of it, The AIM-54C’s likely uses something similar to what’s described below. Its likely using initiator charges to impart some direction to the blast, as seen below:

1 Like

download

3 Likes

I cant speak for the new missiles but if thats the case then I really wont bother grinding them…

Yeah, I haven’t tried the update yet but from what I’ve seen the aim-54 will still have a role as long range arh missile. The aim-120A especially seems to have a rather short range.

It’s something I guess?

This missile seems to have too much drag and overestimate the target path as of now. I need to play a bit more with them to see how they perform now. But it definitely feels much better already

The numbers that i put and values are exactaly to improve the drag, just see my last e-mails

You didn’t explain any of those and they look horrible because it’s written on paper. Do you know how to put the graphs into a computerized format?

1 Like

Uploading: 20240620_150714_mfnr.jpg…
Processing: 20240620_150647_mfnr.jpg…
I dont know to computarize the graphs , but i saw a problem on the icons it isnt right

This missile is too slow and it doesn’t turn very well. Terrible at Jousting. I need a better lance.

Yeah the AIM-54 is definitly underperforming. Testing from from dark_claw of all the ARH’s has the AIM-54C getting outperformed at long range by the AIM-120C5…:

5 Likes

AIM-54A was produced since’ 1963 and is being beaten by a ~2005 missile. I’m not seeing the issue.

The former was produced when third generation fighters were still becoming prominent in major world powers and the latter after the introduction of 5th generation fighters.

1 Like

So AIM-54s have much higher drag than they’re supposed to? And also go slower?

1 Like

Color me not surprised that a missile with a 100km absolute maximum range is somehow outperforming one that should be hitting targets out to 180 km maximum.

It has vastly too much drag and has always had vastly too much drag.

I would love the C’s seeker to also be more capable than the A’s but here we are.

Hopefully at some point these missiles will actually become more than a AFK check. As it still stands right now there is little to no reason to take them over the AIM-7s.

6 Likes

That’s not the case, the 100km quoted figure is for conditions less than what would yield maximum.

The AIM-54 has 160s guidance time iirc, and even the standard AIM-120A was claimed to be able to hit a target under certain conditions when launched from 250km provided battery life was not a limitation.

We know the near maximum launch range conditions for the AIM-54, not for the AIM-120C.