The AIM-54 Phoenix missile - Technology, History and Performance

I’m curious if they can just do a workaround of this by just increasing the explosive mass and calling it a day.

I’m pretty sure they could do that for the 7M’s, for the 54C they could increase the fragment count created afaik.

An important part of these directional warheads is the use of “smart” fuses, which not only sense something is nearby, but also what direction they’re in, which is also one of the ways they improved low altitude performance iirc.

If i remember correctly, the AIM-54C’s fuse actually works off the main radars rate of angular velocity. When it see’s its about to lose the target track due to its angular position and velocity, it detonates the missile for the fragments to intercept said target. I’d have to find the source for that again though.

With the new replay feature, I hope we can see the Aim 54s getting better hopefully. Still praying for the reduced smoke motor.

I got into a custom battle but they seem to be bugged at the moment and missiles just spawn in when launched and dont visually move.

Yeah theres literally no reason for it not to have its reduced smoke motor. We’ve already proven it has it with multiple sources, its already been passed to the devs (for over a year).

Well they better un-nerf the Phoenix once the aim-120/R-77 are live.

Press F to doubt

@MythicPi what sort of launch parameters are you using in an average match? (Normal map not these small bs maps like alt history spain) I go for 20nm, over mach 1 at ~30k ft. I havent found any other way to make the phoenixes somewhat leathal…

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/3PVCklHIPRGW
AWG-9 should provide intercept data for up to 6 targets

1 Like

Aim-54 is not lethal, unless target is AFK or unable to pull 8+ Gees (like flying at 30k ft and below mach 1 with Tornado). One can dodge it very easily with a hard pull unless they aren’t paying attention.
Before they fix the missile, try identify target that appears to be AFKing F-4S players.

2 Likes

the dev server version is really good

1 Like

When the missile is comming from above, there is no warning. RWR has huge blindspots which I exploit in order to get kills… Having said that, yes its fairly easy to dodge a phoenix and really easy to just notch it.

Very rarely comes from high enough to exploit the RWR blindspot ingame, seeing as the blindspot is at an angle above 45°…

So manual loft of around 20 degrees does the trick. Before I fire from relatively close range and high up it comes down over 45. Around 60 usually. (im firing to the low flying players)

If the Pheonix lofted more aggressively like the new fox3’s I feel like that would help a lot.

3 Likes

Yeah, the difference between the 54C and the 120A is pretty wild just in loft:

All the new ARH’s also have VASTLY better seekers than the 54C, since the 54C is still using the copy paste 1966 54A seeker inatead of its 1986 seeker from the time when the AIM-120A was already in testing…

5 Likes

I noticed aim-120s and other new ARHs also have a habit of lofting and just going to space and never coming back down in longer ranged shots, maybe they’re trying to test higher A2A missile lofting to finally fix A2A missile guidance logic for lofting. On the upside, the AIM-54s in the dev got their maneuverability buff, while not a G limit buff the AoA increase should help them while theyre still accelerating or after burn out (used to be close to the AIM-9B AoA before)

The weirdest thing about the lofting is actually that theyre STILL using their current oversimplified trash lofting code where there is no conditional statements or variance in the loft.

For example, this is the Derpy’s guidance code:

As can be seen, the loft feature only uses 5 lines of code:

• Loft on or off
  • The preset loft angle
  • The seeker deviation from centerline
  • not too sure
  • not too sure

Just below the loft code in that picture, you can see the conditional time to gain feature for maneuvrability of the missile, which is something gaijin came up with back when the AIM-7F was added to allow it to self optimize based on target range.

It seems really odd that they use a seemingly largely preset loft, but use a conditional self adjusting guidance for maneuvrability…

Furthermore, I’m wondering if these 2 sets of codes might be interfearing with eachother, particularly at long range, leading to the “going to space and never coming back down” for long ranges shots, as the time to target would be high, which may not allow the missile enough maneuvrability to actually follow the guidance commands needed to track the aircraft.

3 Likes

yeah and I think thats part of the reason the new missiles just go to space and never come down, if I had to guess I think its due to the long range restrictive ETA to target code since the 530D had a similar issue if you manually lofted it

1 Like

The issue seems to be that the missile ends up commanding a very sharp turn at the peak of the loft due to the fixed loft/descent angles. It’s slow and in thin atmosphere so it ends up oscillating because Gaijin’s PID controllers don’t tend to handle large variations in velocity/dynamic pressure too well.