The AIM-54 Phoenix missile - Technology, History and Performance

the RDY, APG-66, APG-68, APG-76, APG-65 have smaller notch widths of 20m/s assuming youre going with the doppler speed width value in the code, all of them also have the same 40m/s main beam notch width APG-68/65/RDY are still overall better than the N010M

well,I have a question. What is AIM-54 seeker is using Illumination signal when it enter the active?I mean active radar activation. It HPRF either or CW?Then, I heard that missiles guided by HPRF have accuracy issues. If AIM54 uses PD HPRF, how did they solve it?

AIM-54A relies on a high PRF track and a large warhead. Smaller missiles that require more precision such as the AIM-120 have both high and medium PRF homing methods. It is said the AIM-54C has better beam-aspect acquisition than the AIM-54A and might have a medium PRF mode as well, they did see it as a flaw that it didn’t have it.

HPRF has accuracy issues at distances iirc, the active radar on a missile is much closer to target and has much better accuracy than guiding a semi-active missile from further distances via HPRF.

Probably the same way the Sparrow did, with velocity & range filters by roughly knowing where the target is (which the data link updates and provides a reference signal for the starting point for the gate(s)) and its speed they should be easy to pick out of ground clutter or otherwise be one of the few things that show up, other than that i would assume conical-scan / monopuse seekers would also help reduce clutter.

With F-14 there is a way to defeat mig-29 and r-27er, but you must need some kind of luck.
see this video

The way to defeat them is: crank falling your plane at the maximum angle possible, you can see the enemy missile on tws, if you see it closing, go way for the other side while the mig-29 is pointing at you while the missile is coming.

the f14A RWR will be nerfed but don’t miss you have a good TWS, just crank and make the missile go pitbull

about a new rwr changes, what distance the aim-54 will apear in rwr?

I think it should appear from the start?

my doubt is if you fire an aim-54 from the tws at 50 km, for example, it’s not a hard lock, it will appear from 16km of distance on rwr? the distance of the missile radar signal?

the launch should be detected

There is no way to detect the launch, unlike SAMs that use SACLOS, where beam is projected towards the target, with the missile staying in the beam, and the beam being detectable, with the Phoenix, ARMAAM, R77 and ect, there is no change in the emission patter of the launching aircraft’s radar. When a phoenix is launched in TWS mode there is nothing to indicate to the target that the missile is actually in the air as any communication with the missile is done through datalink. The target will only get a notification once the phoenix turns on its on-board radar

there is a change , how can on F-14 guild 6 missiles at the same time ? with different channels.
for missiles that use radio command also advanced RWRs will detect the command pulses such as Pansir and Roland and Tanguska , only ADATS can not be detected without MAW and that is because it is laser guided

I am 99.99% sure you’re wrong there chief. Datalink communication is not detectable by RWR. That’s like saying RWR detects VHF radio, the energy something like an AWG-9 outputs (10 kW according to google) is several orders of magnitude higher than the rather pedestrian by comparison 5-50W a radio set puts out

It depends quite how advanced your RWR is. The Tornado RWR was very advanced for the time and could detect datalink signals (along with all sorts of other stuff). Here’s an excerpt from the (many pages long) list of emitters it can identify:

1 Like

Does anyone know what radar band the AIM-54 is supposed to operate in? I’ve heard that the 54 would fall within the J band, but is modelled as I band ingame.

It falling within J band would explain why Iraqui MiG-23’s couldnt detect them during the Iran-Iraq war, so I think theres some merit to that suggestion, but I’ve been unable to find any source with definitive proof of its radar band/frequency.

Sidenote: @DSplayer your post isnt tagged to aircraft, so it gsts filtered out if I check the aircraft tags, which makes it harder to find, which is unfortunate considering the quality of the post. Mind fixing that if possible? 😅

Found some new info also! There was a 5th AIM-54 variant I dont think I’ve ever heard anyone talk about which was tested, but appears to have been cut due to budget reasons. AIM-54D with a 104+ nmi active seeker range!

Screenshot_20230914_182701_Chrome

That sounds impossible. As in the math says it cant happen. 100 nmi is almost outside the range of the F-14s 10kW radar, there is no way something small enough to put on a missile will have that sort of range

Thats actually pretty neat, I’d love to know what sort of range it would be effective at. I still stand by my point about total power output so I reckon its going to be very short range

The document quoted was wrong about a LOT of AIM-54 information so it’s not a good source.

1. I didnt write the report, I’m just stating what it says
  2. TWTA’s literal job is to take a weak signal and amplify it massively.
  3. 100nmi is not almost outside the F-14’s radar range. AWG-9 can detect fighter sized targets out to 115nmi, and bomber sized targets out to 150nmi. The APG-71 (digital upgrade to the AWG-9 which, afaik, didnt increase power output) has a range just short of 400nmi but is antennae limited to just under 200nmi unless 2 F-14D’s are used with datalink (presumably vs bomber sized targets).