The AIM-54 Phoenix missile - Technology, History and Performance

AWG-9 and APG-71 share components. APG-71 is basically the unholy offspring of the F-15E’s APG-70 (an absolutely tremendous radar by all accounts) and the AWG-9.

Afaik, the APG-71 is basically a more long range and air to air focused version of the APG-70. the 70 and 71 share something like more than 75% of major components.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t consider the Pheonix a faultless missile. It’s my perception that some accuracy issues are due to some not correcting the guidance midflight. I can only share my observation on what has been effective to increase the chances of a kill. This by no means is trying to undermine the issues it currently has.

Yeah, there are def ways to improve pK% with it, granted as I mentioned, this major update has basically killed it. I went from a roughly 50-75% hitrate with the missile all the way down to probs a sub 10% hit rate, and im not the only player that has mentioned this observation. I suspect, as previously mentioned) that its largely due to the fusing issue affecting the AIM-54 more than any other missiles in-game.

This clip is from a year ago

Without the ability to pre-designate targets for each missile as you would in real life, in War Thunder you can only update the datalink track for the last missile fired. So in that video if I had ‘soft-locked’ another target to ‘update the guidance’ it would just confuse the second/last missile fired to which target it is meant to be tracking.

That has not been my experience, I have been able to independently guide Pheonixes to the intended targets and can verify what they are doing based on their smoke trails. I can make a video to back up my claims if required, but I have obeserved that the missile will stay on its selected target when fired in salvos as long as the target is highlighted “soft-locked” again at some point. I will double check as well to make sure when I return home.

At least in DCS, the VDI on the F-14 shows you which targets have been selected in TWS by having them flash. So whever gaijin decides to rework TWS functionality i hope they add some sort of way to know if that target is selected in TWS and can be fired upon.

You have remember that the Phoenixes can self guide themself with inertial navigation, so as long as the target doesn’t change course too much when it gets within 10-15 miles it will start tracking itself via the onboard radar. If you have video evidence of the contrary I would like to see it.

https://youtu.be/wsSpRzSA4fM?si=JYidMCSoc_NfJJTu this is for refrence. From what ive seen the general functions of the AWG-9 in DCS are pretty accurate.

Yeah theres a definite difference between guidance from ING and guidance from actual TWS(the data about the targets spped/location)

I know about their INS and terminal guidance but I thought we were talking about datalink and their mid-flight updates to INS. Specifically I haven’t experienced this problem:

This is what I haven’t experienced issues with, I have been able to use DL on all missiles fired.

I was only able to test against one player target in such short notice, but two missiles fired against the same target, and then reacquiring the soft-lock after the target diverted course caused both missiles to update their datalink tracking. Will try more targets later and report findings also.

Speaking of TWS, anyone know why in WT, a radar in TWS gets velocity information only after a second pass on a target (on a first pass you get a circle, on a second pass you get a circle with the velocity vector)? Is this realistic?

Also, why is it that sometimes looking at a furball some targets will suddenly show up with some while velocity readings? Like, you see it fly at you with a mildly sized vector, then suddenly (for one scan period) the velocity suddenly jumps to like double or triple in value and points in a completely random direction.

Lastly, why does the pipper sometimes jump on a different target than selected? At first, I thought that it might be when you have two targets that are close to each other in distance/velocity/angle, but I noticed it happened in cases where the selected target was flying directly at me with a different target (that the pipper jumps to) at a completely different location.

Speaking of TWS, anyone know why in WT, a radar in TWS gets velocity information only after a second pass on a target (on a first pass you get a circle, on a second pass you get a circle with the velocity vector)? Is this realistic?

This is normal, it needs see the ‘difference’ in two locations to calculate the speed and direction.

Also, why is it that sometimes looking at a furball some targets will suddenly show up with some while velocity readings? Like, you see it fly at you with a mildly sized vector, then suddenly (for one scan period) the velocity suddenly jumps to like double or triple in value and points in a completely random direction.

That may be missiles being fired and caught by the radar.

Is it how it actually gets the velocity information though? I thought it just took some more time on target to process the Doppler return and other stuff. Though maybe it is not enough for the direction.

I think so too, but it does not explain the wildly different vector direction and size (I have seem some quite a bit bigger than a terminal phoenix)

This has been an annoying issue for awhile and it gets increasingly worse if you increase the amount of scan sweeps. I can only assume that the game jumps to a new target if it is found on a different sweep than the one you selected. I can usually reduce the amount of times it does this by using the 4° scan instead of 6°, but the issue still pops up often.

TWS is very buggy, but could be a missile launch, seeing as gaijin for whatever reason decided to allow you to spot atleast the AIM-54 on radar at extreme range (I stg they modelled its RCS to be the size of a plane ffs). Dont think any other missile can be seen on radar, but could be wrong

Thats just an infuriating bug gaijin hasnt fixed.

Problem is, itll jump to targets that ARENT in your radar sweep as well. Its extremely noticeable with TWS on the F-14 because the scam height is very narrow, so any change in scan height will make you immediately lose your target, and ive had TWS make literal 30° jumps in elevation to track entirely different targets, which is horrid.

Honestly, they should make it so that for TWS the radar lock on keybind will first designate a target as a target of interest, and a second click will switch to STT. Maybe add a keybind for dropping the lock so that you can switch between targets that are close to each other.

Another radar thing of note, it is still impossible to change the speed at which you move your radar cursor and change radar elevation. Centering any of those is also not an option for some reason.

Has anyone here played the Pantsir S1? There is a bug - when you lock a target with high angular velocity, like a plane flying perpendicular to you at close range, the lock will stay stationary for a few seconds and then snap onto the target. I think this might be because TWS gets the velocity information only on a second pass, and the tracking radar on the S1 is implemented to have TWS locks as makeshift PESA.