Sukhoi Su-9 Fishpot – The First Mach 2 Interceptor from the Sukhoi OKB

+1 Sukhoi sure has a lot of planes

2 Likes

It was also tested with bombs, mate. I gotta add that in.

I think they only used one gun pod, and the other mount still carried the fuel tank. But, nevertheless, It’s a corner Gaijin could cut.

@csla1972 correct me if I am wrong.

4 Likes

seems like a fine 9.3

1 Like

would east germany get one ?

The Su-9 was never exported.

tragic :(

1 Like

One Su-9 was stolen by USA in 1961. But I doubt this would ever come to pass into game.

2 Likes

The section on the right, that was my reference when I wrote that thread on the old forum. Two production Su-9s were tested with 250 kg bombs and UPK-23-250 gunpods. In the end it was likely a combination of the Su-15 entering service in that exact timeframe and the upgrades being superfluous that led them to not officially adopt those additions, because it was mainly tasked with defending their airspace from western continental bombers and the RS-2US missiles were enough for that.

5 Likes

I been wanting the Su-9 and Su-11 for a long time, I would love to see these in game, especially in the tech tree as they were used vehicles. Missile based interceptors could potentially have very powerful performance perhaps for a very favorable BR even? But regardless, I think Su-9 and 11 are one of the best looking jets imo…

3 Likes

Also, we would finally have something other and better than the R-3S for fighters at lower BRs.

2 Likes

Yes, though hopefully not too low. (I think 9.0 range is the most compressed BRs in the game), facing better missiles on a supersonic, gun or no gun, would be so annoying to subsonics with no afterburner, or good missiles, etc. But in general yeah, I imagine it could be a good jet but with limited capacity to get kills though if not given a gun. Like a vulture-like jet that flys supersonic above the fighting, then sweeps down when it sees a jet in a turn or a position/focus that it won’t see the missile/can’t dodge the missile coming? Get a few good kills then has to return to base often.

1 Like

If it will get cannon I think should be on BR 10.0. Without the cannon, probably around 9.7.

1 Like

+1 came here from the Ye-152 suggestion lol
Are you planning on making an Su-11 suggestion as well? I think with the better flight performance but less effective armament it could be foldered at the same BR (that also means people wouldn’t have to research it if they don’t want to)

2 Likes

Understatement. You can keep it. I’d gladly read your work on it.

I explained everything in the Su-11 subsection there. Only 2 heavy missile with nothing else. Pointless. Su-15TM and this Su-9 should take priority. If you want a missile only armed fighter then the MiG-21PF should be your go to. At least it was extremely widespread and historically important.

2 Likes

MiG-21PF only two 10 G missiles. Yak-28P is better option for missile only but still not very good option.

1 Like

Just a pet peeve of mine, but I think that allied/nato reporting names should never be used outside an allied/nato context, and Japanese/Soviet equipment shoupd always be referred to by their domestic names in a neutral context

Edit: cool plane

Completely forgot about the Yak-28P. That thing is a beauty.

1 Like

Not to forget Yak-28-64 prototype.
https://ruslet.webnode.cz/technika/ruska-technika/letecka-technika/a-s-jakovlev/jak-28-64/

1 Like

Would be excellent for nuke mode especially if we get modern bombers
joined-imageonline.co (1)
+1 for Mach 2

1 Like

I found new missile for Su-9. In addition to the RS-2US and R-55, it could also carry the experimental K-88 missile with IR guidance (2 pieces). Development of this missile reached the stage of test firings against unmanned targets by Su-9, with several M-15s being shot down by these missiles. In some performance parameters, it surpassed the R-55.
https://ruslet.webnode.cz/technika/ruska-technika/letecka-vyzbroj/protiletadlove-rs/k-88-k-8m-8-/

obrázok

2 Likes