Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

I blocked Ziggy over a week ago, all IR missiles currently underperform against afterburning targets where afterburner exhaust plume is visible especially from side aspect.

4 Likes

the direction means AOA and the transverse means speed? i cant find any information excpet the plane and the number

R-73 IRCCM is perfectly modelled in a vaccuum, also the 96 countermeasures is the correct amount feel free to count them yourself
(each block has 3)

3 Likes

It may be the IR signature of the Gripen itself.

so it should go for flares when the target is with full afterburner all the time?

No, not the AOA but turn rate

thats more of a problem with all IR missiles at the moment and not unique to just the R-73

i mean, im ngl the aim9ls/aim9ms are working great against my 29 lol but im glad it’s not only the r73 that is having problems rn, maybe gaijin will fix that soon

I am still trying to find out what does “perfectly modelled in vacuum means.”

English Translation: Test flight against flying in circles against AI targets.

It literally means nothing.

1 Like

what I was referring to was the missile has all the correct parameters and any issues related to its seeker performance is more an issue affecting all IR missiles and not unique to the R-73

1 Like

Can you share the flare rejection performance of the seeker vs the one in game?

why in dcs the su27 has 96 flares and 96 chaff then? Do they have a different version of the su27?

its a crossed array detector meaning its detector is set up like a cross thats very narrow and tries to keep the frequency between signals (I believe this is the term in english?) detected equal between eachother, since these detectors are very narrow the FOV would be very small, this is correctly replicated ingame by the .75 degree FOV

1 Like

Su-27 was made for datalink and BVR, while being very good at low speeds.
However, Gripen was also made that way but at the low-weight end of the spectrum while being over 20 years newer in aeronautics design.

I just do not know you can come to the conclusion something is perfectly modelled and then turn around and say broadly it must be affecting ALL missiles.

I guarantee it is not affecting the AAM in this way whatsoever. The missile will smash through a flock of flares to find its target tbh.

The AIM-9L documentation suggests it should not lose track of an afterburning target deploying flares if fired from rear aspect.

The R-73 has more range and a more sensitive seeker than the AIM-9L, as well as a much smaller FoV. It simply should not be decoyed by flares at all against afterburning targets… and to be specific, I recall the testing being done against a Jaguar which isn’t a particularly hot aircraft to begin with.

2 Likes

been a minute since I played the su-27 in DCS but if thats the case DCS is wrong and just made it up FC3 products are lower quality and have a ton of inaccuracies

2 Likes

yes I am aware, pretty much all IR missiles underperform in this aspect

1 Like

Now tell us, how is the current performance of the R73 have anything to do with other missiles.

How did you come to that conclusion from your unrecorded test flying sessions?

ive asked the B numerical value(B值)means the Maximum overload of stable disk plus maximum overload of instantaneous disk plus 0.03*Residual power but not the trun rate