Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Well, here are some that I remember (about the N001, N001VEP, unless otherwise specified):

• HMS ACM is now 20 km (the scale is now 20 km for IRST too). IRL, it should have no limit (I have spent countless hours looking for it, there is no explicit mention of either the presence or absence of it, but there are some other facts in the manuals that indirectly imply the latter).
  • N001(VEP) now is back to having the full range of scan zone positions. ±60° in azimuth and -22° +52° in elevation. The bug report
  • The small IRST scan zone now has proper behaviour when shifting horizontally. It now shifts half the azimuth, 10°, each step, instead of only having 3 positions: center, full left, full right.
  • IRST scan speed is now much slower (this is realistic, refer to the report above). It is 5 seconds per full large (60°×10°) scan, instead of 1 second.
  • IRST scan zone is now stabilized in both pitch and roll. I don’t think this is realistic, but after they removed roll stabilization (MiG-23s had them stabilized), the IRST would often miss targets due to small movements, so I guess they chose to have it stabilized now.
  • IRST sidelobes are even smaller. Don’t think it will change that much (maybe help with above problem of missing targets), just a sharper cut between what falls in the “beam” and what does not.
  • The IRST on the N010M now has +60° -15° elevation and ±60° azimuth with the same scan zone that can be shifted smoothly. Don’t know as much about the N010M, so can’t comment on authenticity of this.

There are, however, two very important things missing:

7 Likes

This badly needs to be fixed. @Smin1080p_WT is there any way we could see this fix this update?

1 Like

And they gave double racks for R-77 to 27SM that are reason for 14 missiles on Su-35 instead of 12 so SM3 would get 14 missiles unless something will kick gaijin

2 Likes

I’m talking about the changes that occurred today/this morning to Russian radars. You might want to give github a look

1 Like

Oh, not much. The N010M IRST scan zone getting bigger, that I included above. And the IRST designation locks (locking spotted target on your IRST display) now takes 1 second instead of 0.3 (for all N019, N010, N001)
That is it

1 Like

I’ve nudged the report.

9 Likes

4 Likes

Recently got the 27SM. I knew the AMRAAM had a lot better range and energy retention, I did not know that the R77 in practice is just an HMD 8km-ish (if your lucky) ET that’s more difficult to decoy. The SM has the same playstyle as the 27S, with the added benefit that the R77 can sometimes save you when used as an area denial weapon.

Lowkey kind of sad, for those in the know, is the cause of the issue rooted in the way the game sims grid fins?

No, they didn’t simulate grid fins at all. Instead they made it bleed energy insanely quickly when maneuvering compared to other missiles.

(I should add that this is unrealistic as the grid fins would not need to deflect as much to create similar torquing moments on the airframe of the missile as conventional fins, while also being able to deflect up to 40 degrees if necessary to point the nose around… it is heavily underperforming in maneuverability).

7 Likes

i think this is the right time to give a friendly reminder that russian top tier aircraft consitently get cucked by gaijin.
anyways, any good news?

You can get a hearty chuckle from the occasional USA main who cries that the R-77 is better than the SPAMRAAM because he saw the big 50G number on the stat card (he has never fired an R-77).

7 Likes

lmao. to be fair though the r77 isnt that bad i think. havent really hit anything with the amraam an r77 wouldnt have hit either

The amraam far outranges the r-77, afaik it’s by far the best bvr missile ingame, didn’t test the fakour tho.

IIRC it (Fakour-90) does out-range and currently being best long range missile, but thats about about it

Any range the AMRAAM can beat the R-77 at - it will not be hitting an aware target. Period.
The R-77 is severely underperforming in this aspect, it should remain much more agile than the AMRAAM at such long ranges and low speeds. pK at maximum range should be much higher.

Additionally, the way War Thunder works, if the R-77 seeker is detecting the target later they should have less time to react or be aware that it is incoming. This should also increase pK at the disadvantage of having to babysit the missile a little longer.

4 Likes

Does anyone here have any kind of drag polar for the R-77? With one i could easily do an in game test and plot the in game polar of the missile

1 Like

The polar is at work. While I’m changing the cooling on the computer

2 Likes

Yeah no it would make for a perfect event vehicle.

I’d rather not lock another mass-produced officially adopted vehicle behind a time-gated grindathon, especially when the TT SM needs the SM3’s improvements so much (it’s both not different enough from the base Su-27 and too weak for a 13.7 jet) and when they’re so easy to implement.

1 Like

Recent Russian MoD video shows a pair of Su-33
Interesting, look like R-27R

1 Like