Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

I know they are some huge issues when it comes to FM and Modeling flight performance.

Those discrepancies feels a bit like an unsolvable issue unless gaijin rework their own game.

I have no idea if they are ways gaijin could improve many of the FM we currently have without the whole community having to Bug Report every single plane that is Heavily overperforming like the F-16 or underperforming like the Su-27 or the SMT.
Hopefully the community will find some ways to fix the Su-27 ;)

4 Likes

Yes, thrust curves are insane, it is however worse when it comes to the SMT which feels 3 tons heavier

1 Like

It depends what you consider “solved”.

I think ideally everyone would want a 1:1 representation of flight performance with the added benefit of Gaijins 1.5x g-limit allowance and none of the real life oddities like deep stalls, compressor stalls, etc.

Barring that I think that most people would be okay with planes having similar instances of over-performance and under-performance and be understanding of the limits of the modeling system they use.

But the problem right now is that there isn’t really any across-the-board consistency. NATO vs NATO dogfights feel relatively balanced because all of the planes over-perform in turns to a similar degree even if they are at different speed ranges. RU vs NATO dogfights end up being incredibly unbalanced because the plane underperforms the real life counterpart in important ways…which makes NATO over-performance in the same regions even more decisive.

This leads to weird situations where the most faithful representation of the F-16 vs MiG-29 match-up was probably with the earlier flight models that were both over-performing by similar margins. Now that whole entire match-up is entirely skewed to the point that top tier 1v1 tournaments are limited to basically F-16ADF and F-15A only…and that is with R-73 being in play.

5 Likes

Top tier tournaments are pretty sad when it comes to diversity indeed.

I still struggle to understand why there would be such discrepancies between NATO aircraft compared to USSR ones.

Especially when you see aircraft like the MiG-23 MLD who over performed for a loooong time until it got fixed.

This is not true, if an aircraft has the right thrust curve, follows his sustained turn rate chart for all speeds at certain altitude and at the different speeds it will pull AoA values beteeen “A” and “B”, then the maneuvering energy retention of the plane at that altitude
with AoA values between A and B will be correct.

1 Like

At low speed yes, at higher speeds (600kph+) the MiG-29As when under 20min fuel are very good in rate.
MiG-29smt instead is just a boat

Btw where is that table from?

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you :D

1 Like

But if they have a developer that the tank on their back gives a huge increase in resistance like from an airbrake

2 Likes

I see that even at a speed of 600 km/h everything is bad.The table shows the number of nodes.At a MiG of 750 km / h IAS at an altitude of 1000 m, they give out 19-20 degrees / s at sea level, it should be 20-22

1 Like

I mean I assume the SMT modification was made trying not to degrade performance that much.

And from all the vids I saw from MAKS, in an air show, the aircraft seemed to be behave like a MiG-29A would, albeit heavier

1 Like

It is with 30min of fuel for all aircraft.

Yes, the fuel tank on the back is not that big 930 liters

3 Likes

Even with full fuel, the MiG-29 is already producing 9G at a speed of 800+.Which, judging by the table, is not observed

1 Like

Would that hampers flight performance and mainly acceleration that much ?

My aerodynamical knowledge isn’t as good to see if it would be that bad

The acceleration was affected.Not much on STR and ITR.If the tank is empty

2 Likes

Then the plane is perfectly fine and so is the Mirage 2000.

It’s not because it is not respective the sustained turn rate chart, that’s why the energy retention is wrong

The sustained rate is within Gaijins tolerances for sustained rate. Your bug report will go nowhere because people have reported the same issue while using the same chart.

Yes but even if they fix the sustained turn at low speed, do not expect the FM to be “fixed” in regards to excess power. (Energy retention).

1 Like