Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

@Necronomica

Spoiler

1 Like

then why did you bring up the rockets angle?

exactly what i’m trying to say, if you want air-brakes, you want them to have high drag at zero angle. which peaks avoids.

this says the exact opposite? that they do use the legs as airbrakes.

" […] look at our landing gear, they’re essentially like giant body flaps, so the drag - when we deploy the landing gear, the drag massively increases, so we have dual use of the landing gear as giant body flaps and as landing gear. That actually cuts the terminal velocity in half and therefore the fuel - the propellant we need to stop the vehicle in half, and actually it’s quite an efficient method of landing precisely."

there is nothing in there about them taking the legs away or stopping using them as airbrakes?

1 Like

Peaks allow better control across a wider range of conditions when the grids themselves are so thick.

The fins are not neutral when the rocket itself is held at 20° …?

That they did, as I said they did. They stopped when they switched to the thicker titanium fins. The launches and landings are all recorded.

Almost everything is wrong here
@k_stepanovich

1 Like

by reducing wave drag. reducing… drag…
they do NOT increase inherit drag.

are you saying they are angled constantly when not used for steering?

there is nothing in that source using past tense. there is nothing in that source indicating a change of legs occurred. you have not provided a source for any potential new legs not being used as air brakes.

I didn’t say that there were new legs, rather they stopped opening them early as drag devices. Watch the landings with titanium fins and without.

Why is the concept that the fins must use some angle of attack when maneuvering the rocket so hard for you? They maintain a relatively high angle of attack for as long as possible to reduce speed before descending over the landing zone.

or 6 inside if su-57 get pylon with 3x 77M planned for su-75 ( only with him su-75 can carry 5 missile… )
or 4 izd.810

Spoiler

1 Like

still no source provided.

i said “when not used for steering”. if they need to steer aggressively the entire flightpath then spacex have bigger issues to deal with.

so, as i asked before, “when not used for steering” if they have a high angle of attack then they are steering. if that angle of attack is used as an airbrake then that braking would be massively inconsistent if steering is needed that aggressively the entire way down.
This makes zero sense to me. its like using a planes elevator to air-brake it makes no sense.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be more similar to how the airbrakes work on the ailerons for the A-10 and some dive bombers?

nah, the air brakes on an A-10 dual split both up and down producing equal drag in both directions.

1 Like

The shuttle did just this, S curves on the way to landing to reduce speed in a shorter area. The falcon 9 uses body lift and drag from the grid fins to assist slowing itself down by maintaining a high angle of attack until it is over the landing site.

you’re not explaining anything here, just restating the same thing.

i do not understand how the grid fins, that produce drag when angled, does not also steer when angled.
or alternatively if they are not steering, how they produce drag when angled towards the direction of travel as they are designed to reduce drag in that possition.

That’s fine, it’s gone far enough off topic anyway. I’ve explained what needed explaining.

Thanks but I can just click the link to Wikipedia, you don’t have to plageurize them for me.

I discovered wikipedia yesterday, have you tried comic sans?

But did you try comic sans?

you… you haven’t at all. so far you have made statements with no explanation as to why or how things would work as you claim.

1 Like

If you need further explanation, DM me. Let’s not clutter the Su-27 topic or entertain Ziggy further.

Reasonable take, but your profile is locked so i can’t.

Forgot about that

Ah, sorry I wasn’t specific. I meant in terms of using a control surface as an airbrake. Though in the case of grid fins it doesn’t equate.

1 Like