Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

J11 is not needed, it uses the same engine

1 Like

Even the gridfins on the Soyuz was simply used as deployable stabilizers. They did not deflect they simply deployed as stabilizers. Not airbrakes.

1 Like

A grid of this shape was used as an aerodynamic brake

1 Like

A summary is fine. As far as I understand, lattice wings are used best for subsonic and supersonic flight envelopes with poor performance at transonic speeds. While I’m not oblivious it would make for a poor airbrake and its purpose is flight control, does Space X’s specific design of the lattice wings contribute to higher than usual drag on reentry compared to a standard design? I notice they are more curved.

Maybe I am oblivious, I would like your insight.

Interesting so Soyuz Space Capule did. I only find literature stating Stabilizer.

The only mention of emergency air brake is a paper written by a guy in Pakistan in a sigle sentence.

261.PDF (icas.org)

The Drag of the grating depends very much on the relative thickness of the grating profile. The number of plans, i.e. cells and shapes. They can be used both to improve handling at high M numbers and for braking. It depends on which grid you install

2 Likes

What does higher than usual drag mean to you?

Look at the mass of the Falcon 9. Of course, they need to be larger than the R-77s…

Larger size equal more drag. The Weight & mass of the Falcon 9 would necessitate & larger control surface (Grid Fin). They are optimal for control surfaces at supersonic & hypersonic speeds.

This all comes down to what is your definition of higher than usual drag?

@BBCRF

2 Likes

Beat me to it, might as well do the Chinese ones.

relative grid pitch

1 Like

The process of stabilizing would happen through the grid fins inducing a very large amount of drag thereby ensuring the aft section of the stack will always point 180 degrees away from the velocity vector. It’s the same principle as seen in ejector seats that deploy a tiny parachute to stabilize the glide until the main parachute deploys

1 Like

Mil 157 kg in 48 sec 3,27 kg/s
AB 363 kg in 30 sec 12,1 kg/s
It seems to be fine

1 Like

Appreciate that explanation. Make sense.

I believe the increase in fuel I noticed during live matches is rooted in the increased defensive flying. However, I do not feel any increase in performance carrying R-77s as opposed to R-27ERs.

“One after the other” means that STT is carried out on two targets in turn to guide the missile into the terminal semi-active radar guidance stage.
It undoubtedly shows the process of the Su-27 using the N001 (N001V) radar, using semi-active radar guided missiles to attack two targets simultaneously through the TWS + datalink remote control method.

1 Like

1 Like

well yes… like any object.

i’m saying that object of the same size/area can have drastically different drag depending on the “front” facing shape.
(and to add to that; the “roughness” of the “sides” and “back” of the object also matters, like a golf ball and a sphere of the same size/area)

Like this:
shaped-600x450

Edit:
that is why the “front” of the grid isn’t flat but rather has “peaks” like these:

2 Likes

fuel lags at high consumption rate at altitude for some reason

1 Like

但你需要不断更新数据直到打中目标,先打中远的,然后才是近的

This is because the modification factory changed the R-77 data on the radar to the R27 data, so you can play R-77, which means you have to play R-77 like R27, only one data link, can not be guided at the same time

The data link serves two missiles in turn, rather than serving two missiles at the same time, which can only be said that the J11A foundation is not good, and if it is J11B, there is no such problem