Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Hormones… just kidding.

1 Like

Perhaps hahah.

Nah for real, bro it’s a pain trying to use it in game. Plus, I cannot use track IR for real HMS gameplay in Air RB.

Additionally, sometimes when you switch to full real controls the HMD does not work at all but stays fixed center screen like regular ACM modes or off in some random position.

You must switch back to regular controls & change the radar mode to fix it. If you prime the missile before entering full real, it seems to mess it up too. I am working on isolating what the issue is exactly & will report it when I do.

So, to your point. I hate to disagree with you, but you’re not seeing the overall difficulties to using supermaneuverable techniques in game. You are only seeing its difficulties & limitations from an IRL perspective.

Once it has been modelled fully as an actual feature in game (if ever). Then the question of it’s usefulness in WT can be argued to the ends of the world. We are barely in the first stages of this capability which begins with the Su-27S.

We will get the Terminator and others. They will come to the game. Mark my word. GJ will have to increase its supermaneuvrability to be far more controllable in-game for these aircraft.

PS. To all the people who swear supermaneuvrability is a useless gimmick & cannot be used offensively. You will eat your own words when the Su-37 & Su-35 comes to the game.

You only remember what’s convenient. I wrote that supermaneuverability is more associated with the Su 35/57…than the Su 27…and that it is not practical to talk about it until 2010 ±…

1 Like

Sorry, I meant to follow up with the quote of those specific people who say its useless.

Su-37 is real aircraft btw. It will come to the game as well.

Early 00s with appearence of Su-30MKI

2 Likes

Yes, I’m forgetting that one, the F-22 is from 2005 ?

2004 entered service.

So yeah pretty much.

1 Like

One prototype, like F-15 Active, F-16 Vista.

Nah I don’t think those will come tbh.

Those are test beds. Not protoype aircraft :)

1 Like
1 Like

Have you followed his buddy Longshot? His videos are pretty sick too. Played once with him a long time ago in the same server.

Will watch this in a second washing the car.

Also keep in mind that everything he said was absolutely correct but he missed the part that where the weight of this Sukhoi is greater than others because it is carrier operated. The thick reinforced tail hook is just one of the weight increasing requirements to make carrier worthy.

The Su-33 it will offer the best experience & full performance of us the land based delta canards. Great aircraft none the less.

Dude is using the aim-9X against him btw.

It’s not about the Su 33, it’s that using the “Cobra” requires good timing and a good gameplan for combat, because losing speed can mean death. This is confirmed and true. Cobra is good for 1 vs1 and as a last ditch maneuver. It’s not an all powerful super destroyer super abuser of space and other galaxies. Plus with planes like the Su 27 (80s-90s) you could have just crashed while trying to supermaneuver

Oh absolutely. I mean I am the only one who outspokenly attempts to use it in air rb when the moment presents itself. Believe me, I know all of the dos and donts regarding it. I have failed more times than I can count. But failure is the best tool for growth & perfecting your craft whatever it may be.

I am sure once @BBCRF gets his flanker he will & offer more better feedback of what needs rework.

Sometimes I lure opponents into a close quarters rate fight. Once the fight reaches 500km and they are unable to utilize alpha or any rapid pitch I usually bell maneuver 95% of the time (to properly cobra in game is no longer possible like it was at games release or dev server) R73 them multiple times. It’s pretty hard to defeat the R73 when you are going this speed. Does not really matter if you flare.

Of course these fun experiences are too few and far between & take quite a bit of timing not just to maneuver, but coordinating the aircraft & your weapon systems to follow suit. It does take skill in war thunder far more than it should.

Maybe when you get the flanker you will give it a try. (Don’t know if you have it.)

Why would Su-37 or Su-35 matter if the ordnance they carry is hardly an upgrade over the current HOBS ordnance? Currently supermaneuverability is useless gimmick it will continue to be such for Russian fighters.

Exactly, the pilot has to not only control the aircraft but operate the weapons systems to target and engage the target, he doesn’t have much time for that. So, right timing, right situation, quick target acquisition (maneuvering) and missile launch.
The cost of executing the maneuver - fixation on one target, loss of SA and speed ( possibly loss of controllability)- can all be potentially fatal.
With more modern aircraft like the Su 30 and above - with improved SA and FBW it is more interesting.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I suspect Britain will get that aircraft. Hopefully the Soviet tree gets an Su-30SM at the same time, but one cannot be sure.

Su-37 Super Flanker is a super-maneuverable thrust vectoring fighter with the factory designation T-10M-11 derived from an Su-35 prototype. The last Su-35 prototype - number 711 - was fitted with Lyulka Saturn AL-31FU engines (31,970 lbf) that incorporate two-dimensional thrust-vectoring (TVC) nozzles. Externally similar to the Su-35 - apart from the nozzles - the Su-37 has a side-stick controller and has demonstrated some amazing manoeuvres, including a complete 360deg Cobra - known as a Kulbit.

The Su-37 for the first time, demonstrated the ability to reach ultra-large angles of attack and at near-zero speeds.
Thanks to the automation of all controls, the fighter could “independently” exit the tailspin.

The AL-37FU engines are configured for thrust vector control, with the axisymmetric steerable thrust vector control nozzle is fixed on a circular turning unit. The steel nozzle in the experimental engines is replaced in production engines by titanium units to reduce the weight of the nozzle. The nozzle only moves in the pitch axis, and the nozzles on the two engines can deflect together or differentially to achieve the desired thrust vector for a particular maneuver.

The Su-37 has the N011M Bars (Phased Array). The Radar is capable of tracking 20 targets & targeting 8 of them. The Su-37 Terminator is an R-77 carrying aircraft in case you need it spelled out for you.

The all-weather digital multi-mode phased array radar operates in either air and ground surveillance modes or in both modes simultaneously. Ground surveillance modes include mapping (with Doppler beam sharpening), search-and-track of moving targets, synthetic aperture radar and terrain avoidance.

The Su-37 also has the N012 self-defense rearward facing radar in the tail stinger area of the fuselage. tail stinger area of the fuselage.

The Su-37 also incorporates state of the art ECM in wing-tip pods, allowing improved survivability in electronic warfare environments.

The Su-37 can carry air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons on 12 stations. The number of missiles and bombs carried can be increased to 14 with the use of multi-payload racks. The military arsenal had become more diverse in comparison with the Su-27. The new aircraft could use not only unguided missiles and free-falling bombs, but also guided air-to-surface missiles, including anti-ship ones.

It also has to be said B. The aircraft was overloaded from these manoeuvres, the same thing happened to the F-15 Activ, the airframe needs to be strengthened more - this leads to an increase in weight, which leads to a reduction in performance and or the need to use more powerful engines etc… everything is a compromise…
Also the plane had more drag for the canards in the front ( combination of elevators, rudders and canards)…

2 Likes

You didn’t answer my question at all

It’s actually does not need to be said. In WT, design flaws are intentionally not modelled, neither are the modelled in engines such compressor stalls & flame outs etc. that plagued certain aircraft in game now (will not name the aircraft the aircraft as to drag off topic).

GJ has officially noted this in previous forum. These flaws will not be modelled in game.

I do like discussing it though, regardless of how irrelevant it is to the game.

Thats why you have 31,970 lbf :)