Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Well, the choice of the word trash was not ideal. “Shocked it is not the impenetrable mobile citadel the assumed it due to Western Pop culture” is more appropriate.

But either way I agree, but I want to keep this about the Su-27 & why high maneuverability is still a requirement.

1 Like

It’s kinda the same that happened with the tiger when ppl that watch history channel documentaries came to wt thinking it was an invincible machine

1 Like

Yeah, I do not know much of what the RuF is doing in regard to advanced training these days. Unfortunately, flight hours has dropped for the average Russian pilot compared to the Soviet.

However, they are getting a lot of flight hours in the last 2 years & gaining a tremendous amount of valuable experience adapting & defending against Western European/American SAMs, MAN PADS, SPAA & the very advanced US Patriot batteries.

@BBCRF should know more about advanced dogfight training programs for the RuF.

Interesting accusation…

Says the “expert” that does not even know what STOL means even though he actually describes it in the very same sentence??? That was classic.

:)

Imagine getting mad at someone who understood what you are saying more than you do yourself? Pretty wild.

It’s actually worse because its written. You had a chance to evaluate the flawed logic of your thoughts before you hit reply. Yet you failed to catch it, nor understand it. It is quite a telling piece of evidence to the type of thinker I am dealing with.

Still, not Top Gan, but the Aggressor squadron moved from 1521 Center (Mary-1) to 116 TzBP(Privolzhsky)…

1 Like

The first Russian serial Su-30MKI will be correct, in service with the Russian Air Force Su-35S…

1 Like

Your level of autism is getting pretty old at this point

Imagine getting mad because you accused someone of posting blatant BS & was then shown your own incompetent & flawed BS ways of thinking?

Then you resort to calling them Autistic? Yikes

Like I said, this is quite a telling piece of evidence to the type of thinker I am dealing with.

In what year was the aggressor training regiment reactivated ?

In the eighties they flew about 150 hours, ± ( western countries 200±) in the Warsaw Pact, in the nineties they dropped to about 30 hours a year due to financial problems. Not enough for even basic training.

This seems like a completely made up & is an intentional overexaggeration & misrepresentation aimed at downplaying (like it or not) a world superpower in regard to combat aviation.

Not all of western countries have 200+.

F-35B Lightning

• 2019-20: 160 hours
    • 2020-21: 140 hours
    • 2021-22: 210 hours
    • 2022-23: 180 hours

(Edit: disregard, I misread @wasa850)

In 1980s and 1990s…Comparable period…

My mistake.

You have the average Soviet pilot flight hour data?

1 Like

Not based on one source, but pieced together from various sources, publications and interviews with western and eastern pilots.

1 Like

I like the Su 27, but I never figured out why it requires constant trimming ? In contrast to the F-15, from the beginning it was made not to need trim. I mean why wasn’t the Su 27 made without the need for manual trim? The DCS kinda annoys me.

1 Like

I personally do not know, but the aircraft were much cheaper to maintain in the Soviet Union as RuF. I would assume the hours went up drastically. However, if hours were lower in the Soviet Union, it was due to something else rather than cost to maintain. Interesting.

Hmm, the planes were very expensive, and so was the maintenance. It must not be compared to the west but to our own capabilities.
For example, the MiG 29 was so expensive that Czechoslovakia could not afford as many planes as it wanted, plus the operation was also very expensive even compared to the MiG 23. Gradually the price per flight hour would come down but then came the breakup of the Soviet bloc.

Yeah there are lots of websites citing interviews of ppl that worked in the airforce of warsaw pact countries saying that their pilots varied from like 100-150 hours while 200 was the NATO standard, the doctrine was different, let’s also remember that the soviets focused much more on creating SAM platforms than the western countries.

2 Likes

it’s sad to think that Iraqi pilots had to fight super trained us pilots with a mig29 monkey model (without archers and r27t)

Yeah, they are very expensive when compared to our personal outlook. In the perspective of fighter aircraft cost across the board. Soviet aircraft are intentionally designed to for increased durability, longevity & mitigate cost for rapid mass production & continued mass production in time of war.

That is another thing the US feared about the Soviet Union. The ability to mass produced in a time of war & be utilized from anywhere with very low cost to maintain.

Mikoyan’s primary design philosophy was strength in the number of units. It is actually a concept rooted in Communist ideology. Sukhoi took a slightly different approach. That is why the Su-27 is still able to be upgraded.

The OKB designed the Su-27 to have the capacity to continually upgrade & adapt to combat trends of the future wherever they go. That is why the Flanker & the F-15 will be the only fighters left of the 4th generation eventually. No other 4th generation fighter will fly as long as these two. Not the delta canard either of Western Europe. They do not have the capacity for extended upgrades. Its only due to their small size.