Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Or the enemy might pop 1 random flare and flare it even when it’s 1 km away, without even knowing an ET is coming.

Btw even 9B/9J is a free stealth kill from 2 KM if the enemy doesn’t know it. That argument is invalid.

1 Like

Has anyone noticed the engine problem of the Su-27SM in the game?
In fact, according to the official website of MMPP “Salut” and interviews, we all believe that the Su-27SM should be equipped with a more powerful AL-31FM1 (99M1 or АЛ31Ф сер42) engine. But in the game, it is shown as AL-31F and is the same as the regular Su-27. Since the Su-27SM is heavier than the standard Su-27, its flight performance must be reduced.
I tried to submit an issue, but it was rejected due to lack of information. I wonder if anyone in the forum can help me?

1 Like

@MiG_23M @BBCRF any thoughts/Source on this for a report?

If only the documents for the plane.It is said from open sources that the new engine appeared with the SM3 version

Could it be that some SM versions upgraded to M3 models and recieved new engines or used as testbed for new engines?

ZVO_12_INCH and Fantom2451 mentioned before that Su-27SM that came in later batch had the upgraded engine

1 Like

Of course, the factory aircraft tested the engines

Isnt that enough to make a bug report for it? New engines will increase the efficiency alot.

👌

Please report this to developers. I can’t read Russian so I cannot report this.

Why would the SM be heavier? it received digital avionics etc. I would assume it gotten lighter.

However, it seems to perform much better because of no longer having to be strapped down with R-27ERs.

So maybe it is heavier.

It’s not nonsense, the Oswald coefficient is not linear by any means in anything but an elliptical wing.
An example of an aircraft that in game currently has a de facto (talking about what the Oswald coefficient calculated with lifting line theory would to be, the “Oswald coefficient” in the game files has nothing to do with it) linear Oswald coefficient is the gripen which has a clearly wrong flight model

2 Likes

Reinforcement like on Su-27SK might be a thing. But Su-27SM is modifiocation of old Su-27S/P frames.

1 Like

How big this OEPS is. It hope it is much better. It does have a much quicker scan rate.

This is the kind of detail in Soviet/RuF fighters I love from GJ.

The SM series had their elevator vortex generators (by intakes) removed does anyone know why?
Was the Flankers losing too much speed in a rate? So, they ditched the vortex generators for better speed retention since flying in max alpha was not needed outside of a knife fight? Will this be reflected in the model?

I am very certain this would decrease drag & increase the flankers energy retention, especially in turn rate. However it would lower the flankers stall point in angles of attack beyond lift. Btw those specific generators do nothing for the aircraft until it’s in max pitch where the top of the elevators can catch the destabilized airflow behind it. They produce undesired drag in every other flight regime otherwise.

Sukhoi must have decided that after evaluation of modern combat trends of the 21st century that excessive supermaneuverability is not essential over the aircraft’s ability to maintain energy. Therefore they removed the vortex generators.

They could have been planning to equip them with thrust vectoring which would not need the vortex’s generators too. I don’t think the modern flankers with tvc have the elevator vortex generators either.

This is all totally my theory, if anyone has anything on it please share. I love this kind of stuff.

What is the highest AoA of Su 27 at 1g stall ?

Multiplication is inversely proportional to division.And if I multiply by a linear coefficient A(k), then I must divide by a linear coefficient
Before Mach 0.9
the coefficient is static as.Then it is linear
Oswald static=0.751 for Su-27

1 Like

Not too sure.

The first iteration of the Flanker was already at 120° before the point of stall. At stall would be much higher. This analysis of Pugahchev’s demonstration at the 1989 Paris airshows states that there was no tendency for the aircraft to roll or departure at 100-120°indicating the aircraft was not near its stall point.

Proof the Mig-29 is supermaneuverable but GJ is playing games. Making up excuses about flight controls etc. This is why I want the R-27ER removed from it. To force them to do something about the FM.

The literal director of Центра́льный аэрогидродинами́ческий институ́т, ЦАГИ states the Mig-29 is capable. Western sources do too.

But the graph in the picture is not linear

And what is he like?
y=kx+b