Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

is it possible to report missing things in the cockpit as bugs?
largely just instruments not working, something that does annoy me and just about anyone i know in sim
as it stands even the hud is missing a bunch of features, and dont even get me started on the hdd and and the spo-15 which remains non functional in every plane so far.
i can recall the F-15 having a nicely detailed and close to real life display in the trailer so, where did that go?

The SU-27 loses speed faster than the Gripen, having a higher thrust-to-weight ratio and a much more advanced aerodynamic design.
But if someone there said that everything is fine, then I believe it.
Pathetic…

1 Like

gripen is newer and has less drag and is smaller
su27 bleed speed due to thrust vectoring but should have good low speed turning

1 Like

Su-27 we have now has no TVC

1 Like

oh never mind shouldn’t bleed as much then

The Su 27 does not have a thrust vector, what kind of nonsense are you writing?
And how does the date of development of an aircraft affect its performance? The Gripen has a thrust-to-weight ratio of less than 1 in any configuration, and has a delta wing, it loses speed instantly by default.

2 Likes

you go it delta and has thrust to weight less the one so it bad
Its comparable to a F16 and delta doesn’t mean it bleeds speed fast it aint a mig21

This thing has no low speed nose authority in game

The delta wing is effective at supersonic speeds. At low speeds it is worse than a trapezoidal wing

3 Likes

That’s only half the truth. While the wing itself is less “effective” at slower speeds that doesn’t mean that the whole airframe is worse.

It can have a delta wing and still keep more speed than a plane with a classic wing and that’s exactly what the Gripen should be doing.

According to pilots during red flag operations the Gripen and F-16’s that did a turn at 9G had the F-16’s lose more airspeed during that turn at the same forces applied.
The canards of the Gripen allow for better airflow and less induced drag while turning so although it does have a lower TWR and a delta wing, that doesn’t always mean it needs to lose more speed in a turn.

The F-16 will however generate and regain momentum faster because of it’s higher TWR.

Drag of gripen is way smaller than of F16 too for example. It was built with low drag in mind due to lack of engine power so they had to compensate somewhere. Generally the design of the airframe is to reduce drag as much as possible within given desigh of tailess delta.

Exactly. So it’s not really suprising that a small plane with a decent engine and very little drag loses less speed than the Su27 in a turn.

I am sure the Gripen could fully deflect the canards in a pinch, resulting in really high AoA and tremendous speed loss, but that isn’t possible ingame and also not really a great idea anway, just like the cobra maneuever.

The gripen does not have an integral layout, Its airframe contribution to lift is minimal

The fact that he has ducks does not solve the problem much. Yes, it is maneuverable.But it is limited by the critical angle of attack after which it must sharply nod off to dive. Which he doesn’t do in the game

Maybe because it never approaches it? Like… meaning of FBW is to literally remove possibility of getting into situation where your flight performance is compromised.

I am not exactly sure I understand your sentence correctly, since I guess you are using a translation software. It’s not necessarily about the airframe poducing lift, it’s about the canards being always directed to assist the wings in producing lift and reducing the induced drag created in a turn by the canards. The canards are also very big on the Gripen compared to Canards on the Su-33 for example.

They generate more lift and should mean that the nose shouldn’t drop harshly even at near stall speeds.
If you however cross that point, then it should drop it’s nose like any other plane of course. The question is however if the FWB would allow that to happen under any circumstance.

2 Likes

You have the wrong idea about the canard on the gripen and on the Su-33, they have different functions. canards on the grippen replace the elevator. And if the angle of attack approaches a critical one, the lifting force on the ducks drops and the plane noses down
Game no FBW

1 Like

Yeah, I totally forgot about the additional weight…

It did not help at all with dogfighting? That sucks I haven’t read into it in a while.

IIRC it also gave off unneeded drag as well in BFM. So perhaps that is correct just for STOL and carrier operations.

As far as I know the canards on the Gripen do not simply replace the elevator.
The FBW system decides at all times which angle the canards should be deflected at. For slighter turns they will also sometimes not turn at all and only be directed at the wings to produce more lift. That’s not possible ingame since that’s very complex but the study you linked doesn’t mention at which angles the canards where directed at the different AoA profiles.

It’s entirely possible the FBW controls would set them to different angles at thos AoA angles to avoid those issues at high AoA’s.

in reality, FBW Won’t give you more than 9g and 25-27 AoA