Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

Is this garbage supposed to be a real source?

A Website titled: S*** Elon Says ?
From the wayback machine?

Kind of a stretch when you can simply go to Space X site or any study about the Falcon 9. Was this what you spent all day looking for? This garbage interview?

This is just crap a billionaire lol says. He says really idiotic things daily…

Wait… Do you actually think Elon Musk is a scientist & inventor?? You think he has any clue about space flight? Let me guess you think he invented the electric car? LMFAO

What does this garbage have to do with grid fins?

Any projected area, surface & mass can reduce terminal velocity lol.

Yes, you increase the surfaces area of a falling object through a gas or liquid it will reduce its terminal velocity. This means nothing LMFAOOO

ANY surface can be used to reduce terminal velocity. Even LANDING GEARS. That is why it was mentioned. Do you even know what terminal velocity is??? lol

Jesus Christ, you are brilliant.
The landing gear already works to provide drag, they get dual use out of the landing gear.
Not the Grid fins.

LMFAO. Even Elon confirms the landing gear provides drag. Not the Grid Fins. The grid fins control the Falcon 9’s attitude roll, yaw & pitch.

Your 4th grade reading comprehension full display once again.
You even highlighted the proof that your whole idea that grid fins are used as airbrakes is completely made up.

Dude omg this hilarious! My boy, do you think before you post??
You invertedly highlighted the proof that I was right from the beginning…

Grid fins are not airbrakes, neither are they designed to produce more drag. They are hypersonic grid fins.
The Falcon 9 slows down with its reentry booster & massive drag of the landing gear. According to Elon Musk.

Thanks Elon!

I don’t want to enter into this, but I don’t think MiG is saying that the spaceX fins are purposefully designed to be draggy, just that if they are a bit draggy it is not the end of the world. Not totally optimized to be low drag, which would be a design goal for a missile. Since they are used to control the descent if they drag it isn’t a bad thing

Here,

Spoiler

Can I help you with anything else?

For vehicles that renter the earth’s atmosphere near 17,500 mph it is, absolutely.
There is not really any margin for error in the subject putting 220,000–331,000lb payloads into to low earth orbit.

The falcon 9 needs efficient attitude control in the following speed regimes: reentry, high hypersonic, hypersonic, supersonic & transonic. The Grid Fins are aerodynamically designed to work in all 5. However, it is predominately a Hypersonic grid fin.

Making them too draggy when operating in retry can lead to catastrophic consequences.

Too draggy reduces number of flights from increased wear & stress. They can become inoperable in flight due to the immense compression & superheated airflow at reentry speed & hypersonic etc. Or they can simply be ripped off the Falcon 9 and likely take down the vehicle in the process (Space Shuttle Columbia).

1 Like

You should try comic sans with the bold and enlarged letters

2 Likes
Spoiler

max_g360_c12_r1x1_pd20
max_g360_c12_r4x3_pd20

1 Like

1 Like

Su-57 is different, of course it can carry quite a few missiles on external pylons as well. What is the maximum payload?

The most common figure is 10 tons…

I meant the most number of mounted air to air missiles?

14-16 pieces(P-77-1/ R-74M/R-74M2)…

Spoiler

In_EiyVkBjE

https://m.vk.com/wall-140312885_307109

2 Likes

So around 12x R-77-1 and 2x R-74M2? Possibly more.

1 Like

The scheme from Arma 3, nothing to do with the IRL

RD-180 and Merlin are completely different engines.
RD-180 is closed cycle double chamber engine.
Merlin is open cycle single chamber engine.

They are different engines.

Where was it stated that they are one of the same?

1 Like

SpaceX uses RD-180 on Falcon 9

1 Like

Any day now Ziggy

1 Like

It does not contradict other data!
http://otvaga2004.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=1998&p=29#p1365056

Wait is that what you’re arguing??

Jesus christ stop making me agree with Mig_23M. The Grid fins ABSOLUTLY act as airbrakes. Really, anything that generates lift (in this case the force needed to manipulate the booster) necessarily generates drag and it’s a proportional relationship. If it generates a force on the booster through aerodynamic effects it MUST also generate drag.

They absolutely don’t. The Merlin engine used on the Falcon 9 is entirely homegrown. What you’re thinking of is the Atlas 5. That one did use the RD-180 and that’s why it’s now retired, replaced by Vulcan using BE-4s

1 Like

lol sorry, about that Prophet. I would never intentionally.

As for the grid fins, they are not airbrakes. they are at best stabilizers with higher drag for immediate stability for in the Soyuz in the event of emergency as explained in detail.

Spoiler

Regarding the Falcon 9 its Grid fins are specifically designed for control of pitch, roll & yaw of the Falcon 9. They are hypersonic grid fins.

Spoiler

Aren’t the grid fins just used for manoeuvring?

1 Like