Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection (Part 3)

the Su-27SM and J-11A were basically identical on release

you seem to forget the the Su-27SM wasnt added with the better engines and dual racks

1 Like

The biggest problem was the addition of the Rafale F3 with test MICA pylons, rather than the F2

Yeah, Iirc the only difference on release was the radar.

But that was kind of minor.

also l-150

1 Like

and the rwr

but the J-11A also had a MAW

1 Like

That too, but J-11A also got MAWS.

I still really need to spade the J-11A whenever I have the SL…

Identical? VEP and L150 aren’t big upgrades in your eyes? Actually you made a very good point, the Su27SM, Su30SM and Su30SM2 still need their nonsensical dual racks ripped from them

VEP isn’t, and J-11A has MAW that in many ways simply is better than L-150

1 Like

To be honest, it didn’t really matter, because the entire Su-27 family was crap back then

1 Like

All that VEP would’ve added back then was 20km extra range you would never use, and 1 extra Datalink Channel.

L-150 is huge, but J-11A also got MAWS.

be careful, you’ll summon the horde of “R-27ER killed everything and was meta” people that were allergic to flying low

4 Likes

I genuinly had someone tell me the Su-27 was meta when it was added.

Instead of, Oh, I don’t know, the Gripen…

2 Likes

Yeah, garbage FM

I play the Gripen during the first days, back when its Mauser loadout was comparable to the Vulcan

As if the F-14A wasn’t doing this long before the Su-27…

2 Likes

Nu-uh, doesn’t count

2 Likes

yeah but the F-14 isnt in the soviet tech tree

there has to be a parallel universe where the Iranian F-14 has been added to the Soviet tree, exactly how it was added to the US
and everyone would have screamed russian bias because of the Fakour

4 Likes

RIP Release AWG-9.

I miss you…

thats why we have the F-14D now

1 Like