SAAF JAS-39C Technical Data and Discussion

oh so its debunked based off vibes cool, ever considered its not for sea level then lol, I recall reading its for 15000ft which aligns pretty well. Also its a primary source lol from Armscor lol

Should it? As a layman I understand that Flankers are incredibly maneuverable at low speed, but that this is more in terms of AOA and stall control. It should pull too much AOA for its own good to comfortably outrate meta jets at low speed (although the AOA is enough to get r-73 off).

edit: it should probably win vertical, not horizontal

Instantaneous 24 deg/sec lands dead on with Lavi, nice.
If it has a lower T/W, around 12-13 for gripen looks reasonable.

4 Likes

yeah thats pretty much what im thinking

Whilst again i’m not really in a position to question the legitimacy, but that paper isn’t exactly giving much idea about what they did to obtain the result of 12 deg/s sustained.

Also, it’s not impossible Armscor had an ulterior motive. It’s not Saab, who would be trying to market it.
From what I can see Armscor seems to be primarily invested in small arms, that said thats only a cursory glance. Could be the wrong company altogether.

once again for 15000ft 50% fuel thats a pretty reasonable rate figure

M8 At 18deg AoA wing lose mostly all lift. In RL planes just can’t rate at stall speed like in this game. And is many more things and ways why FM in this game are broken. I doubt it’s any fighter plane 40+ tons can do 200KTS 16deg turn rate XD

What?

1 Like

Where on that paper is stated 50% fuel and what was supposedly loaded up?

Money laundering the report can’t be trusted

Not like that 😂

Paper does not provide that info. That data should not be entertained at all unless more context is given, and a source on why ARMSCOR knows the Gripen’s rates while apparently everybody else, doesn’t.

lolwat? First off, F-14B is the only aircraft I tested above 20 tons, being 22 tons.
Second, F-15C[J] has a 35000 pound rate speed of up to 21.5 degrees per second on a US Standard Day tested by the US Air Force.

@_Yoschi Wings don’t lose all lift beyond 18 degrees AoA. As an example, the MiG-29 and Su-27 continue to produce more lift all the way up to airflow separation and even afterwards the wing still contributes some degree of lift.

2 Likes

AoA increase lift. Usually after ~18 lift it’s not increased but Usually going decreasing. Overall principle

Of course flying body, canards etc. Can extend this. But I just Wana be clear lift don’t rise to infinity with AoA

Btw. This graph show drag increase with AoA or I’m writing it’s wrong ?

I think it’s important we all acknowledge that we are not aerodynamicists. And unfortunately the full performance of the Gripen is classified.

I think drawing uneducated conclusions from questionable outdated fact sheets and unfinished graphs that are even missing most of their numbers and context just has a way higher margin of error than we realise, especially when even 1 degree of rate can mean the difference of life and death.

2 Likes

I just hope whoever is in charge of the flight models at Gaijin knows his stuff, but considering what we’ve seen in game I’m not too hopeful

In fact, just pack up the whole thread. When the most reliable sources in the thread are people drawing crayon lines on graphs we know we are grasping at straws.

It just reads as a balance thread from any other game except we have to bullshit up random data to support our balance ideas.

3 Likes

Using documents that aren’t Saab’s Gripen EM diagrams to approximate or get as close as possible to what we can get is acceptable in lieu of concrete hard data. It is better than having a completely made up flight model.

1 Like

On F-15

2 Likes