Preliminary changelog for the “Air Superiority” Major Update. 07.12.2023 [server is now closed]

Somehow R-73, like all thrust vectoring missiles, still occasionally spirals out of control for no good reason. I’m not really sure what planes and circumstances allow reliable kinetic dodging of 30g missiles, but I don’t imagine it’s all that much more than say a 40g missile. Beyond a certain G overload they are simply not dodgeable.

However you look at it R-73 is much, much easier to flare than 9M and 9M just isn’t prone to spin off or behave in odd ways at the expense of its killing power. But to be honesty, R-73 and 9M are outclassed in most cases by AAM-3

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to imply that, which is obviously not true. but AIM-9L is far more comparable to R-73 than R-60M is to AIM-9L. Even just on the basis of range, ignoring the tiny payload and tiny proxy radius or slew of other major weaknesses of R-60M.

IF you fail to decoy them the chances are almost the same youre going to kill it anyways but unlike the r73 you can still get a kill with the aim 9M even if you initially decoy it, not to mention that the aim 9m is also much harder to decoy in front aspect.

for off boresight what actually makes a change is the tvc control of the r73 otherwise there isnt much of a change, but also the smokeless engine makes it quite dangerous when you use it in a high off bore scenario as it is much harder to see

Sure.

I just never talked about R60, but stock R73 and Magic 2 compared to 9L.

SU27 never had stock R60, so talking about it is simply pointless.

That would be because in my opinion 9M is more cracked than R-73. Go watch anyone trying to flare an AIM-9M, it’s virtually impossible compared to R-73. R-73 is flare hungry compared to AIM-9M.

Granted, F-15 is a bit of a boat with no HMD, but I just really don’t want AIM-9M stock.

If I had my way, we’d not have IRCCM missiles, any of them. Maybe keept R-27T since the IRCCM is basically useless. or just no missiles above 25g or so. I also generally don’t want R-27ER in the game.

I get my 9Ms constantly flared away by 2-3 flare shots…?

Even on the rear aspect…

4 Likes

The AIM-9M is ridiculously easy to flare. R-73 is never going to get flared at its engagement ranges

3 Likes

The AIM-9M isn’t “impossible” to flare, but it has a stronger IRCCM than the R-73. The R-73’s advantage is the thrust vectoring and the fact that it is almost impossible to flare within 1km. However, in my experience, the AIM-9M ignores flares a lot more than the R-73 at longer distances.

1 Like
2 Likes

Strangely enough i have found the R-73 Hilariously easy to flare Except from behind, need to dodge aswell though cus it still will pass pretty close to you

4 Likes

Just a tad biased…

You are completely fine with better airframe with HMD having 40g off-boresight IRCCM missiles stock, but don’t want fat boat having 9M?

Ssure…

3 Likes

I saw on YouTube they are going to release the AMX aircraft for Italy

Can you please advise if the same option will come to WarThunder Assistant app?
I unfortunately dropped my 3 year streak this year due to, well, life.

2 Likes

what are you on dude? never used the r-73 but i have used the aim-9m. i almost always flare the r-73 if i know its coming, but people rarely flare aim-9ms, and depending on aircraft the 9ms are really hard to flare. on the ja/aj37’s (most likely because the huge engine) i find aim-9ms really hard to flare, altough when testing the jas 39 in the dev server they were that hard to flare.

1 Like

Very strange thing to say. The text above what you quoted justifies my stance and text below it actually makes it clear I don’t even want R-73 in the game.

Did you even watch the video?

Well duh. Every all aspect missile will go for the hotter target. In a head-on that turns out to be flares.

In other news water is wet

Except it doesn’t. F15 having 9L stock doesn’t actually remove 9M from the game.
So what difference it makes if you fight against spaded F15 with 9M or stock F15 with 9M?

The point here is that SU27 gets its best IR missile straight from the start, when F15 has to grind for god knows how long to get it.

What you think is the better missile simply doesn’t matter.

So what? It is already in the game.

Id rather it not stock the 9M

2 Likes

So you too just want SU27 to have literally every advantage from the start. Got it.

2 Likes