Panavia Tornado (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

That’s a bug, that is to be fixed soon™

Wouldn’t the early Falklands sea Harrier then also not carry any chaff (aside from some crammed under the airbrake) ?

I don’t think having the BOL rails would increase BR at all. If it was to receive 9Ms or ASRAAM. Now THAT would increase it’s BR. All the BOL rails do is increase the suffering for a bit longer

1 Like

The Sea Harrier got ALE-40s fitted specifically for the Falkland.

Well some of them did at least.

Adding the BOL rails would be a huge buff tho compared to the other Tornados

Doesn’t those ALE-40’s have separate flare and chaff dispensing buttons?

BOL rails alone, no, I doubt it, would just make it playable at 11.3 whilst the other Tornados would continue to struggle. (Tornados are only 11.3 due to A2G loadout not A2A)

But if the Tornado got all its other features it’s currently missing (including the 1200 chaff) then I could see them moving to 11.7, at which point maybe Aim-9Li would be needed.

But it would be all or nothing I reckon for it to need a BR increase

Yeah, but doesn’t magically mean it’s now an 11.7. most I could see is maybe the other Tornados going down to 11.0, but if that was the case. I would really want TIALD 500s

It’s definitely not coming with the Gr.4 considering that the ASSTA already has the Listening.

Was the series-500 pod ever used on the GR.1?
From what I’ve read it was still in development when GR.4 entered service

I assume so, but even if not, we do have quite a late tornado Gr1, and it might be ahistorical but would be balanced

I have 2 questions then: When was the TIALD 500 put into service and when was the GR1 put out of service.

I have no idea for either of the top of my head, but I assume an overlap

Based upon what I can find (not primary sources)

TIALD 500 was slated for Jaguar Gr3 (among other airframes) that retired in 2007. So some time before 2007

Tornado GR1s last saw operational service in 2003 (with 5 years of Gr1 and Gr4 flying side by side)

So possible enough overlap for TIALD 500 for the Gr1. Would mean all 3 tornado IDS with guided weapons had gen 2 pods. Then Gr4 can get Litening III

1 Like

If the only thing making the Tornado an 11.3 is the a2g loadout then those changes wouldn’t justify a BR increase at all.

Only difference between MFG and the other 3 IDS is guided bombs. MFG is 11.0

Looks like no AMRAAMs so probably no new ADV variant

1 Like

Good we don’t want another flying barge

1 Like

Dev stream starts in <80min so let’s look at what they give us

Been confirmed as SA Gripen C