Mikoyan MiG-31 Foxhound (Izdeliye 01/01DZ): Defender of the Soviet Frontiers

But the R-33 is even worse than the AIM-54A. And it also SARH.

+1, looks cool as hell. Would honestly love to see a whole little line of Soviet interceptors, the only space I can think of to put them in the TT is after the bombers - starting with the Yak-28P after its bomber variant, followed on by Su-9/11, Su-15TM, MiG-25PD (I know how hard it might be to include in game - its too iconic to ignore it though!), and of course the MiG-31 (honestly both the standard variant and the upgraded M or BM)

A separate question, is there any more specific information on exactly the number of A2A missiles and types that can be carried depending on variant? Since I understand the MiG-31 was adapted to use “common” missiles like the R-60M/R-27/R-73/R-77 in addition to its unique R-40/R-33/R-37

MiG-31: 4x R-33, 4x R-60M or 2x R-40TD-1
MiG-31B: 4x R-33S, 4x R-60M or 2x R-40TD-1
MiG-31BM: 6x R-37 or R-37M, 4x R-73 or R-73M or R-77 or R-77-1
MiG-31M (prototypes only): 6x R-37, 4x R-73 or R-77 or 2x R-37 or R-33S
On the missiles:
R-33: SARH missile with poor manueverability, rated for 4g enemy manuevers. Aerodynamically similar to the AIM-54, likely can pull ~15g.
R-33S: R-33 with larger control surfaces, better motor, and better seeker for improved range (120km->160km) and double the maneuverability. Rated for 8g target manuevers, same as the R-60. So likely ~30g pull, especially if R-33 is ~15g.
R-37: ARH missile. Aerodynamically unstable for greatly improved maneuverability, probably ~40-50g pull. ~180km range.
R-37M: R-37 with liquid-fuel, potentially thrust-vectoring, booster stage. Pushes the missile well beyond Mach 5 even from low-altitude subsonic launches. ~300km range, making it the fastest and longest-range AAM in the world.
Not unique to the Foxhound:
R-77-1: improved version of the R-77 equivalent to AIM-120C-5. Longer range.
R-73M: R-73 with dual-band UV/IR seeker like a Stinger. Potentially upgraded flight performance?

1 Like

R-73M?

Probably they meant R-74M. From that I saw from quick search, it just improved R-73 with better maneuverability

Wait until you find out R-33 is AIM-54 equivalent, significantly worse than AIM-120.
It’ll be a lower BR than Su-27SM.

@Flogger_cbs
R-33S is an active radar homing missile.

@WalletWorrier
I see no reason to limit Mig-31 to R-60Ms when it could be given 13.0 with R-73s.

You’re confusing the R-33 and the R-37.

1 Like

Additionally, the MiG-31 was incompatible with R-73s until the BM model which had new wings with redesigned pylons. This also mean the M could theoretically carry R-73s, but it was designed as a pure BVR vehicle, with the cannon removed and no intention for IR missiles. But for WT purposes it needs something for short range so that’s why I listed R-73s for it

The Mig-31BM added R-37 and R-77 support.
Mig-31 already had R-73 support long before hand.

What’s wrong with this forum?

Spoiler

I thought I included the S to begin with, so I added it in.
I’m busy currently so adding a post addressing it wasn’t done.

This raises doubts.

Pretty much. The 74M also has a FAR better seeker

Unfortunately he’s wrong. I thought this at first, but after a LOT of digging it’s pretty clear the versions before the M/BM only had R-60Ms for close-range engagements

Better manoeuvrability, seeker and significantly improved range.

Can anyone identify the exact model of the MiG?

BM by the wing pylon
Could potentially be a BSM if it lacks IFR

MiG-31/B

2 large pylons for armament, sometimes 2 small one for fuel tanks

MiG-31M/BM

4 small pylons for armament

2 Likes

R-33S have nuke warhead (as I readed in multiple sources)?

you mean russian f-14?