Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29M (9-15) - what the fulcrum would have been

This plane doesn’t really have anything magically advanced thought, the avionics are the same of the SMT (worse if we consider the early prototypes), and the flight performance would put it on par with other 4th gen aircraft.

Also it’s not some magical unifinished prototype, the 155 and 156 aircraft were completely finished in terms of:
Having all the avionics (radar, rwr, irst etc.)
Having fired in tests all the weapons it had…
Having countermeasures installed

And in the case of the 156 (the prototype in suggestion)
It had the final finished cockpit (basically same cockpit of the SMT)
and especially production tools were ready to mass produce completely identica copies of it.

This aircraft basically is neither overpowered (at least unless they give it a bs flight model),
nor a prototype where we have to guess some of the things it could use and some of the things it could carry.

4 Likes

Both MiG-29Ks (9-31 and 9-41) are not lighter

Not lighter but lacks the hump and has better engines with two extra pylons

nicee

1 Like

This article also claims the L-150 pastel for the later prototypes MiG-29M (Fulcrum E) :: Ruslet .

Yefim Gordon’s book also claims that:
Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 13.36.26

5 Likes

Lately I’ve been trying to find footage of an air show/display of the MiG-29 showing how much more maneuverable it would be, especially at low speed.

TBF it’s been a struggle to find videos of the aircraft flying.
Until is stumbled upon a French documentary including why seems to be the 9.15 in the part corresponding to the presentation talking about it. Time code is 45:05 to 48:40.

I do think it’s the 9.15 due to better display of maneuverability and camo being the same as the 156, down to the flag + dogtooth elevator.
Correct me if I’m wrong, I think it has its place in the thread ;)

4 Likes

Did a light skim over the comments but haven’t seen anyone ask this yet:
Why can it only carry 2 R-27ER/ET missiles but 4 R-27R/T missiles?

Regardless, major +1, as it would actually make for a highly competitive Flight Model MiG-29 (and they tend to be quite lackluster in my experience)

Generally because of a weight restriction on certain pylons

3 Likes

I wanna like this suggestion so bad, but it’s already at 29 likes. It’s perfect!

3 Likes

Beautiful video! Yes it’s definitely a MiG-29M 9-15!

4 Likes

Other 2 people liked it, now you can like it too :D

4 Likes

Yay! Perhaps I’ll wait to be number 33 wink wink

Edit:

5 Likes

I love how successful this suggestion is, 94% acceptance is no joke. I’ve seen multiple ppl that aren’t even Russia mains getting excited with the possible addition of this plane.

We’ll get it soon 🙏

5 Likes

34 now, +1 and it’s 35 :)

5 Likes

36 now )))

1 Like

Come on Gaijin make it happen.

I want strong proper Mig-29 that can handle F-16’s, not some fatass SMT.

8 Likes

Not to set expectations too high but the instability alone, doing a quick calculation by making the lift done by the elevator positive instead of negative, at around 450kph at SEA level it should get ~0.3G extra normal overload in a sustained turn (weight increase included).

Considering it also has refined aerodynamics (especially for higher AoAs), stronger engines and improved intakes that should massively reduce the very high thrust loss it currently has at low speed…. This thing seems to be really a monster in flight performance, probably better than even the gripen.

No wonder the MiG-29K looks absolutely insane in airshows while weighting 1 ton more

3 Likes

IMG_1338

3 Likes

Suggestion part edited to account for Fox-3 introduction

9 Likes

I just love grinding new vehicles, Idy why it’s so satisfying to grind vehicles

3 Likes