Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - History, Design, Performance & Dissection

They really REALLY need to change MP’s current implementation in-game. At this point in air battles, MP has become outright game-defining, and i cant really find any half decent pilot that likes it. It massively skews air combat in the advantage of dogfighters and completely invalidates any strengths of jets that rely on their radar weapons.

The idea that its a “balancing” feature as has been claimed by gaijin is ludicrous as well, since as mentionned, it sways the balance in favour of a specific class of jets and has literally no counter play. Its a crutch to make top tier more forgiving for the hordes of rank 7 premium players, and until this blatant crutch is removed, air combat will remain a furball and dogfight dominated.

MP abuse used to be mitigated by high alt players being able to dive down on lawnmowers and dropping IR missiles on their heads with impunity, but the addition of the excessive contrails and the fact they do not happen in an altitude band but at any alt above one set by gaijin, along with the R-27ER being literally completely uncontested in BVR, and a death sentence at ranges that the spotting system may not actually see the launch aircraft at, make flying at alt borderline suicide, as the power dynamic has been completely swayed in favor of the lawnmowers. There is literally no disadvantage to abusing MP anymore, and no advantage in fighting for altitude control, which is why MP so widely abused.

That being said, I’m almost sure they intend to remove it eventually, specifically due to the fact that none of the MP/min alt bug reports made have been closed as “Not a bug”. They all remain “acknowledged” and open on the bug report site, just waiting to be fixed…

As for when they’ll be fixed, that’s a mystery. The upcoming fox 3 patch would be the most obvious contender imo tho.

Yeah, in its current implementation its an absolutely terrible mechanic which makes combat in game a laughably unrealistic portrayal of real life air to air engagements. But due to the ‘early’ roll out of tomcats and then the ER i dont think it would have been reasonable to change it anytime sooner. So, i (and a metric ton of others) am really hoping it gets addressed this coming update since that will be basically the first time that every nation will have practical parity in radar missiles and is the perfect time to finally change the mechanic towards a far more realistic implementation.

And the lack of outright denial this time in smins reply to apollo on that issue a couple days ago gives me some hope we might actually see something happen, with maybe some news planned to come on that recent CM news thread they made.

Ruslet is one of the good sources, I have personally written to the site owner and he is a big fan of Russian technology who spends a lot of money on his resources.

I kind of think they NEED to address it with the intro of fox 3’s tbh.

The F-4F ICE for example (germany’s only jet for the near future it seems) will be completely and totally outclassed by everything it faces in WVR combat. It will either need a lower BR than top tier, IRIS-T, or a mix of both to even begin to compete, and i dont think either of those options are as healthy as just fixing MP.

Im very curious to see what plateform other nations get for their first fox 3 plateforms as well. I think Russia/France/Britain/Sweden are the big winners of the upcoming patch if MP isnt fixed

never saw smins message that you’re referring to, care to link it?

2 Likes

The presumption of the source being shit was likely made because of the poor reading and explanation of it.

The fact of the matter is that he is misreading the information and claiming the R-27ER must only be able to operate on these specific radars frequencies. This isn’t the case as it shares the seeker, guidance unit, and datalink receivers of the normal R-27R.

Further, the standard unmodified R-27R is ALSO able to be used with those aircraft and radars. The assumption that the ER is not compatible with the earlier radar is absurd.

There is also the fact that he skimmed my thread and failed to link any materials that show the R-27 guidance (seeker, autopilot, receivers) are the exact same between both missiles.

4 Likes

oh yeah here u go:

That was right before they made that new CM news thread - could just be copium but certainly seems like an inference that MP will be talked about over there (soon TM).

1 Like

You mean tech mods? What can they say? They know the R-27ER was only brought to the game to increase the game efficiency. I actually have further proof regarding the N019M Topaz I chose not disclose or think I can publicly.

But perhaps you are right, or maybe I do not have to submit anything & already have been messaging a dev & I am just here to simply generating community feedback? Like an actual community member should do?

Or maybe neither, I guess we will never know huh.

Because they share the same seeker does not mean they are guided by the same channels lol.

Do you think that the vast, widely different radars & fire controls that guide the Aim-120 all produce the same main channels frequencies to guide them? Just because the Aim-120 has one seeker head? No programing, whatsoever had to take place? lol

You understand how easy it would be to jam them all if one radar is compromised right?

Why would the Soviet Union develop the R-27ER throughout the mid 80s, to deploy it in 1990 & knowingly allow it to be guided by the same N019 Rubin radar that the Americans already compromised, having the N019 Rubin & R-27 schematics, jam proof data, detection, tracking & guidance frequencies as well as the state recognition system of the USSR?

Even though Phazotron Chief Designer already admitted this to the KGB in 1985 & while on the stand in Moscow in 1986 at his trial? Even though they designed a replacement radar N019M specifically because of this traitor?

The N019M Topaz is an updated version, developed as a response to the compromise of the N019 radar by a US spy. Tested from 1986, it entered limited production in 1991. Slightly lighter than the N019 at 350kg. Topaz has increased ECM resistance, new software, and a more advanced built-in monitoring system. A new Ts101M computer eliminates the processor overload problems of the N019, more than doubling capacity to 400,000 operations per second whilst weighing less, just 19kg, and with doubled MTBF of 1000h compared to the 500h of the Ts100. N019M allows two targets to be engaged by active radar homing missiles simultaneously. Range increased slightly to 80km. Originally intended to be fitted to the existing MiG-29 fleet as an upgrade, about 22 aircraft with N019M are thought to have entered service with the VVS.
N019 Radar | MiG Alley Military Aviation News

Why would the Russians do this? The answer is they would never.

That is why you will never find a single Product 9-12 or 9-13 in all of the world with the R-27ER unless it has the N019M Topaz radar or greater.

Even after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Do you understand how dumb it would be to sell R-27ERs to your allies knowing that yours & their enemies such as NATO have the exact same radars that guide it?

Can you find me a single NATO country that has the N019M radar or the R-27ER?
I will wait.

I agree 10000000000% with you bud, for me winning in war thunder isn’t pleasurable when you have an artificial advantage over your opponents and you KNOW that something is off, you know that your vehicle isn’t working how it’s supposed to. I wouldn’t care if the russian winrate drops substantially after some kind of rework on its current aircraft in order to make them realistic, i’d probably get shitted on by a f15 sniper? Yeah, but at least i’d be able to dance on the air with a maneuverable aircraft, which is enough for me, victory isn’t the most important thing after all it’s just a game.

There’s something gracious about early soviet 4th gen fighters, planes that IRL were known almost as harmless when they are far away, but the closer they get, the more disturbing the dogfighting atmosphere becomes because you know what those things are capable of. 80s duels between western and eastern aircraft are like sniper players x shotgun players in fps games, as a westerner you want to keep these damn beasts far away from you and as a easterner you have to struggle to get close to it to terrorize the poor guy, a beautiful and dynamic duel.

3 Likes

Feel free, they’ll likely just not respond or if they do… Will tell you what you already know. The missile is compatible with the older radars as is the R-27R.

Obviously the various radars will guide on different channels even between airframes… radar missiles are designed to use more than one channel or frequency… Kinda how they work.

No, that’s what you implied about the R-27ER only being usable on two radars.

Stop posting nonsense

4 Likes

Where did imply only being usable on two radars? Please point that out & quote me.

Prove it.
Find me a single Mig-29 product 9-12 or 9-13 anywhere in the world with the N019 Rubin equipped with the R-27ER.

Why would the Russian Federation & their allies allow the R-27ER to be guided by radars NATO already owns & NATO already knows everything about & can jam.

Please answer that question out loud. I am waiting.

You’re the only one derailing a good discussion & a refresh into the MiG-29 & potentially making the game more realistic. Just read my post I put a lot of time into it. Please ask legitimate questions.

No need to repeat over & over something you can never prove even with a single source or picture. Just because it is so currently in War Thunder (which GJ already said why) does not make it a technical reality & does not change history.

N019 Rubin & R-27ER is not compatible. Only N019M & N001 Mech or greater.

My favorite MiG not just because its Serbian,
ERs, R-73 & R-77s on a 9-12A… Even R60Ms just because. A specially tailored Serbian Mig-29SM+ that is similar to the Syrian MiG-29SM that are upgraded 9-12A airframes too. They both have N019ME radars.

3 Likes

Sorry…

That is Code: 27 Blue, Reg: RF-92108

In Krymsk, Russia - December 2011

A Product 9-13S

Nice try though!

1 Like

All hardware besides booster is 1:1… Your entire argument is formed on the premise that there is something preventing R-27ER from being used on platforms that can already guide the standard R-27R. The only limiting factor that is uncertain is software.

As BBCRF has shown you, the R-27ER has equipped older aircraft. Your entire chain of logic is flawed and absurd.

It’s time to let go of this nonsense.

The fact is that the ER was not assigned to the MiG-29 nne because he could not use it.But because they were supplied to air defense units and to heavy Su-27 fighters.The MiG-29 radar could not fully realize the potential of the ER

2 Likes

The enemy could jam the N019 radar

The N019 could not utilize the full performance of the R-27ER

The N019 was long being replaced by the time the R-27ER was ready for service

There was no reason to equip older airframes with the missile… this does not mean it could not equip the missile. Gaijin has already stated that they care not for if they did - only that they could. No need for us to entertain Ziggy further.

That is a 9-13S lol. I already seen this old picture & know exactly when & where the photo is taken.

R27ER’s can be equipped on older aircraft Jr. That not the problem. Its guiding them with older compromised Soviet & NATO radars :)

N019 Rubin cannot guide them. Keep sending me pictures though it’s fun.

Frontal Aviation Su-27s received R-27ERs. You just made that up.

Lol if that was the case why did you literally just try to pass off a well-known Product 9-13S to me as a regular 9-13 with R-27ERs?

Tbh that should be enough to make the ER exclusive to more advanced variants of the mig29, that missile is just too powerful to face 3rd gen in a regular basis.

But in the end It’s up to gaijin to interpret and decide…

3 Likes

Unless they give the 29 r73s and change it’s BR ofc

I’ve actually been a proponent of its removal from the 9-12 and 9-13 models from the start.

N019 can guide the 9B-1101K seeker and provide mid-course updates through the mid-body datalink receivers … which is shared between the two missiles. Your argument is nonsense.

You asked for a 9-13, you did not specify that you meant solely the original 9-13 and no derivatives.

Either way, your point is not standing.

Ziggy, once again you’re parading for a change but trying to go about it the wrong way.

The Su-27 primarily went to the air defense aviation