MANPADS Missiles and Overload: The Technical Details

Can somebody tell me whether I should be seething regarding this update or not?

I don’t want to bother reading this much text explaining stuff, when it’s most likely nonsense

I’m not sure what you mean by this. There’s no further update to MANPADS currently since this was announced.

1 Like

This is the current state of the game.

Mistral, Stinger and the HN-6 manpad missiles are nerfed because Gaijin believes that like 6-10 sources (flight manuals, marketing materials and technical documents) of the missiles themselves are inaccurate and since the Igla can’t pull more than ~10G continuous, Stingers and the other certainly cannot do that.

The gist here is that despite nomerous primary sources stating otherwise, Gaijin thinks that their crooked math and “we believe” is more accurate.

26 Likes

I just saw the date of the thread, thought before that this is some kind of update where they improved the missiles, but not anywhere close to reality.

So, being annoyed is what I should be.

Literally blatant Russian bias but let’s keep denying it guys.

11 Likes

Could someone further along in their (aerospace) engineering degree/career than me (who also isn’t as tired as I am rn) check out the following sources to see if they could help establish a better set of equations of motion to evaluate rolling-body missiles? If a set of equations was established, we could actually prove the overloads of the Stinger or Mistral.

1. SEVERAL MODELS OF SIX DEGREE OF FREEDOM EQUATIONS OF MOTION FOR A BALLISTIC MISSILE - Defense Technical Information Center -
Showing it is unclassified, approved for public release

1. TRAJECTORY EQUATIONS FOR A SIX-DEGREE-OF-FREEDOM MISSILE - Defense Technical Information Center
Showing it is unclassified, approved for public release

1. Six-Degree-of-Freedom Digital Simulations for Missile Guidance and Control - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282544421_Six-Degree-of-Freedom_Digital_Simulations_for_Missile_Guidance_and_Control - Published as open access under Creative Commons
6 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

6 Likes

I know they’re using the wrong math, but with a new set of equations we would be able to say what the peak and average overload of a PID-controlled missile is

There is no need to, as the sources provide them: 16-18Gs.

But Gaijin doesn’t believe it because “math,” so try at least try to get something done we should prove how more efficient PID is.

Waste of time, gaijin’ll ignore it like they have with the Challies

1 Like

Potentially, tbh.

Thought I’d throw these links out there.

https://archive.org/download/DTIC_ADA073456/DTIC_ADA073456.pdf

4 Likes

Do you have a page showing the second and fourth source are unclassified and approved for public release? It only says unclassified

ADA397650 is listed as unclassified on the coverage.

20030071145 is a research paper, its citation can be found at; An Aerodynamic Analysis of a Spinning Missile with Dithering Canards - NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS) and is listed as public

ADA073456 is listed on the top right of PDF Page #1 (microfilm overview, and again on the reproduced coverpage of the document PDF page #3)

19710065199 is unclassified as per the downgrade markings on the coverpage

and ADA466818 is listed as Class A(distribution unlimited); on PDF page #2 (Its documentation page)

3 Likes

Since the second source was AIAA I suspected it was fine, but wasn’t sure. The fourth source just says unclassified, though, and not unclassified and approved for public release (not trying to be an ass, it could be export restricted for whatever reason).

My brother in christ citation 4 is in a public library that is accessible online.

1 Like

It didn’t say it explicitly, though. I assumed it was a military-personnel-only library

Can someone with programming experience in Fortran, C, Ada, or 1970s/1980s era microprocessors (preferably with experience with control theory) message me? I’m not familiar with the languages and want to figure out the actual number of cycles needed to update a PID loop.

I’ve found an example a PID controller program someone has made in C whose variables are all floats, so unless the code was done in assembly or something (or some other behind the scenes wizardry I don’t understand), the microprocessors necessary to handle the random guy’s code are 32-bit. The earliest 32-bit processors are from 1979, and more came around in the early 1980s (so around the time of the Stinger-RMP). Another thing that adds to it is that the Wikipedia page (completely unsourced and I get I’m “citing” Wikipedia) says the RMP has four processors with 4 KB of RAM each and the C program is 3.718 KB total.

PID controller program in C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOByx3Izf5U
GitHub - pms67/PID: PID controller implementation written in C.

A simulation of the POST Seeker ( MIM-72G & FIM-92B and later);

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA130027.pdf