M4A3 (75) W: American Workhorse

Also, I’ve heard that Allied tank crews sometimes loaded more ammunition into their tanks than they were meant to carry, meaning this extra ammo was just laying in the open, without protection from armoured bins.

1 Like

+1 ive always enjoyed the m4a3 (105) and i think it would be nice to have the 75 version

The one Sherman I want the most.
Madness that the US Army’s preferred and most used Sherman variant isn’t present ingame.

Ideally it’ll have the high-bustle turret, vision cupola, loader’s hatch, thickened turret (where gunner is), M34A1 mantlet, no applique, and no sand shields. T48 or T54E1 rubber chevron tracks too.

Stick it in a folder after M4A2 75, and it’d just be perfection. +1

5 Likes

Knowing Gaijin, they would still slap the ugly sand shields on this M4A3 Sherman intended to combat in Europe without deserts like every USA ground vehicle except M4A1s and Jumbos. I wish we had tank customization in the game that allows us to delete sand shields and other eye-sore features already.

4 Likes

Would this be the VVSS or HVSS version? adding HVSS to it would make it the only 75mm HVSS sherman ingame and would give it a huge boost over the M4A2 in terms of both mobility and appearance

2 Likes

Personally I hope it’d be VVSS just because of the iconic look.
I can see where you’re coming from with the potential HVSS variant, it’d be cool.

Speaking of, an M4A3R2 HVSS Zippo would basically be that plus the addition of a flamethrower, which I’d see as a more unique way of adding form of M4A3 75W HVSS, which isn’t just another 75mm Sherman.

2 Likes

I’d prefer the M4A3 with its VVSS; however, I don’t mind it being included with an HVSS as the available and optional modification like Ostketten tracks modification for German tanks.

2 Likes

HVSS makes no noticeable impact on mobility in game, as the suspension boggies are basically modeled identically performance wise, and WarThunder does not model ground pressure. The reason the M4A3 (76) is more mobile than the M4A2 (76) is simply sheer horsepower.

2 Likes

YES PLEASE.

I’ve been waiting for this baby for years.

+1

MOR SHERM

WarThunder does actually model ground pressure, believe it or not. You can easily see its effects between the T-80 and T-72.

The T-80 isn’t affected while the T-72 is.

I don’t know much about modern tanks but as far as I know the T-80 series has far much more hp/ton than T-72 series.

That to say, no I don’t believe it.

While true, you’ll notice it more when going through rough terrain. The T-80, unlike the T-72 and western MBT doesn’t bog down in rough terrain. The Merkava Mk.4 is the same way. Neither the Merkava nor the T-80 slows down as much when deep in mud unlike other vehicles.

Another example is the M-51 versus the Tiger 2 in mobility. The Tiger 2 is faster despite having a worse power to weight ratio. That’s because the King Tiger has better ground pressure.

I’d rather see actual video evidence. So far, in my testing even with custom models on rougher ground and experimenting with different weights and engines, ground pressure never mattered. Horsepower/ton and the transmission did.

Even upgrades like Ostketten don’t change the performance on the ground to any noticeable level. And you’d think this would be when ground pressure is most noticeable, since it’s the same tank but with completely diffent ground pressure values.

Also the Tiger II has a far better transmission than the M-51. The ground pressure of the M-51 is not noticeably poorer due to the wider HVSS.

I don’t really know how to explain this to you, but if you play the high tier tanks in-game, you’ll feel it. Certain tanks just move better for no reason.

1 Like

There’s always a reason.

Transmissions and hp/ton are it.

The Merkava shouldn’t outrun an Abrams. (Gaijin also got the weight wrong)

I’m sure there is, but it’s neither of these things (at least, not only them).
Try to compare the agility of M26 Pershing and a Panther. Despite the latter having better hp/ton, it feels much worse to drive under any conditions other than simply driving in a straight line.

But Panther A/G/F have ~13.25 hp/t vs the M26s 12.02 hp/t

Oh, I thought you meant the other way around. But Panthers also feel much more mobile than the M26.

please bro pleasee

The M26’s transmission model is far better than the Panther’s. Yes, the M26 is only 6 forward gears rather than 7, but those gears are distributed better. For example, the two first gears of the Panther are both very low speed gears (3 and 7 km/h respectively), when in game just having the 7 km/h gear would actually perform better. There are very little situations where you’d need such a low speed gear (if any), and in reality all it does is make it so the tank is stuck for a split second at 3 km/h as the driver takes time to switch gears.

The M26’s hull is wider and shorter, which could contribute to better performance in a turn.

Another thing to consider is that the M26 is also shorter in height. If the PoV sits at a lower height, you might feel like you’re going faster even if you aren’t.

1 Like