M1A2 (M256E1) - The Forgotten L/55 Armed Abrams

+1

That is indeed a .50 cal mount. On top.

+1

If Russia can get the 292, I see no reason the US can’t get this. Ideally as a TT tho

3 Likes

Unstabilized, and the US already has the 120S

120S isn’t comparable, it’s armor is practically non-existent and it has no mobility. This would have mobility and armor, and I feel that trading away stabilization for moar firepower would make it a viable side-grade.

2 Likes

That would be great, Russia in the game has the Obj 292, the M1A2 with M256E1 Cannon would be the minimum, the ideal would be the M1 Thumper.

3 Likes

The tank Erika said to you not worry about (you have a L/44).

1 Like

How about the thumper? Its a type of abrams with a 140mm gun and a auto loader

I saw this mentioned in another thread, but apparently the tank in this suggestion does not actually carry the M256E1 cannon, but rather, the XM291.
m256e1

2 Likes

Edit: I feel like I was a little unintentionally harsh on that lol, my bad.

The gun looks off from being the M256E1 and looked like the XM291, this confirms it. This is actually legit, another 140mm M1A2 Abrams w/ its CITV. Now the question is if this was stabilized though I’d imagine it would run into the same problem as the M256E1 version.

1 Like

Interesting. Gonna need that documentation though. This suggestion is still valid though, to my understanding as the vehicle was still built. We just don’t have a picture of the thing. I encourage someone else to make a suggestion for the XM291 armed Abrams. I’ll change the picture after I get home.

1 Like

I don’t have any documentation for this specific vehicle, this is the forum post I was referencing, and here is the Twitter post from my screenshot.

I haven’t been able to find any images on it either, just the XM291-armed variants (120mm/140mm) and a powerpoint image.

Edit: If no images can be found of the vehicle, it may be easier to convert the suggestion the M1A2 140mm variant (the images in the suggestion) or the M1A1 120mm variant (seen below).

2 Likes

If I can’t find images of the M256E1 armed Abrams, I’ll just used the General Dynamics render of it. Should be more or less accurate to reality.

1 Like

Suggestion has been updated, likely to a temporary state. I’ll keep looking for more info albeit passively.

There is no images of the M256E1 armed Abrams.

More Please

M1A2 Abrams with 120mm L55 M256E1 smoothbore gun during trials in 1999 ...