Leopard 2HEL - Greece cat

4K snap from the new trailer. From the looks of it, this tank has the new hull armor package, but lacks the armored commander’s sight, so I’d guess it’s a standard Leopard 2A6 model with the Strv 122A’s hull armor package added on.


Either way, I think 2nd generation gunner thermals are going to be the most important thing to confirm once the dev server comes around.

It’s called mexas🥀

Which is an armor package, no lies were told. It’s also already on the trailer model so it shouldn’t be of concern anymore.

Corrected you with its actual name.

Thanks

Is it wrong? What should it look like in comparison?


From what I understand, both tanks have the PERI R17 A2 periscope. On the Leopard 2A6 and 2A6EX, this periscope comes default with an integrated TIM thermal sight. For the Leopard 2HEL, the thermal sight was swapped out for an OPHELIOS-P, which is second generation as opposed to first. The other upgrade appears to be some uparmoring for the PERI, however to what extent I do not know, we can merely see plates covering the sides and rear.

At best, the lack of extra armor for the periscope is just a modeling error. At worst, it means Gaijin may have forgotten about the updated commander thermal sights, and as such would need to be notified about this before live.

1 Like

It’s hard to see in this trailer shot alone, and it could have been updated since. We’ll see how it’s modeled on the dev server tmrw. A lot of the model does look accurate, so I do have faith they’ll get most things right, and will correct this if needed.

1 Like

Come to think of it, the dev server is using G1 Thermal—is this just a temporary setup? Or should I file a bug report?

1 Like

Bug report would be easy considering you already have a bunch of sources in this suggestion to pull from. This one should be a primary as it’s from KMW themselves (Leopard 2HEL manufacturer).

Thank you. It’s great that it’s easy to create bug reports. However, since it’s hard to imagine that someone wouldn’t be aware of something so obvious, I think I’ll wait until the next dev update.

I’m not too certain on whether i should ask this here, but, why does the 2a6 HEL not have spall liners in the hull, and only has them in the turret ? From what i recall, being based on 2a6 ex, it did have spall liners.

Also, what logic is behind the fact that 2a6hel armour in mm equals 2a7v/2a7hu ? Despite having mexas-h like on strvs ? There is so much wrong with the fact that hel gets the “worse” armour in mm of the 7v and hu, starting from the fact that 7v and hu themselves have their armour wrongly modelled and represented, the fact that mexas-h doesn’t equal mexas-h is kinda…i know there can be different internal armour and whatnot, but i must say it’s a bit weird to see in terms of war thunder.

Don’t get me wrong, the armour of 2hel is still phenomal and it still works basically like on 122s or 7v, it’s just confusing to look at, and i wonder what logic behind the current numbers is.