IRIS-T - The pinnacle of IR guided Short Range Air to Air Missiles

yes that is a possibility, after all its fully compatible with sidewinder launchers, but the rails dont look like that to me.
They’re called rails, because… they’re rails. This just looks like a heavy lift pylon to me indicating either bombs or air to ground missiles. If its a 14" lug space mount then missile rails can be mounted on it but missiles won’t fit on it without those rails.

The article also mentions they could’ve gotten it from the IRIS-T SLM batteries which i dont think is possible or feasible. the SLM missiles are shipped in and launched from containers and i dont think they’ve been tested for launch from aircraft so i dont think they would use SLM missiles for that. they might have gotten normal IRIS-T missiles for SLS launchers but i’m unsure whether or not that has happened already.

Would it be possible? Yes.
But did the picture prove that it was done? No.

1 Like

Probably for a Stormshadow? They somehow need to bring those into the air, before launch.

1 Like

they use su-24s for those, MiG-29 cannot carry that much weight on the wings afaik.

Ukraine would like to have a word with you.

so far the IRIS-T has been proven to be very capable in defending the ukrainian airspace.

ASRAAM “the true king of IR”, thats why germany left the program because they found it is inferior to the R-73 to make the IRIS-T, makes sense…
no but being serious and not trying to start a bitchfight, both are very good IR missiles and the design of the ASRAAM is completely different to the IRIS-T, both have different strength based on what their country needed.
so if you think the ASRAAM is better, thats your opinion, idc.

and nobody claimed the Leopard 2 is invincible, and what does that even have to do with this topic?

so if you dont have anything to add to this topic please just leave.

5 Likes

Compare how many countries use the IRIS-T vs how many countries use the ASRAAM, and see who is truly king

Personal I think dev not ready consider IRIS-T 2023- Q1 2025 because IRIS-T great maneuvering, great flare resistant and very good range for modern all-aspect Air-to-Air Missile

I would not call it the “pinnacle” of IR guided short range air to air missiles

1 Like

****** hell. its a ******* title.
if thats all you have to say about this post then keep it to yourself

6 Likes

How many countries use the F-22?

2 Likes

it clearly is

what a comparison man…holy shit- never saw such a fitting comparsion before
(sarcasm)

1 Like

IRIS-T is by far the best IR short range missile
next in row would be A-Darter
9x and asraam are not even close, stop the cope

5 Likes

To say it is the culmination of short range IR missiles is a farce, there are still many improvements to be made and there already exists missiles with similar (and better) capability, so no… not quite the correct word here I think.

So that there are still clear possibilities to improve them, I see just as much, especially in the area of the seeker. But I can’t think of one that’s even better than the IRIS-T.

The AIM-9X Block 2 corresponds to the experimental or prototype samples of the IRIS-T and the R-73M does not even come close to the AIM-9X Block 2.

This is also the reason why Russia is desperately looking for (and developing) an alternative to the R-73 and why South Korea has preferred the IRIS-T to the AIM-9X Block 2.

Also i forgot to name python 5 in the previous post

6 Likes

the top 3 IR missiles imo are Python-5, IRIS-T and 9X

MICA, PL-10, ASRAAM are all competitors and offer good performances… we do not know enough about the IRIS-T and you could claim the advertisements from Germany say one thing but I have noticed a trend… German stuff tends to be over-marketed heavily and usually fails to quite meet the standard they claim. I’m not hopeful the IRIS-T quite meets the standard they claim due to this historical precedence within their industry.

2 Likes

‘‘German stuff tends to be over-marketed heavily and usually fails to quite meet the standard they claim. I’m not hopeful the IRIS-T quite meets the standard they claim due to this historical precedence within their industry.’’

Looks towards ukraine
98% hitrate
over-marketed
ok

edit: the hitrate has gone down to 90%
(at least im that honest about it)

10 Likes

lets agree to disagree.

2 Likes

I’m not even sure what is the argument here - that tanks are invulnerable to mines and artillery? You’re aware each and every MBT is vulnerable to those as, news flash - MBTs IRL don’t magically repair their tracks in 15 seconds like in War Thunder.

If so, I guess the tank as a design is dead. Take your head out of your ass. Nobody claimed Leopard 2 is invincible as far as I know, but at the same time I’ve seen many claims that Western MBTs are “top dogs”, I take you will be talking with the same tone when Chally 2s or M1s are taken out with the same methods, aye?

Your post still ignores that IRIS-T and ASRAAM fill out different niches, IRIS-T is a pinpoint missile with so far, an excellent track reckord via IRIS-T SLM variant, it’s meant to be an maneuverable as possible, but it sacrifaces range to do so, because it’s a thrust vectoring missile with a diameter of 127mm, on the other side we have the ASRAAM which is aerodynamically steered like older AIM-9 missiles and thus at best achieves ~50G and a diameter of 152mm or so - it’s meant to be as long range as possible to make IRST on the British EFTs worth the cost (that is my understanding). IRIS-T unlike ASRAAM is also claimed to be able to combat interceptors fired towards its mother jet. So, as far as I can see, there is nothing wrong with the title of this thread, IRIS-T clearly outperforms ASRAAM when it comes to close range, making it the better short range air-to-air missiles

Yep, just seen his new post. It appears he’s not interested in the slightest in the thread as is and is just here to steer it off-topic, just flag it, and if needed, report. Honestly, what a sad spectacle.

3 Likes

Ahhh yes, so ASRAAM beat 9X, Python 4, Python 5, R-73M, and it’s not even considered for one of the best.

1 Like