IRIS-T SL - The Surface Launched variant

I think You confused it with UAE tbh

Oh youre right

KSA doesnt use the any of the IRIS-T SL variants.
Egypt ordered the SLM and SLX but all of the prodced missiles, launchers and radars are going to Ukraine at the moment

I agree that France should get its own systems.

But lets not forget Germany recieved VT-1 first and enjoyed it quite a lot, even tho it was never adopted in the first place.

1 Like

eh everything balances out, now france has the way better spaa, besides that france gets tiger helis with hot 3 capability which doesnt exist in real life

ignoring how france has no relationship to the IRIS-T, it wouldnt be 11.0, you are aware they are fire and forget missles stronger then the current japanese type 81 kai spaa ? Adding to that radars, better mobility if we look at the boxer variant and more

war thunder players when they have to actually read before speaking

True, thats why i stopped complaining when they added ITO-90’s.

Is there any source stating the maximum speed of IRIS-T SLS when ground launched? Does it still reach Mach 3?

no idea
but probably not

680 m/s or mach 2,05 according to this paper published by the Swedish Military Academy, which gets the figure from another paper published by the Swedish Air-defence Regement which uses the SLS on the EldE 98 platform.

Also has a .50 cal on the roof, so it would have some minimal self-defense capability against ground vehicles. At the very least it would be able to shoot up enemy SPAA trucks and anything else that’s open-top or minimally armored. Which is a minor factor, but it helps.

It is worth noting that they were evaluating an prototype CAMM-ER (page 77):

What needs to be critically questioned is the required all-weather suitability of IRIS-T SL, but not the range. CAMM-ER would only have been ready for procurement three years later, if at all. And during this time, this guided missile would have been further developed, which would have led to a new assessment.

Also Thales (the main contractor) didn’t seem to fully agree (page 55):

“In particular, it is wrong (and damaging to business) to speak of a fair-weather rocket in the case of the IRIS-T SL and of a rocket with a range of only 20 km in the case of the CAMM-ER. Due to the evaluations carried out elsewhere (DE, UK, IT, SE, …), such statements from Switzerland cannot be reproduced and are damaging to the reputation of the procurement authorities involved (Switzerland or the countries mentioned) and also the manufacturers."

it seems plausible to me, CAMM-ER seems to have a faster acceleration but a shorter motor of almost the same diameter compared to IRIS-T SLM meaning the motor will burn out faster on CAMM-ER than on IRIS-T

IRIS-T SLM has had around 240 intercepts with over 90% intercept rate (launches vs hits)
which is impressive and plausible (if the 240 intercepts is correct) as thats about the amount of SLM missiles ever made.
Diehl will Produktion von Iris-T SLM verdoppeln und Raketen für das Artilleriesystem PULS herstellen (hartpunkt.de)
there’s also a model of the SLX variant (thick boi… holy shit man)

they still need to make some decisions on the warhead and rocket motor. has a TRL of 5-6. IOC in about 4 years. supposed to be interchangeable with SLM pods on the same launcher

and also SLX is not a “long range” variant its the extended medium range variant (xMRAD). dont blame me for that lol

3 Likes

yeah and HYDEF has a new model

now with a booster though this one is not the Mk72 of an SM-6 or SM-3

3 Likes

what is the hydef?

anti hypersonic

HYpersonic DEFense
its a missile specifically built to intercept current and future hypersonic weapons (probably also ballistics).
its an EU effort to develop a system and Diehl is responsible for the interceptor hardware. its all managed by a spanish company

1 Like

ah