Hull Armor of the M1 Abrams

Well, if we found No. 8 at this point, and it also had removed the hull limits, it would be more evidence that the hull limit no longer mattered.

At this point, he needs to find a newer document pertaining to License Number SUB-1536 that once again limits the hulls. But every update/amendment to license has both turrets and hulls authorized for unlimited DU use.

From at least 2005 up until 2033, Abrams tanks have DU in the hull. Other sources show DU being in hulls as early as 1998. The budget forms show that the DOE frontal upgrades happened as early as 2002.

3 Likes

It very much sounds like you dont understand how ratification, amendment, renewals and licenses actually work.
They are ALL referencing a main document and make small changes to it. NOT to eachother. They are ALL changes to SUB-1536. It does not matter in what order the amendments come unless they change the same point in the original document. So having amendment 8 changes nothing in this discussion because amendment 9 changes it to be without limits. Unless there is a newer amendment (again limiting it to 5 hulls) the original document is changed to what it says in amendment 9.

Edit:
Amendments are like using an eraser and removing parts of the text and replacing it with new text. But with a paper trail so you still know what it said before it got erased.

3 Likes

It’s impossible to find that article online, byt this book contains it: Jane’s Armour and Artillery 1995-96 (Jane’s Armour & Artillery) 16th edition

You guys need to stop complaining smh!!!

5 Likes

A 120mm heat shell vs 58kg of rocket propelled HE. Seems like a fair comparison in my books.

22 Likes

This comparison is really dumb ngl

15 Likes

These are really the best “arguments” NATO haters have at this point. They can’t be correct, so they are going to be dumb.

3 Likes

You’re comparing heat shells to giant rockets what is wrong with you? Compare DM53 and watch the Abrams light up like a Christmas tree.

9 Likes

This has to be satire. Right? … Right?

11 Likes

Look folks…this is what Russian propaganda looks like. Nice weapon/ammo choice references there.

4 Likes

Abrams in game is not historically accurate. A joke is what they are. DU in 5 hulls…/rolls eyes.

1 Like

It comes from the war thunder memes reddit. That should say enough about the intention of the post.

4 Likes

Gaijin hates all nations that aren’t Russia with passion, that much is pretty much confirmed at this point.

1 Like

inb4 a Russia main unironically assumes it’s factual and uses it in a genuine argument and didn’t know this was a shitpost

5 Likes

Idk they have this weird obsession with making top tier sweden ground really good for some reason.

2 Likes

because Sweden is not a NATO country Lol.

Sweden isn’t a NATO country…YET!

4 Likes

You misunderstood, I when I said M1A1 production had nearly completed I meant including Heavy Armor Versions. Which as we have just learned sacrificed CE protection for KE protection.

You need to be more specific with what you are talking about, the M1A1 HA was the first M1 with DU armour, it entered service in 1988, then there was the M1A1 HC which entered service late 1990 i.e. the HC entered service after the new armour package had entered service, then there is also the M1A1 HA+ and M1A1D, FYI the M1A1D was the digitalised M1A1.

The AIM/SA program on the other hand was basically a complete resetting of the M1A1s i.e. complete refurbishment, the original AIM had the same armour as the HC / M1A2, as did the original SEP, however in 2002 they all started to receive the improved armour.

The British designed a new Chobham for M1A2 but only 62 were build

Incorrect again, the source you are talking about is this:

M1 production

The Block 2 was the M1A2:

Block II

Regardless as can be seen today neither of the things in the first source came to fruition as there are way more then 62 M1A2s and the M1 Abram production didn’t stop in 1990. The M1A2s incorporated the improved turret armour, they didn’t incorporate the improved hull at the time due to weight constraints, they however were going to add it later on, which I believe most likely occurred in the M1A2 SEP via a non-DU armour upgrade as it weighs less then DU, which is why with the weight reduction program that was implemented the M1A2 SEPs weight didn’t increase much even with completely new armour.

The US had apparently tested the improved DU armour in 1989:

Armour tested

However from preliminary testing the US wasn’t entirely happy with the armour, this then corroborates what Flame added, as the improved CE armour was tested in December 1989:

Project Sandwich

Meaning HAP-2 (2nd gen DU armour) was most likely this armour package + multi-hit capability.

The 2002 armour package was a completely new armour, as it did not exist in 1989/90 as it did not get ballistic testing done until 2000, the M1A2 SEP’s likewise incorporated that armour, what my post was talking about for the M1A1, was the M1A1 being upgraded via a mod, that M1A1 most likely became a SEP, AIMv2/SA or FEP, because that is how US upgrade programs work:

Thus, the armour from 2002 was a completely new armour package.

15 Likes

BRL-1 armor composition.

We all know that BRL-1 was used in M1 and M1IP, it have 350mm with APFSDS and 750mm with HEAT, which is what we have in the game. and the way its composite armor is arranged is like this.

BRL-2 armor composition.

The BRL-2 is something that is still classified, in terms of the arrangement of the NERA panels, but all I know is that it protects better than the BRL-1 against 25% HEAT and 35% against APFSDS. But I wonder if it was used on the M1A1 or just the first M1A2 got it.
That would take the current Hull protection of around 380-400mm to 500-540mm against APFSDS. That included with the thicker armor above the fuel tanks on the UFP would make the M1A2 much more competitive at top tier if implemented.

9 Likes

What’s strange is that Gaijin thinks the US only upgraded their armor with DU in the turret but didn’t upgrade the composite armor in the hull, right ? 540mm is not OP, it can still be penetrated easily by L27A1 and 3BM60.

8 Likes