How on earth did the F4F-4 Wildcat ever make it to 3.0 in Air RB?

so here’s my problem: I don’t doubt you have that experience, because I looked up your profile, and you aren’t Alvis. On the other hand, I don’t believe you have that much experience and compare it favorably to other 3.0s.

I certainly do and do.
Is it the best? No, but that doesnt impact its usage and capabilities.

no offence but wisla calling P-40 worse gives it away if you had any doubts. And I somewhat answered your question using quite objective metrics. People can do well in it or badly in it. Same goes for most planes.
I would put it same br as f4f-3 british one can stay 2.7 maybe.

2 Likes

Possibly a victim of the fact that Gaijin refuses to separate Air RB and Ground RB BRs.

Perhaps it was tearing up too many tanks with 6 x .50s (30mm pen) so it got upped and forgot about.

I’ve been playing the Yak 1b (same BR) a bit. Wildcats are absolute fodder for that thing.

2 Likes

How do you think it got changed in the first place?

Probably has a lot of kills in ground rb. US 12.7s at those low brs are great for ground pounding.

If it is really that bad in air rb, it will end up getting moved down at the end of this year or next year. The br seperation will help.

1 Like

I don’t see many wildcats in the game in general, including in grb. I see way more hellcats/thunderbolts/mustangs

I was about to say I haven’t seen a single Wildcat in low tier while I have been grinding France and Italy

because it’s a bloody good aircraft.

IMO, the p40 is worse, i just dont care about BR.

1 Like

TBH I have more experience in the British one at 2.7, where it is one of my favourite low-tier vehicles. The slightly better stats of the F4F-4 are probably enough to tip it up by 0.3.

Ok why is it worse

The F-4F isn’t good at 2.7…

1 Like

Yeah I used the British one in ground RB for that for a couple of matches since GB doesn’t really have any great ground attack aircraft in lower ranks.

I use it in GRB too. It works really well.

heavier, less agile, performs worse at low speeds.

Ok, but the P-40 isn’t a complete slouch in a fight either and goes a great deal faster than the F-4F. Besides all of this, the F-4F itself isn’t even a good hold S plane to begin with? It will not do it for more than a few turns.

I use w and s for throttle :)

It deserves more than you give it credit for.
I would take wildcat over p40 any day of the week.

1 Like

Based on the fact that DEFYN thinks it’s the worst prop of all time and playing it I can say the following:

• It’s basically a Zero, meaning you’re super slow and everyone can deal with you in a 1 vs. 1
  • However you can still easily get kills from people misjudging your ability to pull very hard, bringing the .50cals on target

So it fits the general fighting style of inexperienced pilots much better than something like a P-40 or Corsair, that while much better in experienced hands, might not work with new pilots.

As a Vet you are however limited by the ability of the plane, so while you might be able to get some kills by punishing mistakes, you probably end up dying sooner or later.

Yesterday I was being BnZed by a Yak-9. I was able to reverse him twice but he always pulled another loop that I couldn’t follow after the first, so I wasn’t able to hit him.
In general, as long as others go up, there’s just little you can do since the plane has very bad climb and loses so much energy in turns.

1 Like

DEFYN did a video on it?