Harrier 2 potential future loadouts

As can be seen above they are looking at a potential upgrade to allow the carriage of AIM-9X block 2, but it’s probably waiting for the upgrade to go through on the AH-1Z as well before we see them loaded since there is likely a significant stock of older missile motors, so the potential for weaponeering to use up old motors is likely so we may well see the basic -9X first, since the motor is common between the -9M & -9X (basic).

The above reference is non specific but @MiG_23M might be able to help vis ID them since we know there are differences

Yes, that is 100% true, but one can argue its primary purpose for the cable upgrades is for additional stand off weapon carrying capacity as shown in the ugrade plan.

The aim9X is merely a defensive weapon. The Harriers would not operate in contested airspace. That is why they are rarely seen carrying 2x sidewinders.

The cable upgrade was for additional precision guided standoff munitions. Which strike and CAS operations are the Harriers primary role.

Additionally I have not had the chance to look into it yet, but the cable upgrade can be in reference to Aim-120C. Not the A/B

The Harrier can very well have always been Aim-120A capable on SA 1 & 7 and it is the C that needs the 1760 Cable upgrade.

Unless someone has proof, that all aim-120 variants require the new 1760 umbilical quick release cable. I have yet to find out.

As per;

Its also to allow organic protection of the MV-22 Osprey from the ESG allowing the partial replacement of F-14 / F/A-18 airframes that would otherwise be needed to provide the capability and allow operations to be performed independent from a CSG that would otherwise be needed.

1 Like

What people tend to forget is that the Harrier always was, is, and will be a ground attack aircraft. You can shove an advanced radar and air to air missiles on it but that’s still not its primary purpose.

1 Like

(with the possible exception of Sea Harrier. That said, even that had a reasonable A/G array)

1 Like

Where is my air to ground on my sea harrier

1 Like

Now in dev server USMC AV-8B+ like italy tech tree. in fact AV-8B+ (USMC) carry AGM-65E & AGM-65F Maverick but AGM-65D & AGM-65G placeholder

I guess USMC AV-8B+ from Operation Iraqi Freedom but in dev server armament AV-8B+ (Marina Militare) placeholder

I wonder if the AV-8B’s can swap out it’s cannon for lets say a AAM like on the FA.2 Sea Harrier

AV-8B does not have fuselage AMRAAM option, so it is not possible.

But it could swap (Both cannon and ammo pod) it out for a TER of ordnance or the TGP & strakes.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170620220801/http://alternatewars.com/SAC/AV-8B_Harrier_II_SAC_-_October_1986.pdf#page=14

and

The TGP alternately fits on the Right hand inner wingstation.

This is not related with the availability of fuselage AMRAAM. The Sea Harrier and the AV-8B are very different aircraft, and the removable gun pod is for mounting strakes when the mission does not require a gun, not for loading AMRAAM.

Am I seeing this wrong or does this picture show AV-8B Plus with Sidewinder on the outrigger station?

Open to see the picture

Source: World Air Power Journal Volume 32

It, does we know the AV-8B has the facilities to mount the outrigger w/ Sidewinders, it just isn’t done in practice. (see left hand image below for a fit test, right hand is Sea Harrier FA.2)

The biggest stores configuration issue I could see was the ability to mount both the GAU-12/A, and the LITENING TGP (on the CL station) simultaneously(TGP could alternately be mounted on righthand inboard wing station). additionally that it uses the AGM-65G instead of the -F, and lacks the -65E & outer wing station AIM-120s.

It does seem like we don’t have a Current Harrier, as the loadout may include AGR-20, JDAM, AIM-9X and AIM-120C, Sidearm, etc.

1 Like

It could mount it just never cleared for it

Unless its a British Harrier