Grumman F-14D Super Tomcat - End of a Legendary Era

no evidence for that besides a single photo afaik

Updated & reorganized F-14D specs; added supplemental data and diagrams of the F-14D SAC. I am hesitant to include NAVAIR 01−F14AAD−1 in specs and sources since it is technically still restricted to the public outside the US unless stated otherwise.

Anyway, I found information from the globalsecurity website that detailed the avionic systems for the F-14D. Here: F-14 Tomcat

It did mention MIL-STD-1553D DMDB in there.

3 Likes

yea dont share somethinng if its resticted outside the US that’s not a good idea.

Since we already have the F-14A and F-14B, this should probably be added to the game at some point.

But personally I have to disagree about the AIM-120 and VTAS. The Predeployment Update software, which is required for the AIM-120 employment on the F-14D, has never been applied to a production aircraft.

VTAS makes even less sense than the AMRAAM. It was only temporarily tested on the F-14A and never been discussed or suggested for integration into the F-14D. While there could be some feasibility for AMRAAM (although I’m still personally against it), VTAS is just impossible. Maybe we could add VTAS to the F-14A Early in game, it’s a completely different story for the F-14D.

2 Likes

I mean, the AIM-120 was never actually integrated into the F-14D either, so why would the software matter for its addition?

Likewise, if Yak-141 got HMS because “it would have received it”, I’d say the F-14D is more than elligible considering the preceding variants actually had tested the VTAS, so integrating it into the F-14D wouldn’t have been a large problem.

Wouldnt that be accounted for well know “previsions for AIM-120” that F-14 received? You can find it in couple sources

The U.S. Navy phased out VTAS several years before the F-14D’s deployment. It was obsolete and produced in very small numbers, so no one asked to put it on the F-14D.

It is separate effort. The Pre-Deployment Update, as the name implies, was planned before the F-14D’s deployment, but was delayed and eventually cancelled in 1996. The term ‘provisions for AIM-120’ most likely refers to the physical ability (launchers and involved stuffs) to load and carry AMRAAMs.

good stuff

We still have some vehicles in-game that aren’t/weren’t capable of using certain weaponry, like the German premium Mig-21 with SARH missiles it couldn’t use, I’m pretty sure the first Mig-29 couldn’t use R-27ER because it was added way later to other, upgraded Mig-29 variants, etc.

Altough I can see why you’re against the AMRAAM, I believe it would be better for them to add it to this final F-14D variant, so it differs more from the previous variants, and so that it makes it less likely to be a premium (instead of something like an F-14A late).

1 Like

Personally, I think the F-14D is already huge improvement over the F-14B just by having radar with all-aspect look-down/shoot-down capability. Given the low BR across the F-14 family, I think the F-14D would be a very competitive aircraft even without the AMRAAM, if the BR is on the same level as the F-15A.

Of course, it’s all up to the developers. Since I don’t want to get in the way of others expressing their opinions, so I’ll leave it at that.

5 Likes

I don’t know in the future gajin add F-14D limited active radar homing Air-to-Air Missile AIM-54C & AIM-54+ only but without AIM-120 or AIM-54C & AIM-54C+ and AIM-120B

But semi-active radar homing AIM-7MH & AIM-7P, maybe

I’m not sure 2x AIM-9M or AIM-9M-8 stock

1 Like

would be nice to have, with aim95 and aim120a

1 Like

i know this is an enormous strech, but if we’re going to add experimental missiles, it would be very cool if it got either:
the ACIMD

Spoiler

or the YAIM-152 (i personally think this one just looks better)

Spoiler

AFAIK the ramjet motor was tested successfully, and other missiles arround the time were getting components from other missiles to save money (like late AIM-54Cs getting seekers from the AMRAAM), so they could frankenstein something together with a bit(or a lot) of guesswork.

that looks so cool, would be a interesting addition if they added that

+1
Meteor before it was cool

2 Likes
3 Likes

I love this video

I have a couple of witness accounts of former navy seals that have witnessed the AIM-120 being loaded onto an F-14D during Desert Storm

also, i forget the term but trying to get the person in charge of the weaponry on the F-14’s witness account with possibly documents showing proof of AIM-120’s being used operationally

super tomcat yes