French Coastal Fleet Closed Testing Begins Soon™!

It’s aboat damn time!

2 Likes

I play mostly NAB and planes can be a real menace around that BR…i know because I am sometimes that side of evil. SS11 pales when compared to the RIM-24 on the Douglas and I doubt there will be mnay opportunities to use it vs other boats. I expect what you’ll end up with is a slow, subpar 40mm gunboat with a gimmick added.

But staying positive…finally a French coastal tree even if I question some of the capabilities/BRs!

1 Like

I really want to be excited about this as a “French main”, but coastal is so awful right now.
Je ne peux pas le faire.

1 Like

Mon Dieu!!!

Is it gonna get ss 12 and ss11m it used, ss11m has HE charge Type 140CCN. Also used exocet only had 1 tho, would be funny too kill one destroyer then go to cap to resupply.

2 Likes

He charge would be a upgrade over the as11 heat it gets now on dev. AS12s would actually make it viable at its br with 8km range and not 3km. otherwise its heavily overtiered boat with very limited use for atgms and its just a very slow twin bofors boat that normally would be like 3.0

1 Like

on another note dont have solid source yet but AS.12Ms would be 5km range not 8 so wouldnt be as long range. they still are far behind RIM and nettunos damage wise. but they would have their uses with an actual speed.

1 Like

i just tested it, so hot take :

low br MG is really weak, although it isn’t as bad as i initially thought.

I didn’t test the heavy barge and the mid tier ships, so i won’t comment on them

VLT-1 and 2 are fine imo, had some good torp run with them. The orientable torp tubes are also a nice unique feature for the tree

SS-11 is a nice addition for la Combattante, but the range, speed, and heat charge means it is not usable against anything except small torpedo boats. Even large coastal vessel can take a hit without even feeling it. Aiming for ammo rack seems to be the only thing working to do a substantial ammount of damage, but since the missile isn’t top down like a shell, it’s very situational it seems like.
La Combattante could really use the SS-12 as many said above, a few more km, a bit faster, and a somewhat respectable HE would help

TLDR, pretty OK implementation, with a few improvments possible here and there

5 Likes

Ss11m ss12m both have 5.5 km range, has Type 140CCN HE charge, which has 28kg of explosives. Also i believe they never even used the regular ss11 or ss12, they even changed the missle turret to fit the exocet.

2 Likes

As a player who plays all forms of RB, I’m pretty excited for this honestly. I’ve been playing a bit of Italian Coastal lately.

Been looking forward to this for a very long time. I hope the SS.12 is added to the Combattante, and I hope other boats such as the Trident-class, LCM Monitor, and the Sherman barge are added soon. Obviously any new tree needs time to grow, but there’s a lot of potential for fun and interesting boats here!

And to those who continue to bash naval, naval players, or the lack thereof, please find another joke to tell. Gaijin is capable of developing more than one aspect of the game at once, and the more content added to naval, the bigger it will grow. Does it need work? Yes, but so does the rest of the game. Constant tweaks are required to keep it all running smoothly, so don’t act like naval is anything special. I enjoy naval very much, and though it can be slow at times, I know that as more content is added, more people will play it, and Gaijin will work on it more. If you don’t like it, then don’t play it and let us who do enjoy it.

3 Likes

Curious question: why french boats with guns at the stern only still holds all their ammo in the bow part?

thanks a lot to add this french costal tree!!!

Probably weight balance reasons, and/or space available.

currently on that french grind
we ballin

you are about to unlock 2 very fine ships

Guichen, Marceau, Emile Bertin and Colbert are the most fun ships in this tree imo

2 Likes

My condolences

Keep grinding 👍

Mogador in the files, we will get the most usefull DD of our tree soon ❤️

3 Likes

tldr for SS.11 naval warheads is they all feature similar filler same as heat version. 140CCN is just HEAT warhead with bigger cone so not a big upgrade for war thunder standard and there’s 140AP02 naval SAP warhead all get 1.54kg filler given and ok penetration.
Hard to tell which is better at this point but probably SAP warhead for the pure damage and making holes in hulls.
As for SS.12M i believe filler is more around 5kg with whole warhead weight of 30kg and range reduced cause its not air launched but obviously its still way better than current version.

1 Like

regarding the SS-12’s range, most sources seems to refer to 5-6km

for example : https://www.lemonde.fr/archives/article/1968/01/17/les-missiles-ss-12-de-nord-aviation-armeront-des-vedettes-rapides-de-fabrication-britannique_2511158_1819218.html