Ford V 3000 S with 20 ItK/40 VKT

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

In the full size photo there are 4 of these trucks. Crew count is either 7 or 8.

Spoiler

A textbook example of a milk truck with an AA-gun used by Finnish Defence Forces. There isn’t a whole lot known about this combination, but from the photo we can tell it’s just as simple as it gets: AA gun with it’s original mount lifted on back of a truck and bolted on. Both the truck and AA-gun are relatively well known.

Ford V 3000 S was manufactured in Germany and 39 them were handed to Finland together with the StuG III assault guns. Right after the war army had total of 2253 Ford trucks of various models, but I have no information if there were more of V 3000 S. Initially they were used for the assault gun company logistics and maintenance and in 1951 also as mobile AA platform. For 1940s it was quite simple, yet advanced and well performing medium truck.

Empty 2540kg

95hp V-8 gasoline engine

5 forward and 1 reverse gears

85 km/h top speed

20 ItK/40 VKT = 20mm, AA-cannon, adopted to service in 1940, manufactured by Valtion Kone Tehdas

A modern light anti-air cannon by all accounts. It was designed by Aimo Lahti, based on his Lahti L-39 anti-tank rifle. The first guns got into service in 1941, though it only got into real numbers in 1943 and production ceased soon after the war. The only modification done to them after the war was the switch to pendulum-sights. The 200 guns remained in service until 1970s and in storage until 1988.

The gun shared certain similarities with the German 20mm Flak guns: The same 20x138mmB cartridge, same barrel length and was fed from 20 round box magazines. For single gun the theoretical fire rate was 700-750rpm, meaning the twin guns could throw their 40 rounds into air in two seconds. Practical fire rate was 250-350rpm for one gun. The twin mount had weight of 652kg in action and had elevation from -10 to +90 degrees.

Notice the magazine racks attached to the gun mount. It is apparent these were not always used due to their size.

In addition to German ammunation, Oy Tikkakoski Ab designed and produced their own types. Unfortunately I do not have any data about possible post WWII ammo, but here is a self-destructing HEF-T from 1943:

20 ittkr-Vj5,5
-880-890m/s muzzle velocity
-116g with fuze
-6 TNT
-5,5 second tracer

It is not known exactly how long and widely used the combination of this truck and AA-gun was. Despite numerous photos of the gun, I haven’t found a single one being pulled by a vehicle or horses. The simple wheeled carriage is very light construction and doesn’t appear suitable for high speed movement at all, rather it’s just for the crew to move it into position. It appears the gun was used on board truck to cover movement of heavy artillery units. In destination the light gun would be quickly dismounted and dug in ground for cover and camouflage.

The pegs where magazine racks were attached are well visible in this photo.

Ford V 3000s were retired from FDF use by 1966, making them the last war time trucks to do so, but this was not the end of AA-gun trucks in their use. It is likely other trucks were use to mount the same 20mm VKT, but the real successor in this line was the German Unimog truck with 30 ItK/62 (HS.831) cannon. Later came different Sisu trucks with twin 23 ITK 61 (ZU-23-2) and some also with the highly ugpraded 23 ITK 95… Lack of designation for the truck with the AA-gun still remains an issue for one who tries to search information about them.

I finally found a photo of the magazine crates and only now noticed how two of the trucks on the parade both have seven such boxes on board. The larger box next to front cabin is a box containing spare parts and maintenance equipment for the gun.

Spoiler

boxes 1
boxes 2

7 boxes x 4 magazines in box x 20 rounds in each magazine we get 560 rounds stored. If we include those 8 magazines on racks on the gun mount, we get 720 rounds and if the gun is readily loaded, we get to 760 rounds. I am not certain how things go with other SPAA in game.

Sources

Spoiler

D 666/9 Lastkraftwagen 3 t Ford V 3000 S

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:D_666-9_Lastkraftwagen_3_t_Ford_V_3000_S.p

Puolustusvoimien moottoriajoneuvot 1960-2000, Markku Mäkipirtti, 2006, ISBN-10 952-5026-50-7

20mm in Finland - Weapons and Ammunation prior to 1945, Mika Pitkänen, Timo Simpanen, 2007, ISBN 978-952-5026-59-7

Itsenäisen Suomen Ilmatorjuntatykit 1917-2000, Raimo Vehviläinen, Ahti Lappi, Markku Palokangas, 2005, ISBN 951-91-8449-2

Autocannon, Anthony G. Williams, 17.2.2023, ISBN 1785009206

FINNISH ARMY 1918 - 1945: ANTIAIRCRAFT GUNS PART 1

5 Likes

I saw the M3 half tracks with the 75mm trailed and got an idea.

??? Was this possibly built?

its already in the game

+1

After WWII Finland bought a load of unarmored surpluss M2 half-tracks from White company in USA. These were used about ten years mainly to pull 15cm artillery, until replaced with modern trucks in early 1960s. At least this one was also equipped with the same 20mm gun as the Ford truck. Earlier I considered doing suggestion about it, but I couldn’t find stats of such lightened M2 half-track. Since it has no armor, the only difference would have been mobility. Certainly it would still be slower on good ground, but possibly slightly better on cross-country.

3 Likes

Dang, actually, I don’t remember ever seeing this before.

Not your fault, there is like 2000 vehicles in the game ;)

I know both are in game, I meant like, someone mounted at German 75mm on a M3.

ah sry, my mistake

Ur good

I like it a lot! It’d be a nice low-tier SPAA for Sweden/Finland. +1

It’s quite rare to see since it was only obtainable during one of the battepasses, and you can’t find it on the market (at least when I last checked).

I wish Finnish Defence Force would release their pot war photo archive some day soon, so we could get more photos of this and bunch of other rare vehicles.

This month I’ll try to make a suggestion about another Finnish AA milk truck: Sisu with twin 23 ITK 61 or 95 (ZU-23-2). Any info would be appreciated, but these are now my top questions:
-which trucks are most common platforms
-which gun models are used
-official specifications of these trucks
-ammo and crew count
-stories about their usage

Added some more information about both the truck and the gun from additional sources and fixed few little mistakes:
-truck retirement year
-magazine racks on the gun mount
-ammo load
-Finnish made HEF-T

+1 Milktrucks always welcome!!

2 Likes

There appears to have been at least one more 20 ItK/40 VKT carrier as well, seemingly some kind of Unimog truck? I’m not sure though. This is from the 1963 parade

4 Likes

That’s a great find! It’s most likely Unimog S 404.111. It would definitely have way better mobility than the old Ford and the folding cabin could allow firing low to the front. Also there appears to be more technical data about the truck itself. Unfortunately figuring out crew and ammo load would be even more difficult.

3 Likes

Just another photo of that ammo crate for 20 ItK/40 VKT infront of the gun.

1 Like

We need this for the SPAA lines!!