F-14 Tomcat: History, Performance & Discussion

You’re not stupid, just unaware of the already filed reports and sources.

Top speed was already adjusted to current documentation per others’ reports.

Most documentation is available online, I do not have them saved or catalogued. Any reports made likely have them attached in the hidden files section.

This is why top speed is still met regardless of missile loading… Otherwise the Gripen would top out at mach 1.4 at altitude when carrying 2x sparrows and some sidewinders.

It is one of the best modeled flight models in the game as far as I’m aware. It may even be slightly overperforming in turn rate with wings fully forward w/ flaps.

I’ve noticed this, haven’t played it in a while so I’d need to backtrack and read the datamine changes later to see what happened.

No changes to its config in over 2 months. May be there is something in the gameparams I have missed. The only recent radar change I remember was the “fix” to this bug a week ago. May be it somehow affected ARH missiles.

I don’t think I’ve played the tomcat much in 3-4 major updates, but there is clearly an issue. It may have something to do with the radar and not the missile as well… Or both.

The best thing they could do is capitalise on Hearblur’s work and model both the F14 A and B after DCS’s, but they like to do their own (questionable) research and modeling, so they can pick what features they want or dont want instead of making an accurate aircraft for once…

If what comrade 23 is saying is true about the fm, then there is trully no hope XD… The planes on sim fly completely different than their DCS counterparts so Idk what to tell you… I rather trust a company that has an excellent record of making very detailed and accurate models with attention to detail, rather than Gaijin…

3 Likes

Maybe it’s not even the plane. War Thunder just wasn’t built for these altitudes and speeds and I feel like the game has fallen behind what’s in it.

I agree that they could turn an eye to Heatblur when it comes to attention to detail.

3 Likes

DCS’ flight models have had a questionable history. There are multiple teams of developers, low fidelity flight models, the performance was often extrapolated in the past from questionable sources (especially from Razbam)… And they didn’t update them when better information was available. It can at best be considered a cockpit sim.

Please, don’t refer to me as “comrade”, it appears you’re trying to be insulting.

1 Like

DCS flight models are good for a civilian sim, definitely better than gaijin. I test the F-15 in DCS and I would give it about 85% similarity to the real aircraft. There is no better F-15C on the market.

2 Likes

Falcon BMS imo does a better job at flight models. They take it seriously. Even a group of people like @BBCRF made superior flanker flight models to what is found in DCS as another example.

While DCS is good in your eyes, in mine it’s not a single step up from WT.

1 Like

Last I checked I’ve heard DCS was a cashgrab with some recent drama, not so different than gaijin

3 Likes

I don’t know what the F-15 model is in BMS, I’ve heard the Su-30 in DCS is criticized for over-performance bias, but I don’t know. I don’t judge.
In DCS, the F-15 has a pretty interestingly modeled AoA for me, there’s a Wing Rock, buffet where it should be, etc. It can go above 30 AoA and also maneuvers harder above 21 AoA.

4 Likes

Isn’t the Su-30 a fan project?

1 Like

The Su-30 FM for the DCS is still in development
while I’m making adjustments to the engine operation

2 Likes

Yes, it is.

I dont think you can compare low fidelity aircraft to the high fidelity ones. Since this is a page about the
F-14, I was refairing to Heatblur and Heatblur alone… There is nothing questionable about their work on the Tomcats and its the most accurate and well made module we have to this date… You dont need to take my word for it, there is a wide array of ex-pilots that have said so. Overall tho, to say that DCS is not a step up from War Thunder sounds like an extremely problematic statement to say the least…

P.S. I wasnt trying to insult you, it was merely a combination of your profile pic, name and how weird it seems to me to refer to you as an aircraft…

4 Likes

I’m suprised that we still have TWS jumping bug.

4 Likes

What about their F-5 flight models?

I haven’t looked into DCS’ F-5 flight model, or Falcon BMS for that matter. War Thunders’ is atrocious though… so the comparison wouldn’t be useful.

I don’t think you’ll find a better flight model than the one in DCS.

1 Like

Very excited to eventually get a new HUD when the F-14D is added. Biggest gamechanger is gonna be switching from the AWG-9 to the APG-71 though, unless the radar continues to be a high workload radar meant to be operated by a dedicated RIO, but with literally no modelling of said feature in WT.

It became extremely noticeable when I played top tier sim yesterday that the AWG-9 is just a terrible radar in sim when everyone else you face has MPRF radars and many have 19km ACM ranges, HMD’s, or both. The subpar performance of the AIM-54’s and 9L when everyone else has 9M, R-73, and Magic II also make the F-14 kind of a joke at this point. The nerf to BOL also hit this plane hard.

• Subpar IR missiles
  • Subpar/broken and unreliable radar missiles
  • Moderately good radar but worst in class radar ergonomics
  • High IR signature and bad flares

Bit of a tragic plane at this point in WT.

8 Likes

Bro the "Godly " AIM-54 doesn’t even maneuver towards a target when you fire it

3 Likes