Eurofighter Typhoon (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Also Germany and Italy showed real interest in the Spear III in 2023

Britain has already left Germany and Italy behind but ok

u clearly have no idea about eurofighters lol

Britain is in pre-election Purdah at the moment so the government is not allowed to make any major new purchasing decisions. Realistically a new government will be coming in and they will almost certainly carry out a defence review, so we’ll have to see the outcome of that as to whether we buy more Eurofighters.

Though Britain has apparently already funded the P4E upgrade:

Lyndon Hoyle said: “This is part of a major £2.35billion investment from the UK into Typhoon which also includes P4E, a package of upgrades designed to ensure nations can fully exploit new sensors. The third element of the investment will cover the series production of 40 ECRS Mk2 radars for the UK’s fleet of Tranche 3-standard Typhoon aircraft.

According to Eurofighter P4E is likely to include the AMK kit:

Current Programme 4 Enhancement (P4E) is under negation and shall be available in 2028 to all Nations. Aerodynamic Modification Kit (AMK) is planned to be part of the P4E growth path and will enable an AMK initial clearance assuring more flexible and heavier weapon configurations and new weapon integration.

It’s also yet to be seen if Germany will actually adopt PIRATE operationally on Tranche 5.

1 Like

Yup, honestly its just teasing with the current state.

All 3 of us getting the PIRATE and the AMK kit certainly would be the best case

Pretty sure if they just made PIRATE, LWS, and AMK standard, itd actually cut costs in the long run, since they wouldnt have to screw around with “optionals” and could just build all the jets the same, streamlining production…

Also is there any talk of Germany and Italy adopting ECRS Mk.2? Or is it just the UK at the moment?

Germany is developing their own Aesa version as stupid as that sounds. Its the whole keeping development and production inside their own countries. Just like Taurus and Storm Shadow which are nearly identical

Italy has joined the ECRS MK2 programme back in 2021

It will probably be installed on the alredy existing Trance 3 (and T2 if possible) and on the new T5

Didn’t Germany also spend a bunch of money developing their own DASS system, only to buy EuroDASS in the end?

that i dont know, not an aero expert, just know the surface stuff

I’m aware, but this is the first time as far as I know of an aircraft flying german colours mounting spear, and it’s a spicy bit of kit.

Tbh I could see spear 3 in game before brimstone. In the guidance mode likely to come to game (laser) effective range is about the same as brimstone, but the tti is much longer, would help to balance the quantity of brimstones/spear 3 one can bring.

How? We are embodying ECRS2 which is the MOST advanced of the efa radars.

The mica has a significantly shorter range the then public ranges of the aim120c. The meteor is of course an excellent missile but you are attempting to subscribe knowledge where there just isn’t any, seekers, datalinks are just as important as range states and you simply do not have the knowledge of. Attempting to say the 9x and 120 are shit is just… honestly strange more than anything. Literally all of these systems are extremely effective with their own positives and negatives and trying to declare them “shit” is either extremely ignorant, extremely nationalist, or just trolling.

he was refering to the AMRAAM in game i think, so the A variant

per public figures, mica is slightly longer range than AIM120A. Not by much though.

Would you be able to explain the posotives of the 9x, as looking at it from a surface level, it just seems worse for a higher cost. its more expensive than an ARAAM and I RIST, less range than an ASRAAM, Less mobile than both maybe…

In what way is the Mk2 superior to the Mk1?

if i am right the MK2 comes with eletronic warfare capability, but germany is developing a modified mk1 with basicaly the exact same purpose

Yep, EWAR is planned for the Mk.1 in its Step 2 upgrade
grafik

And Mk.2 is only planned to come into service in 2030, while the Mk.1 comes with the Tranche 4 next year

3 Likes