Eurofighter Typhoon (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

Not worth mentioning the tandem warhead, or the way the missiles can talk to each other so they each go for a different target when fired in a salvo. FAHW variant? Forget it.

Or the fact Brimstone has 12km range fired from a heli and 20km+ fired from a jet, while Brimstone II is 40km+ fired from a heli and 60km+ from a plane, while hellfire sits at a measly 8/11km depending on variant

1 Like

9 and 6 are warhead masses, not explosive masses. When it comes to explosive mass inside them they are 100% classified, so you wont get any detail legally. There is also a possibility that 9 and 6 are not real values, and true are classfied but we wont know that.

2 Likes

Obligatory posting of this video:

8 Likes

theres a vid kinda like that, except its russian tanks in combat getting slammed, ill see if i can find it (granted im not sure if it was ever confirmed to be brimstone, the strike pattern was similar iirc)

1 Like

Should be able to be radar queued, or potentially even queued from the IRST similar to how you have a forward view from the Jags integrated camera seeing as they don’t require a laser designator,

2 Likes

Yeah, but you never know with Gaijin

1 Like

Longbow

Longbow

This would be beneficial if it didn’t require 2-3 hits to kill targets already for ordnance with more explosive mass.

With 50% less explosive power I’m not sure this is the case. The idea that having less explosive mass means less performance is as sound as stating that a Sabot with 50% less mass has less performance. Energy transferred to target whether chemical or kinetic is still highly dependent on weight of the warhead or penetrator.

WHAT ARE YOU ON

You have come in this thread to declare that Hellfire is better because wiki said its warhead weighed more clearly meaning that Brimstone can’t kill anything

3 Likes

@Pacifica This guys constantly derails threads with pointless arguments that he starts and is not well favoured by the community

9 Likes

Isn’t explosive mass typically unconnected to penetration for HEAT warheads?

For example the SNEB has 0.34 kg explosive mass and 400 mm penetration, while the TOW has 3.75 kg explosive mass and 430 mm penetration, and the SS.11 has 2 kg explosive mass for 600 mm penetration.

Presumably explosive mass may impact spalling, but even then it’s not particularly well correlated IIRC.

6 Likes

the spalling pattern is probably similar anyway due to (my understanding) similar approach angles of both the Hellfire and Brimstone, and spalling wouldnt be a problem if spall bounced ingame.

spalling pattern wouldnt really be a concern if HEAT missiles overpressured properly, which they should if theyre penning ffs.

Too bad western nations like their High Explosive ANTI-TANK warheads for AT work while Russians prefer pure High Explosive warheads. Everyone knows ANTI-TANK warheads are bad vs tanks…

Daily reminder the S-25O have similar HE filler, but the 25O is an instakill if it lands anywhere near a tank, while the 65D will only kill if it kills enough crew or sets off ammo…

2 Likes

The difference between Brimstone and Hellfire is that you do not need to tell Brimstone where the target is before launch.

The pilot can define an area they want to engage targets in, then point the aircraft in the general direction of the target area, and ripple fire 12 brimstones. The missiles will then fly to the area and use their seekers to identify valid targets within the area (apparently they can tell tanks and other vehicles apart based on radar signature) and the 12 missiles will co-operate to each strike different targets (so you don’t end up with all 12 missiles piling into one tank - unless there is only one tank).

Brimstone does of course have the boring mode as well where you can just designated a specific target before launch.

9 Likes

Seems similar to the SDB II(GBU-53/B) in that sense, I Don’t remember but it may even share a seeker

It probably isn’t Brimstone exlclusive but the missile is also programmed to be able to target individual components.

Such as the ‘neck’ of a vehicle, a lot of the annoying Hellfire shots in-game that lead to no lethal damage are on for example the turret face, or the engine deck.

Brimstone explicitly can target lethal or non-lethal modules to ensure the highest (or lowest) probability of kill.

Simply put, even if it does have less energy transferred, it has a higher chance than most at being spent in a lethal area.

They do not. Brimstone doesn’t have an IR sensor. Just laser and MMW. However MBDA might have shared some of their seaker tech, as they are making the wings for it.
Looks amusingly similar to MBDA’s SPEAR 3 missile though.

SPEAR 3

GBU-53/B

GBU-53B-Small-Diameter-Bomb-II--SDB-II-

Brimstone without explosives can still penetrate a T-72 lol

1 Like

Well I could definitely be wrong, but the thickness of the penetrative jet would likely be thinner if it achieved similar penetration and should likely have worse post-pen performance. It may not be modeled well in war thunder by any means but I find it hard to believe it will work quite as well as it is supposed to unless they fix the behaviors.

I find that ordnance tends to explode on machine guns or optics and does no damage, war thunder needs a revised model.

3 Likes