Eurofighter Typhoon (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

isn’t it used by F35s on the QE though ?

1 Like

slightly off topic but

The schemas are very rough, but it seems to match your caculations regarding motor dimensions on MICAs and ASRAAMs @Flame2512

EDIT : source for those interested https://www.roxelgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/brochure-2021-roxel-uk-web.pdf

QE was designed by the UK so that more ‘volatile’ motors such as the one used on ASRAAM could be stored safely.

Basically what I am suggesting is that the system on CDG and US carriers (As they are likely similar due to the information sharing and cross-decking), are not suitable to safely house ASRAAM and therefore perhaps ASRAAM’s booster takes advantage of a compound that provides a better propellant than most other smokeless compounds in order to match reduced smoke compounds as used on MICA, but also has the drawback of being more volatile.

I haven’t seen any pictures of F-35’s with ASRAAM on the Wasp class Amphibious assault ships either, so I’d assume they too cannot safely store ASRAAM.

1 Like

I don’t buy that excuse from the Americans, and I also haven’t seen a reliable source for that having been their reason for pulling out.

The official reason they gave was that because Germany had pulled out ASRAAM was behind schedule and under-funded so should be cancelled as it would enter service too late to be useful. The MOD didn’t really buy that excuse though, in their view the US had been looking to get out of the ASRAAM programme for a while and were just using that as a convenient excuse.

Spoiler

7 Likes

But doesn’t AIM-9X not meet these requirements as well

AIM-9X recycled alot of components from the 9M probably for this reason, the only big things really new are the seeker (which is the same as on ASRAAM) and the steering section.

Cough cough Hughes Cough cough

1 Like

America works in mysterious ways.

Unless there’s something I’m missing AIM-9X doesn’t seem like a great missile. Short range performance is likely worse than IRIS-T / Python 5, while long range performance is worse than MICA / ASRAAM.

Seems like a worst of both worlds missile.

7 Likes

Arguably the range performance is likely to be worse than Python 5 if Python 4 is anything to go by. I would not be surprised if IRIS-T and Python 5 outclasses AIM-9X Block 2.

2 Likes

Its okay give it 2 years ingame and itll be the best SRAAM after US mains sob that it isnt a “kill in any aspect, any launch angle” missile

As i explained above, choice of 9X worked simmilary to Ajax choice. Some pressure here, some benefits there and we have a contract.

1 Like

It’s the relatively cheap option and does it job well enough, as well as having significant institutional & political inertia invested into the Sidewinder ecosystem as a whole to say the least, on top of being able to remanufacture existing stocks of missiles to some useful configuration, yes there might be better missiles out there but for the most part it won’t be fighting them, also Sidewinders are almost entirely optimized for range and is better than needing to use the gun, with modern tactics its also practically not going to see use unless things really go to shit considering how much has been pumped into radars, AMRAAMs and their follow on AIM-260, though if I’m honest the biggest issue is being stuck with the 5" form factor, which is technically a hold over from the original prototype using the at the time readily available HVAR’s rocket motor and having a shoe string and a some gum for a budget, which somehow seems to be a common thread for US Missile design once you get down to it (practically any guided missile / bomb designs from the mid '50s though '70s reuse a number of Sidewinder & Sparrow components anywhere they can).

The internal carriage issue is sort of half valid since they needed to cut down the AMRAAM’s control surfaces to make it fit in the main bay of the F-22(honestly the F-22 was the wrong choice, the F-23 was what was actually asked for), and the extra space needed would be an issue for the yet smaller shoulder bay ~127mm (5") vs 166mm (~6.5") motor diameter (Wingspan of a Sidewinder is ~280mm (11"), and the wingspan of an ASRAAM is 450mm (~17.7")) for an already built airframe, but then again they managed to cut down the AMRAAM to make it fit, but I have a feeling that it may have been a bit more involved to make the necessary changes to an existing airframe let alone what it would do to the stealth characteristics.

3 Likes

I was looking for a version of the Twin Missile Carrier image without the red arrow, and stumbled upon a second image of the TMC which I have not seen before. It is fitted under the other wing of what is presumably the same Spanish Eurofighter.

post-32885-0-59461700-1418548315

And for completeness here is the image everyone’s seen already (still not found a version without the arrow):

4 Likes

Nice find. Let’s hope the EFA’s in game will receive it.

1 Like

They dont? it was demonstrated on a german typhoon but it’s not used by anybody until P4E

1 Like

It is officially described as reduced smoke though(asraam).

i love how it just sounds like a minecraft arrow lmao

1 Like

could someone explain to me what the AMK kit is (im assuming its an engine upgrade of sorts) and the TMC is? and damn, got a whole ass department in here debating the characteristics of the ASRAAM and I RST lol. im surprised the 9x is just a 9l with some modifications as i was under the impression the 9x was this American wonder weapon. People always assume their immune to propaganda but here i am.

the AMK kit is additional add ons for the plane which affect the flight behaviour

Those tiny bits affect the plane a lot. There could be other parts but thats what i am aware of

Asraam long range king
IRIS-T short range king
Aim 9x, yeah its shit, its mass produced so that US has enough for all their plane. nearly every country has developed better missles because they dont need as many.
Same with Aim-120 you might have noticed one of the worst fox 3 missles

TMC i cant quite help right now

This is another good pic imo:

2 Likes